    Any recommendations?

    TIA,
    JohnO

    JohnO, Nov 15, 2004

  2. JohnO

    jim Guest

    JohnO wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I have a single network device (it's an HTPC client) that I want to locate
    > upstairs, but there's no easy way to cable up to there. I figured I'd just
    > get a 802.11g wireless bridge and plug the device's LAN cable into that.
    > However I can't seem to find such a device. Everybody seems to be selling
    > full blown 802.11g router/4 port switch/Wireless Access point devices, which
    > I guess can be run in a bridge mode, but do I really need to pay the extra
    > cost of all that?
    >
    > Any recommendations?
    >
    > TIA,
    > JohnO

    Theres a Linksys G Bridge
    or netgear have the wge101
    However often access points have a bridge mode and are cheaper than the
    dedicated bridge products

    jim, Nov 15, 2004

  3. JohnO

    DoggNZ Guest

    On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 10:40:43 +1300, "JohnO" <> wrote:

    >Hi All,
    >
    >I have a single network device (it's an HTPC client) that I want to locate
    >upstairs, but there's no easy way to cable up to there. I figured I'd just
    >get a 802.11g wireless bridge and plug the device's LAN cable into that.
    >However I can't seem to find such a device. Everybody seems to be selling
    >full blown 802.11g router/4 port switch/Wireless Access point devices, which
    >I guess can be run in a bridge mode, but do I really need to pay the extra
    >cost of all that?
    >
    >Any recommendations?
    >
    >TIA,
    >JohnO

    I wonder if something like this would do the trick? It's designed for
    Xbox|Playstation but worth a look

    http://www.linksys.com/international/product.asp?coid=21&ipid=358

    --
    BOINC SETI

    DoggNZ, Nov 15, 2004
  4. JohnO

    Jon Frere Guest

    Don't seem to be many cheap ones around - I guess it depends on what you
    call cheap! Here's a couple:
    The other option might be to put an access point downstairs and just use a
    802.11g network adapter (USB / PCI / PCMCIA) in the upstairs device.

    http://www.datadog.co.nz/cs/prodView.asp?idproduct=71498

    Cheers,

    Jon

    Jon Frere, Nov 15, 2004
  5. JohnO

    JohnO Guest

    "Jon Frere" <> wrote in message
    > Don't seem to be many cheap ones around - I guess it depends on what you
    > call cheap! Here's a couple:
    > The other option might be to put an access point downstairs and just use a
    > 802.11g network adapter (USB / PCI / PCMCIA) in the upstairs device.
    >
    > http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=186148
    > http://www.datadog.co.nz/cs/prodView.asp?idproduct=71498
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Jon
    >

    > "JohnO" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi All,
    > >
    > > I have a single network device (it's an HTPC client) that I want to

    locate
    > > upstairs, but there's no easy way to cable up to there. I figured I'd

    just
    > > get a 802.11g wireless bridge and plug the device's LAN cable into that.
    > > However I can't seem to find such a device. Everybody seems to be

    selling
    > > full blown 802.11g router/4 port switch/Wireless Access point devices,

    > which
    > > I guess can be run in a bridge mode, but do I really need to pay the

    extra
    > > cost of all that?
    > >
    > > Any recommendations?
    > >
    > > TIA,
    > > JohnO

    Yeah, I would go for an adapter as they *are* cheap, but the device only has
    a LAN connector - no PCMCIA or USB.

    Cheers

    JohnO

    JohnO, Nov 16, 2004
  6. JohnO

    JohnO Guest

    "DoggNZ" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 10:40:43 +1300, "JohnO" <> wrote:
    >
    > >Hi All,
    > >
    > >I have a single network device (it's an HTPC client) that I want to

    locate
    > >upstairs, but there's no easy way to cable up to there. I figured I'd

    just
    > >get a 802.11g wireless bridge and plug the device's LAN cable into that.
    > >However I can't seem to find such a device. Everybody seems to be selling
    > >full blown 802.11g router/4 port switch/Wireless Access point devices,

    which
    > >I guess can be run in a bridge mode, but do I really need to pay the

    extra
    > >cost of all that?
    > >
    > >Any recommendations?
    > >
    > >TIA,
    > >JohnO
    > >

    > I wonder if something like this would do the trick? It's designed for
    > Xbox|Playstation but worth a look
    >
    > http://www.linksys.com/international/product.asp?coid=21&ipid=358

    Yeah, that looks like the ticket, assuming there's nothing game specific
    about it's traffic management.

    JohnO, Nov 16, 2004
  7. JohnO

    EMB Guest

    JohnO wrote:

    > Yeah, I would go for an adapter as they *are* cheap, but the device only has
    > a LAN connector - no PCMCIA or USB.

    The DSE 802.11g access point definitely works as a bridge, and I think
    the 802.11b one does too (part #XH7988 - $118)

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Nov 16, 2004
  8. JohnO

    JohnO Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message
    > JohnO wrote:
    >
    > > Yeah, I would go for an adapter as they *are* cheap, but the device only

    has
    > > a LAN connector - no PCMCIA or USB.

    > The DSE 802.11g access point definitely works as a bridge, and I think
    > the 802.11b one does too (part #XH7988 - $118)
    >

    > --
    > EMB

    Cheers - I'll check 'em out. It must be 802.11g. It's for streaming video at
    around 6Mb/sec. 802..11b won't quite do it.

    JohnO, Nov 16, 2004
  9. JohnO

    JohnO Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message
    > JohnO wrote:
    > >
    > > Cheers - I'll check 'em out. It must be 802.11g. It's for streaming

    video at
    > > around 6Mb/sec. 802..11b won't quite do it.

    > I've got 2 DSE XH8175 802.11g access points running in bridge mode quite
    > happily so that should solve your problem (and DSE lets you return stuff
    > no questions asked if it won't).
    >
    > --
    > EMB

    Great - thanks for the info.

    If you attach a regular lan device directly to the AP, do you use a regular
    patch cable or a x-over cable? What about if you attach a switch?

    What sort of data rate are you getting under what condiftions (intervening
    walls, distance etc)?

    Thanks,
    JohnO

    JohnO, Nov 16, 2004
  10. JohnO

    EMB Guest

    EMB, Nov 16, 2004
  11. JohnO

    EMB Guest

    JohnO wrote:

    > Great - thanks for the info.
    >
    > If you attach a regular lan device directly to the AP, do you use a regular
    > patch cable or a x-over cable? What about if you attach a switch?

    They come with a short (1m) x-over cable included. All the switches
    I've got have auto MDI/MDI-X so I've never worried about cables much
    (but I *think* they should use a regular cable to connect to a switch).

    > What sort of data rate are you getting under what condiftions (intervening
    > walls, distance etc)?

    50m in a concrete block walled building through 3 or 4 walls and it were
    dropping speed significantly but using an external antenna brings it
    back up to a decent speed - I haven't checked actual speeds but the
    bottleneck is the 10base-T hub hanging off the end.

    I got a reported connect of the full 54Mbps with 70% signal quality when
    playing with it at home in an average wood/gib house - I guess over 10m
    through a couple of normal house walls.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Nov 16, 2004