    beginning, sounds like a scam, to make the camera look cheap but in fact it
    isn't!

    Alan

    Alan Holmes, Aug 12, 2012

  2. Alan Holmes

    MC Guest

    George Kerby wrote:

    > On 8/12/12 3:42 PM, in article KyUVr.1141668$4,
    > "Alan Holmes" <> wrote:
    >

    > > So I have been in some of the supermarkets, and found something
    > > which suits, but when I asked about more information I was told I
    > > have to buy a memory card, so why the hell don't they include that
    > > in the camera in the beginning, sounds like a scam, to make the
    > > camera look cheap but in fact it isn't!
    > >
    > > Alan

    > A long time ago, when I was working a retail camera store (remember
    > those?), a long-time customer walked in wanting to purchase a (then)
    > new digital camera (D-30?). When he told me the same thing that you
    > are complaining about, I reminded him that his old SLR had not come
    > with any film. The look on his face was precious. AFAIK, to this day,
    > NO digital camera of any value has included a memory card.

    No but a good negotiator will always get a card thrown in. I just tell
    them that I want extras (free card etc.) or I may have to take my
    custom elsewhere.

    It usually works and I normally get a card and a case thrown in.
    Depends on the price of the camera of course. With a cheap and
    chearful compact it may not work but a more expensive job should get
    you some goodies.

    MC

    MC, Aug 13, 2012

  3. Alan Holmes

    MC Guest

    Alan Holmes wrote:

    > So I have been in some of the supermarkets, and found something which
    > suits, but when I asked about more information I was told I have to
    > buy a memory card, so why the hell don't they include that in the
    > camera in the beginning, sounds like a scam, to make the camera look
    > cheap but in fact it isn't!
    >
    > Alan

    Buying a "cheap" camera is often a false economy anyway. More often
    than not the camera built into your phone is better.

    Besides, memory cards are as cheap as chips these days.

    MC

    MC, Aug 13, 2012
  4. Alan Holmes

    gregz Guest

    "Alan Holmes" <> wrote:
    > So I have been in some of the supermarkets, and found something which suits,
    > but when I asked about more information I was told I have to buy a memory
    > card, so why the hell don't they include that in the camera in the
    > beginning, sounds like a scam, to make the camera look cheap but in fact it
    > isn't!
    >
    > Alan

    All my cameras have built in memory. Decide on pic size cause that matters
    more for storage, but storage is cheap these days.

    Greg

    gregz, Aug 13, 2012
  5. Alan Holmes

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sun, 12 Aug 2012 23:54:52 +0000 (UTC), gregz <>
    wrote:

    >"Alan Holmes" <> wrote:
    >> So I have been in some of the supermarkets, and found something which suits,
    >> but when I asked about more information I was told I have to buy a memory
    >> card, so why the hell don't they include that in the camera in the
    >> beginning, sounds like a scam, to make the camera look cheap but in fact it
    >> isn't!
    >>
    >> Alan

    >All my cameras have built in memory.

    He's referring to an SD card. SD cards are not included in the
    purchase price of a camera unless the retailer offers them in a
    package deal.

    The guy's shopping in a *supermarket* for a camera. The package deal
    is more likely to be a dozen eggs and a head of lettuce.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Aug 13, 2012
  6. Alan Holmes

    RichA Guest

    On Aug 12, 4:42 pm, "Alan Holmes" <> wrote:
    > So I have been in some of the supermarkets, and found something which suits,
    > but when I asked about more information I was told I have to buy a memory
    > card, so why the hell don't they include that in the camera in the
    > beginning, sounds like a scam, to make the camera look cheap but in fact it
    > isn't!
    >
    > Alan

    Spend more on a camera than a 24 of beer, you cheap clown.

    RichA, Aug 13, 2012
  7. Alan Holmes

    Martin Brown Guest

    On 12/08/2012 21:42, Alan Holmes wrote:
    > So I have been in some of the supermarkets, and found something which suits,

    How do you know it suits? Buying on price alone isn't at all sensible!
    If you said which one you were considering it would help.

    > but when I asked about more information I was told I have to buy a memory
    > card, so why the hell don't they include that in the camera in the
    > beginning, sounds like a scam, to make the camera look cheap but in fact it
    > isn't!
    >
    > Alan

    1GB will store about 80+ high quality 12Mpixel JPEGs or 30 raw images
    depending on compressibility and costs much less than a roll of film. If
    you shop around you can just about get 8GB sD for under £3 now.

    Memory cards these days are well under 50p per GB and laarge fast ones
    for video are all under £1/GB. See for example Amazon.co.uk:

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...as=aps&field-keywords=sd memory cards&x=0&y=0

    You would do well to buy your camera there too. Better prices much more
    detailed specifications and customer reviews online to help you avoid
    the cheap nasty lemons that the supermarkets sell to clueless punters.
    Supermarkets and even computer selling sheds are not the best place to
    buy memory cards unless you need it to use *instantly*.

    Be careful buying large memory cards as there is a good chance your
    cheap and nasty supermarket camera will not be able to use them. Very
    rarely the supermarkets do have real end of line bargains but you have
    to know what you are doing to find them.

    Even in the early days when memory was expensive digital cameras did not
    come with free memory thrown in although you could usually get them to
    give you something extra on a £1000 deal. The earliest digital cameras
    like my old Kodak DC-120 had a small amount of built in flash memory so
    that it could do in shop demos without risking theft of a then expensive
    "small" CF memory card (remember those)!

    Regards,
    Martin Brown

    Martin Brown, Aug 13, 2012
  8. Alan Holmes

    Dave Cohen Guest

    On Sun, 12 Aug 2012 16:26:37 -0500, George Kerby wrote:

    > On 8/12/12 3:42 PM, in article KyUVr.1141668$4, "Alan
    > Holmes" <> wrote:
    >

    >> So I have been in some of the supermarkets, and found something which
    >> suits, but when I asked about more information I was told I have to buy
    >> a memory card, so why the hell don't they include that in the camera in
    >> the beginning, sounds like a scam, to make the camera look cheap but in
    >> fact it isn't!
    >>
    >> Alan

    > A long time ago, when I was working a retail camera store (remember
    > those?), a long-time customer walked in wanting to purchase a (then) new
    > digital camera (D-30?). When he told me the same thing that you are
    > complaining about, I reminded him that his old SLR had not come with any
    > film. The look on his face was precious. AFAIK, to this day, NO digital
    > camera of any value has included a memory card.

    Well, not quite true, Canon throw in a very modestly sized card with at
    least their lower lines. I suspect this is so you can start to shoot right
    away (sort of like those cameras that include a useless built in small
    memory).

    Dave Cohen, Aug 14, 2012
  9. Alan Holmes

    Alan Holmes Guest

    "Martin Brown" <|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
    > On 12/08/2012 21:42, Alan Holmes wrote:
    >> So I have been in some of the supermarkets, and found something which
    >> suits,

    > How do you know it suits? Buying on price alone isn't at all sensible!
    > If you said which one you were considering it would help.
    >
    >> but when I asked about more information I was told I have to buy a memory
    >> card, so why the hell don't they include that in the camera in the
    >> beginning, sounds like a scam, to make the camera look cheap but in fact
    >> it
    >> isn't!
    >>
    >> Alan

    > 1GB will store about 80+ high quality 12Mpixel JPEGs or 30 raw images
    > depending on compressibility and costs much less than a roll of film. If
    > you shop around you can just about get 8GB sD for under £3 now.
    >
    > Memory cards these days are well under 50p per GB and laarge fast ones for
    > video are all under £1/GB. See for example Amazon.co.uk:
    >
    > http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...as=aps&field-keywords=sd memory cards&x=0&y=0

    Thanks, will look at that!

    Alan Holmes, Aug 14, 2012
  10. On Tue, 14 Aug 2012, Dave Cohen wrote:

    > On Sun, 12 Aug 2012 16:26:37 -0500, George Kerby wrote:
    >
    >> On 8/12/12 3:42 PM, in article KyUVr.1141668$4, "Alan
    >> Holmes" <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> So I have been in some of the supermarkets, and found something which
    >>> suits, but when I asked about more information I was told I have to buy
    >>> a memory card, so why the hell don't they include that in the camera in
    >>> the beginning, sounds like a scam, to make the camera look cheap but in
    >>> fact it isn't!
    >>>
    >>> Alan

    >> A long time ago, when I was working a retail camera store (remember
    >> those?), a long-time customer walked in wanting to purchase a (then) new
    >> digital camera (D-30?). When he told me the same thing that you are
    >> complaining about, I reminded him that his old SLR had not come with any
    >> film. The look on his face was precious. AFAIK, to this day, NO digital
    >> camera of any value has included a memory card.

    > Well, not quite true, Canon throw in a very modestly sized card with at
    > least their lower lines. I suspect this is so you can start to shoot right
    > away (sort of like those cameras that include a useless built in small
    > memory).

    Yes, my Cannon from about four years back included a 128meg or 256meg SD
    card. I thought it was quite thoughtful.

    Yes, no film camera came with film. Wait, I'm sure there were kits that
    included a box of film, along with a case and maybe a cloth to clean the
    lense. But at lest film has the point that it has an expiry date.

    I remember when I got my first floppy disk drive, spending about $500
    Canadian for the drive in a case with power supply, and a controller. And
    then I realize I can't use the thing, I have to go out and get a floppy
    disk first. That was 1984, I still have the bill for the first box of ten
    that I bought, just under fifty dollars. Yes, you could buy single floppy
    disks back then, I think I did, but the company could have bought in bulk
    and tossed in a floppy to get you going.

    The flip side is that a lot of electronic stuff does now come with
    batteries. Not just flashlights, but I cant' think of anything that's
    come in here new in recent years with a remote that didn't ahve batteries
    for the remote. It means one can get going without fussing, and surely
    doesn't add much to the cost.

    Cannon probably got the cards cheap, buying up as they became less
    valuable, everyone wanting bigger SD cards.

    Michael

    Michael Black, Aug 15, 2012
  11. On Sun, 12 Aug 2012, RichA wrote:

    > On Aug 12, 4:42 pm, "Alan Holmes" <> wrote:
    >> So I have been in some of the supermarkets, and found something which suits,
    >> but when I asked about more information I was told I have to buy a memory
    >> card, so why the hell don't they include that in the camera in the
    >> beginning, sounds like a scam, to make the camera look cheap but in factit
    >> isn't!
    >>
    >> Alan

    > Spend more on a camera than a 24 of beer, you cheap clown.

    Why?

    There was a whole wave when people lived off disposable cameras.

    Most people lived with generic viewfinder cameras, sometimes even 110
    film, but sometimes 35mm. Those were often bought at drugstores or
    supermarkets, they were generic cameras for people who didnt' want to fuss
    over the equipment, they wanted to take some snapshots fast. Probably
    Polaroid cameras fit in there, for most people.

    Digital cameras, except for the 9.99 ones, are bound to be better than
    those cheap film cameras. At the very lesat, they provide more control
    over the shooting process. They are oddly enough infinitely more
    complicated than those cheap 35mm viewfinder cameras.

    One flyer recently had Kodak (I think it was) 12 or 14mp cameras for fifty
    dollars. That's the sort of thing being sold at grocery stores, except
    those horrible 9.99 ones with no memory slots.

    Michael

    Michael Black, Aug 15, 2012
  12. On Sun, 12 Aug 2012, George Kerby wrote:

    > On 8/12/12 3:42 PM, in article KyUVr.1141668$4, "Alan
    > Holmes" <> wrote:
    >

    >> So I have been in some of the supermarkets, and found something which suits,
    >> but when I asked about more information I was told I have to buy a memory
    >> card, so why the hell don't they include that in the camera in the
    >> beginning, sounds like a scam, to make the camera look cheap but in fact it
    >> isn't!
    >>
    >> Alan

    > A long time ago, when I was working a retail camera store (remember those?),
    > a long-time customer walked in wanting to purchase a (then) new digital
    > camera (D-30?). When he told me the same thing that you are complaining
    > about, I reminded him that his old SLR had not come with any film. The look
    > on his face was precious. AFAIK, to this day, NO digital camera of any value
    > has included a memory card.

    That's not true. Early digital cameras had no expansion, so their only
    memory was built in.

    That Apple camera from the early nineties that I bought at a garage sale 3
    years ago for five dollars, that has no memory slot. So the tiny amount
    of built in memory (offset by the low definition of the camera so each
    picture takes relativley little space) is all there is. One then has to
    hook it up to your computer with the serial port to transfer the pictures.
    It even has an LCD display, but not for picture viewing, for info things
    like the number of pictures left.

    That Intel camera I found a few years ago that dates from the early 2000s
    is a combination webcam and digital camera, again relatively low density.
    But it has no memory slot.

    On the other hand, some cameras barely made use of memory slots. That
    DSLR someone gave me, it uses ancient memory cards, I guess "smartcards",
    and even at 1.6MP, the card fills up pretty fast. The only point of the
    external memory is that one could use a higher density card, offset by the
    cost and the fact that other cards came along before density got really
    big.

    Michael

    Michael Black, Aug 15, 2012
  13. On Sun, 12 Aug 2012, Alan Holmes wrote:

    > So I have been in some of the supermarkets, and found something which suits,
    > but when I asked about more information I was told I have to buy a memory
    > card, so why the hell don't they include that in the camera in the
    > beginning, sounds like a scam, to make the camera look cheap but in fact it
    > isn't!

    Just be glad that things have settled out, so you can easily get a memory
    card and quite cheap.

    I paid 2.00 for an older digital camera at a garage sale (yes I knew what
    i was buying), but then realize when I get home that it uses an XD card.
    Unless I find one of those used (or in the garbage) there's no way I'll
    use that camera, I'm not spending the money on a card that's at least ten
    times what I paid for the camera. The camera isn't anything special, not
    worth investing in.

    Yes, I later found a much better digital camera in a box of junk on the
    sidewalk, no battery for that one and it's a special battery. Too much
    cost when I have a couple of better digital cameras that are fine for me.
    The XD card in that junker was something like 1gig, but the 2.00 camera
    doesn't recognize it, I assume because it's too old to deal with that
    large a card.

    Wait for a sale in the flyer, and buy a memory card then.

    Michael

    Michael Black, Aug 15, 2012
  14. Alan Holmes

    tony cooper Guest

    On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 13:36:14 -0400, Michael Black <>
    wrote:

    >>> A long time ago, when I was working a retail camera store (remember
    >>> those?), a long-time customer walked in wanting to purchase a (then) new
    >>> digital camera (D-30?). When he told me the same thing that you are
    >>> complaining about, I reminded him that his old SLR had not come with any
    >>> film. The look on his face was precious. AFAIK, to this day, NO digital
    >>> camera of any value has included a memory card.

    >> Well, not quite true, Canon throw in a very modestly sized card with at
    >> least their lower lines. I suspect this is so you can start to shoot right
    >> away (sort of like those cameras that include a useless built in small
    >> memory).
    >>

    >Yes, my Cannon from about four years back included a 128meg or 256meg SD
    >card. I thought it was quite thoughtful.

    I have a 32meg SD Canon SD card that came with a Canon P&S. It's
    still in a little cellophane bag, unopened.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Aug 16, 2012
  15. Alan Holmes

    Martin Brown Guest

    On 15/08/2012 18:48, Michael Black wrote:
    > On Sun, 12 Aug 2012, George Kerby wrote:
    >

    >> On 8/12/12 3:42 PM, in article KyUVr.1141668$4, "Alan
    >> Holmes" <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> So I have been in some of the supermarkets, and found something which
    >>> suits,
    >>> but when I asked about more information I was told I have to buy a
    >>> memory
    >>> card, so why the hell don't they include that in the camera in the
    >>> beginning, sounds like a scam, to make the camera look cheap but in
    >>> fact it
    >>> isn't!
    >>>
    >>> Alan

    >> A long time ago, when I was working a retail camera store (remember
    >> those?),
    >> a long-time customer walked in wanting to purchase a (then) new digital
    >> camera (D-30?). When he told me the same thing that you are complaining
    >> about, I reminded him that his old SLR had not come with any film. The
    >> look
    >> on his face was precious. AFAIK, to this day, NO digital camera of any
    >> value
    >> has included a memory card.
    >>

    > That's not true. Early digital cameras had no expansion, so their only
    > memory was built in.

    That is rubbish. I had one of the earliest Kodak Mpixel digital cameras
    and yes it did have a small amount of memory (4MB?) built in so that
    showrooms could demo it without putting an expensive CF memory card in.
    But it also had an expansion slot. Main problem was it ate batteries.

    > That Apple camera from the early nineties that I bought at a garage sale
    > 3 years ago for five dollars, that has no memory slot. So the tiny
    > amount of built in memory (offset by the low definition of the camera so
    > each picture takes relativley little space) is all there is. One then
    > has to hook it up to your computer with the serial port to transfer the
    > pictures. It even has an LCD display, but not for picture viewing, for
    > info things like the number of pictures left.
    >
    > That Intel camera I found a few years ago that dates from the early
    > 2000s is a combination webcam and digital camera, again relatively low
    > density. But it has no memory slot.

    Toy cameras that doubled as webcams had no capability of expansion but
    the first serious digital cameras all had Compact Flash expansion and
    the really expensive kit could take IBM microdrives in a slightly
    thicker CF3 slot. I still have one in a draw somewhere.

    http://www.mp3newswire.net/stories/2001/microdrive.html

    > On the other hand, some cameras barely made use of memory slots. That
    > DSLR someone gave me, it uses ancient memory cards, I guess
    > "smartcards", and even at 1.6MP, the card fills up pretty fast. The
    > only point of the external memory is that one could use a higher density
    > card, offset by the cost and the fact that other cards came along before
    > density got really big.
    >
    > Michael

    Depends on the size of the card. Almost all early pro and semi pro kit
    was compact flash where the male pins in the camera were extremely easy
    for the hamfisted mutilate by forcing a memory card in upside down.

    I never understood how. It made for some very expensive camera repairs.

    Regards,
    Martin Brown

    Martin Brown, Aug 16, 2012
  16. Alan Holmes

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Thursday, August 16, 2012 12:25:04 AM UTC+1, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2012-08-15 15:39:34 -0700, George Kerby <> said:

    > > On 8/15/12 2:42 PM, in article

    > > 2012081512422216807-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, "Savageduck"

    > > <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    > >> Just to add my $0.02.

    > >> I have a 2001 PC-E775 which came packaged with a 16MB Lexar CF card.

    > >> The camera was handed off to my "Step-Daughter from Hell" some time

    > >> ago, but this CF card was in my desk drawer.

    > >> < http://db.tt/msGUHfD6 >

    > >> ...and I could shoot snapshots of gunshots with it then, just as easily

    > >> as I can today.

    > >> < http://db.tt/C21rCDXS >

    > > NICE grouping there, Duck!

    > Thanks! That was 36 shots.
    >
    > All it takes is, practice, practice, practice.
    >

    > ...a bit of training, and the appropriate hole punch.
    >
    > < http://db.tt/eHWvB9Lf >
    >

    > Then you can get it tighter. This one was 58 shots.
    >
    > < http://db.tt/ENke9g1B >

    Can I ask why the target is how it is, I mean I could understabnd the standard bullseye target, but I can't understand why have a 'human' outline andaim at the exact centre of the body, surely aiming at the heart/head (for a kill) or a limb/penis for injuring would be more of a challenge (generally speaking).
    When I was about 8-9 I made a target box for shooting/flicking marbles, thehighest score points (10) were close the outside of the box meaning if you went for the high score you were at risk of scoring nothing. Going for the centre would earn you 5 points missing the centre got you 3 point IIRC.

    Oh one last Q the shape looks male, regarding sex equality shouldn't half the targets be women ;-)

    Whisky-dave, Aug 16, 2012
  17. Alan Holmes

    nospam Guest

    In article <%b2Xr.21658$>, Martin Brown
    <|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote:

    > Toy cameras that doubled as webcams had no capability of expansion but
    > the first serious digital cameras all had Compact Flash expansion and
    > the really expensive kit could take IBM microdrives in a slightly
    > thicker CF3 slot. I still have one in a draw somewhere.

    the first serious digital cameras had pcmcia expansion, notably the
    kodak dcs series.

    <http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/Kodak/index1.htm>

    nospam, Aug 16, 2012
  18. Martin Brown <|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote:

    > Depends on the size of the card. Almost all early pro and semi pro kit
    > was compact flash where the male pins in the camera were extremely easy
    > for the hamfisted mutilate by forcing a memory card in upside down.

    > I never understood how. It made for some very expensive camera repairs.

    Pins are better contacts than how SD card contacts work.
    Holes can fill with dirt and other stuff and cause a very
    expensive camera repairs, instead of just loosing a card.

    Guides make it near impossible to force a memory card in the
    wrong way. Only the terminally brutal manage wrong insertions.
    Such people would also use a camera to hammer nails into a wall.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Aug 17, 2012