    Everything that I have found in the small size has a bunch of features that
    I don't need and doesn't have manual control. Am I missing something?

    Eric Miller
    Eric Miller, Jul 12, 2006

  2. Eric Miller

    tomm42 Guest

    Eric Miller wrote:
    > What I am looking for:
    >
    > 4-5 megapixels or so
    > No digital zoom
    > Fixed focal length, f/2.8 lens, 35mm focal length equivalent in the 35-55 mm
    > range.
    > Full manual control
    > Small size
    >
    > Does such a beast exist?
    >
    > Everything that I have found in the small size has a bunch of features that
    > I don't need and doesn't have manual control. Am I missing something?
    >
    > Eric Miller

    Eric,
    Ricoh makes one but it cost about $700, not sure of the model number.
    For that price you can get a Nikon D50 and a 24mm f2.8 which would
    deliver better pics than any P&S, small for a DSLR..... If you want to
    blow a wad an Epson R1 with a Voitlander 25 f2.8 would be very nice,
    traditional rangefinder. Either of these cameras would give you images
    that rival film, better than film at high ISO, you don't get that with
    P&S cameras.
    If you are looking at a more pocket sized camera you may have to put up
    with a zoom though most P&S have manual control some don't, look for a
    viewfinder too. Canon G6 comes to mind. Would be nice if someone made
    manual only digital camera, but the Epson is the one that comes the
    closest, and it is megabux.

    Good luck
    Tom
    tomm42, Jul 12, 2006

  3. Eric Miller

    Eric Miller Guest

    "tomm42" <> wrote in message

    > Eric Miller wrote:
    >> What I am looking for:
    >>
    >> 4-5 megapixels or so
    >> No digital zoom
    >> Fixed focal length, f/2.8 lens, 35mm focal length equivalent in the 35-55
    >> mm
    >> range.
    >> Full manual control
    >> Small size
    >>
    >> Does such a beast exist?
    >>
    >> Everything that I have found in the small size has a bunch of features
    >> that
    >> I don't need and doesn't have manual control. Am I missing something?
    >>
    >> Eric Miller

    > Eric,
    > Ricoh makes one but it cost about $700, not sure of the model number.
    > For that price you can get a Nikon D50 and a 24mm f2.8 which would
    > deliver better pics than any P&S, small for a DSLR..... If you want to
    > blow a wad an Epson R1 with a Voitlander 25 f2.8 would be very nice,
    > traditional rangefinder. Either of these cameras would give you images
    > that rival film, better than film at high ISO, you don't get that with
    > P&S cameras.
    > If you are looking at a more pocket sized camera you may have to put up
    > with a zoom though most P&S have manual control some don't, look for a
    > viewfinder too. Canon G6 comes to mind. Would be nice if someone made
    > manual only digital camera, but the Epson is the one that comes the
    > closest, and it is megabux.
    >
    > Good luck
    > Tom

    Wow, the GR Digital is almost exactly what I was looking for. It even has a
    flash shoe. The only thing is that the 28mm equiv focal length is a little
    wider than hoped for. Thanks for the info.

    Eric Miller
    Eric Miller, Jul 12, 2006
  4. Eric Miller

    Pete D Guest

    "Eric Miller" <> wrote in message

    > "tomm42" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Eric Miller wrote:
    >>> What I am looking for:
    >>>
    >>> 4-5 megapixels or so
    >>> No digital zoom
    >>> Fixed focal length, f/2.8 lens, 35mm focal length equivalent in the
    >>> 35-55 mm
    >>> range.
    >>> Full manual control
    >>> Small size
    >>>
    >>> Does such a beast exist?
    >>>
    >>> Everything that I have found in the small size has a bunch of features
    >>> that
    >>> I don't need and doesn't have manual control. Am I missing something?
    >>>
    >>> Eric Miller

    >> Eric,
    >> Ricoh makes one but it cost about $700, not sure of the model number.
    >> For that price you can get a Nikon D50 and a 24mm f2.8 which would
    >> deliver better pics than any P&S, small for a DSLR..... If you want to
    >> blow a wad an Epson R1 with a Voitlander 25 f2.8 would be very nice,
    >> traditional rangefinder. Either of these cameras would give you images
    >> that rival film, better than film at high ISO, you don't get that with
    >> P&S cameras.
    >> If you are looking at a more pocket sized camera you may have to put up
    >> with a zoom though most P&S have manual control some don't, look for a
    >> viewfinder too. Canon G6 comes to mind. Would be nice if someone made
    >> manual only digital camera, but the Epson is the one that comes the
    >> closest, and it is megabux.
    >>
    >> Good luck
    >> Tom
    >>

    > Wow, the GR Digital is almost exactly what I was looking for. It even has
    > a flash shoe. The only thing is that the 28mm equiv focal length is a
    > little wider than hoped for. Thanks for the info.
    >
    > Eric Miller

    A second hand G5 would probably do you nicely too.
    Pete D, Jul 13, 2006