    th common thinking about these cameras? What other camera's should I
    be thinking about?

    Shannon

    Shannon Tucker, Apr 7, 2010

  2. Shannon Tucker

    Nervous Nick Guest

    On Apr 6, 6:16 pm, Shannon Tucker <> wrote:

    Get one that has spell check.

    HTH.

    --
    YOP...

    Nervous Nick, Apr 7, 2010

  3. Shannon Tucker

    Rich Guest

    On Apr 6, 7:16 pm, Shannon Tucker <> wrote:
    > I primarily like to shoot candid and informal portraits and then I do
    > a lot of hiking and fishing.  I'm looking for a camera that isn't as
    > heavy or as big as a DSLR .
    >
    > I've been thinking about the Canon G11 and the Olympus E-PL1.  What is
    > th common thinking about these cameras?  What other camera's should I
    > be thinking about?
    >
    > Shannon

    Panasonic G1 with a 20mm pancake lens. Panasonic GF1 with the pancake
    lens. Panasonic LX3 for the ultimate in portability, but none of the
    P&S's will be as good for action due to their inability to support
    high ISO ranges.

    Rich, Apr 7, 2010
  4. On Apr 6, 8:18 pm, Rich <> wrote:
    > On Apr 6, 7:16 pm, Shannon Tucker <> wrote:

    > Panasonic G1 with a 20mm pancake lens.  Panasonic GF1 with the pancake
    > lens.  Panasonic LX3 for the ultimate in portability, but none of the
    > P&S's will be as good for action due to their inability to support
    > high ISO ranges.

    G11 goes to 3200. How much higher does it need to go?

    Shannon Tucker, Apr 7, 2010
  5. In article <5e6b0577-8afd-4914-91b6-7c4ed68374a9
    @v20g2000yqv.googlegroups.com>, says...

    > I primarily like to shoot candid and informal portraits and then I do
    > a lot of hiking and fishing. I'm looking for a camera that isn't as
    > heavy or as big as a DSLR .

    Big - yes. Heavy - not. My 450d with the 'kit quality' 55-250mm lens
    feels lighter than the powershot sx20is, although it's a bit bulkier.
    It's also so much faster in operation that I do much prefer it for
    candid portraits & street photography.

    The higher quality lenses for the dslr are indeed much heavier.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Apr 7, 2010
  6. On Apr 6, 10:43 pm, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    > On 2010-04-06 22:31:54 -0700, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> said:

    > >> G11 goes to 3200.  How much higher does it need to go?

    > > I have a G11.
    > > 3200 on the G11 is marginal and noisy and can look like a smeared oil
    > > painting. If you need to get an image in poor light it will do it for
    > > you. However for acceptable quality ISO 800 will do better. You are
    > > still going to need reasonable light and your best quality shots will
    > > be at ISO 80, 100 & 200, with a push to 400. Unless you absolutely have
    > > to, I would not push it beyond ISO 800, with ISO 1600 on the outer
    > > limit for a picture you might want to keep.
    > > Having said all that, the G11 will produce quality images, gives you
    > > RAW files, and a good control layout.
    > > For what you say you want to use it for, the G11 will do the job quite
    > > well. It is well built and gives you a lot for the money.

    > BTW:  high ISO relates to performance in specific light conditions at a
    > given aperture and shutter speed. So in good light at ISO 200-400, with
    > a shutter speed of 1/320 to 1/500, with an appropriate aperture,  a G11
    > will deal with "action" well enough.
    > ...but according to your OP, you don't want it for action shooting.
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Savageduck

    Thank you so much for your response. I really appreciate them
    immensely.

    Some of what I have wanted to do was to take pictures for a local
    dance? I have been asked to shoot people who ask for pics and to
    shoot people on the dance floor. The dance lighting is chaotic and
    not good, but the company that has asked me to take the pictures
    understand this and pics that are sharp and clear are a plus but the
    idea is to show the action. The house parties and family parties and
    get togethers the lighting is better and the action isn't a problem.
    My D70 does ok at the dances, but the parties, it intimidates my
    subjects too much.

    Shannon Tucker, Apr 7, 2010
  7. On Apr 7, 1:28 am, bugbear <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote:
    > Shannon Tucker wrote:
    > > I primarily like to shoot candid and informal portraits and then I do
    > > a lot of hiking and fishing.  I'm looking for a camera that isn't as
    > > heavy or as big as a DSLR .

    > > I've been thinking about the Canon G11 and the Olympus E-PL1.  What is
    > > th common thinking about these cameras?  What other camera's should I
    > > be thinking about?

    > The key question here (I think) is do you want to shoot
    > wildlife, landscapes, or both?
    >
    > Landscape photography often utilises wide
    > angle lenses, whereas for wildlife you essentially
    > want the longest lens you can get/carry/afford.
    >
    >     BugBear

    Thank you for your help, it is much appreciated.

    When I'm outdoors? I am primarily shooting scenics or what I call
    context photos? If I'm shooting wildlife it's as I see it in the
    moment. The long lenses aren't needed for those pics.

    Shannon

    Shannon Tucker, Apr 7, 2010
  8. On Apr 7, 1:37 am, Peter Huebner <> wrote:
    > In article <5e6b0577-8afd-4914-91b6-7c4ed68374a9
    > @v20g2000yqv.googlegroups.com>, says...
    >

    > > I primarily like to shoot candid and informal portraits and then I do
    > > a lot of hiking and fishing.  I'm looking for a camera that isn't as
    > > heavy or as big as a DSLR .

    > Big - yes. Heavy - not. My 450d with the 'kit quality' 55-250mm lens
    > feels lighter than the powershot sx20is, although it's a bit bulkier.
    > It's also so much faster in operation that I do much prefer it for
    > candid portraits & street photography.
    >
    > The higher quality lenses for the dslr are indeed much heavier.
    >
    > -P.

    My problem with my D70 is that when trying to take candids in the
    context of barbecues, parties and family life, is that the camera
    intimidates people and gets in the way of what I want to capture? If
    people become aware of a point&shoot, it doesn't change their behavior
    as much and pics are more natural, IMHO. The frustration I have with
    most P&S's is that the shutter lags are measured in days rather than
    microseconds.

    Shannon

    Shannon Tucker, Apr 7, 2010
  9. Shannon Tucker

    tony cooper Guest

    On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 07:53:14 -0700 (PDT), Shannon Tucker
    <> wrote:

    >On Apr 7, 1:37 am, Peter Huebner <> wrote:
    >> In article <5e6b0577-8afd-4914-91b6-7c4ed68374a9
    >> @v20g2000yqv.googlegroups.com>, says...
    >>

    >> > I primarily like to shoot candid and informal portraits and then I do
    >> > a lot of hiking and fishing.  I'm looking for a camera that isn't as
    >> > heavy or as big as a DSLR .

    >> Big - yes. Heavy - not. My 450d with the 'kit quality' 55-250mm lens
    >> feels lighter than the powershot sx20is, although it's a bit bulkier.
    >> It's also so much faster in operation that I do much prefer it for
    >> candid portraits & street photography.
    >>
    >> The higher quality lenses for the dslr are indeed much heavier.
    >>
    >> -P.

    >My problem with my D70 is that when trying to take candids in the
    >context of barbecues, parties and family life, is that the camera
    >intimidates people and gets in the way of what I want to capture? If
    >people become aware of a point&shoot, it doesn't change their behavior
    >as much and pics are more natural, IMHO. The frustration I have with
    >most P&S's is that the shutter lags are measured in days rather than
    >microseconds.

    The camera can only intimidate if the subjects are aware of the
    camera. Where you stand and how you move around in the group plays a
    large part in that. If you station yourself on the periphery of the
    action and remain there until your subjects come into view, you will
    be less noticed. Having the patience to wait until people are no
    longer paying attention to you will make all the difference.

    A common work-around to the "I'm being photographed" problem is to
    ostensibly point the camera to someone other than your subject and
    then swing it around at the last second to your primary subject.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Apr 7, 2010
  10. Shannon Tucker

    Martin Brown Guest

    Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2010-04-07 07:53:14 -0700, Shannon Tucker
    > <> said:
    >
    >> On Apr 7, 1:37 am, Peter Huebner <> wrote:
    >>> In article <5e6b0577-8afd-4914-91b6-7c4ed68374a9
    >>> @v20g2000yqv.googlegroups.com>, says...

    >>> Big - yes. Heavy - not. My 450d with the 'kit quality' 55-250mm lens
    >>> feels lighter than the powershot sx20is, although it's a bit bulkier.
    >>> It's also so much faster in operation that I do much prefer it for
    >>> candid portraits & street photography.
    >>>
    >>> The higher quality lenses for the dslr are indeed much heavier.
    >>>
    >>> -P.

    >> My problem with my D70 is that when trying to take candids in the
    >> context of barbecues, parties and family life, is that the camera
    >> intimidates people and gets in the way of what I want to capture? If

    You will probably find a P&S small enough to pocket like the Canon Ixus
    more useful for candid shots in fairly good light. Its built in flash
    isn't too bad either, but being so close to the lens you get artefacts
    if there is any dust in the air. P&S do have some shutter lag but the
    better ones are just about acceptable now.

    >> people become aware of a point&shoot, it doesn't change their behavior
    >> as much and pics are more natural, IMHO. The frustration I have with
    >> most P&S's is that the shutter lags are measured in days rather than
    >> microseconds.
    >>
    >> Shannon

    > ...but if your friends & family become so familiarized to you with a
    > camera in hand, be it DSLR or P&S, and the work you produce, you will
    > just become part of the background noise. Sort of, "Oh! It's just
    > Shannon" and let you do what you do at those events.

    Although that is partly true a big DSLR between you and a shy or nervous
    subject does nothing to put them at ease. By comparison a camera so
    small you can palm it and use when their attention is distracted is way
    more effective. Or a lens that keeps you well away.

    > This is one of the reasons many photographers in the situation you
    > describe, will use a fast long lens, such as as a 70-200mm f/2.8 to
    > capture more candid shots. However then you will be spending much more
    > on the lens than the D70 & G11 cost combined.
    >
    > I would carry both cameras and use whichever is right for the moment,
    > and if you are looking for candid shots, your subjects shouldn't even be
    > aware the shot had been taken, whether you were using a DSLR or a P&S.

    A fair point although if the flash fires they tend to notice.

    Regards,
    Martin Brown

    Martin Brown, Apr 7, 2010
  11. Shannon Tucker <> wrote:
    > On Apr 7, 1:37?am, Peter Huebner <> wrote:
    >> In article <5e6b0577-8afd-4914-91b6-7c4ed68374a9
    >> @v20g2000yqv.googlegroups.com>, says...

    >> > I primarily like to shoot candid and informal portraits and then I do
    >> > a lot of hiking and fishing. ?I'm looking for a camera that isn't as
    >> > heavy or as big as a DSLR .

    >> Big - yes. Heavy - not. My 450d with the 'kit quality' 55-250mm lens
    >> feels lighter than the powershot sx20is, although it's a bit bulkier.
    >> It's also so much faster in operation that I do much prefer it for
    >> candid portraits & street photography.
    >>
    >> The higher quality lenses for the dslr are indeed much heavier.
    >>
    >> -P.

    > My problem with my D70 is that when trying to take candids in the
    > context of barbecues, parties and family life, is that the camera
    > intimidates people and gets in the way of what I want to capture? If
    > people become aware of a point&shoot, it doesn't change their behavior
    > as much and pics are more natural, IMHO. The frustration I have with
    > most P&S's is that the shutter lags are measured in days rather than
    > microseconds.

    Get one where you can turn off autofocus and use manual focus --
    a few seconds preparation and instantaneous shutter response.

    --
    Chris Malcolm

    Chris Malcolm, Apr 7, 2010
  12. tony cooper <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 07:53:14 -0700 (PDT), Shannon Tucker
    > <> wrote:

    >>On Apr 7, 1:37am, Peter Huebner <> wrote:
    >>> In article <5e6b0577-8afd-4914-91b6-7c4ed68374a9
    >>> @v20g2000yqv.googlegroups.com>, says...

    >>> Big - yes. Heavy - not. My 450d with the 'kit quality' 55-250mm lens
    >>> feels lighter than the powershot sx20is, although it's a bit bulkier.
    >>> It's also so much faster in operation that I do much prefer it for
    >>> candid portraits & street photography.
    >>>
    >>> The higher quality lenses for the dslr are indeed much heavier.
    >>>
    >>> -P.

    >>My problem with my D70 is that when trying to take candids in the
    >>context of barbecues, parties and family life, is that the camera
    >>intimidates people and gets in the way of what I want to capture? If
    >>people become aware of a point&shoot, it doesn't change their behavior
    >>as much and pics are more natural, IMHO. The frustration I have with
    >>most P&S's is that the shutter lags are measured in days rather than
    >>microseconds.

    > The camera can only intimidate if the subjects are aware of the
    > camera. Where you stand and how you move around in the group plays a
    > large part in that. If you station yourself on the periphery of the
    > action and remain there until your subjects come into view, you will
    > be less noticed. Having the patience to wait until people are no
    > longer paying attention to you will make all the difference.

    > A common work-around to the "I'm being photographed" problem is to
    > ostensibly point the camera to someone other than your subject and
    > then swing it around at the last second to your primary subject.

    Or have the camera at waist level, using a tiltable live view. Or have
    the camera on a tripod or table pointing at a view you have set up. You
    stand or sit yards away with a radio shutter release in your pocket.

    --
    Chris Malcolm

    Chris Malcolm, Apr 7, 2010
  13. Shannon Tucker

    JimW Guest

    What is
    > th common thinking about these cameras? What other camera's should I
    > be thinking about?
    >
    > Shannon

    Pentax x90

    JimW, Apr 7, 2010
  14. Shannon Tucker

    newshound Guest

    "Shannon Tucker" <> wrote in message
    > On Apr 6, 10:43 pm, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    >> On 2010-04-06 22:31:54 -0700, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
    >> said:

    >> > I have a G11.
    >> > 3200 on the G11 is marginal and noisy and can look like a smeared oil
    >> > painting. If you need to get an image in poor light it will do it for
    >> > you. However for acceptable quality ISO 800 will do better. You are
    >> > still going to need reasonable light and your best quality shots will
    >> > be at ISO 80, 100 & 200, with a push to 400. Unless you absolutely have
    >> > to, I would not push it beyond ISO 800, with ISO 1600 on the outer
    >> > limit for a picture you might want to keep.
    >> > Having said all that, the G11 will produce quality images, gives you
    >> > RAW files, and a good control layout.
    >> > For what you say you want to use it for, the G11 will do the job quite
    >> > well. It is well built and gives you a lot for the money.

    >> BTW: high ISO relates to performance in specific light conditions at a
    >> given aperture and shutter speed. So in good light at ISO 200-400, with
    >> a shutter speed of 1/320 to 1/500, with an appropriate aperture, a G11
    >> will deal with "action" well enough.
    >> ...but according to your OP, you don't want it for action shooting.
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Savageduck

    > Thank you so much for your response. I really appreciate them
    > immensely.
    >

    > Some of what I have wanted to do was to take pictures for a local
    > dance? I have been asked to shoot people who ask for pics and to
    > shoot people on the dance floor. The dance lighting is chaotic and
    > not good, but the company that has asked me to take the pictures
    > understand this and pics that are sharp and clear are a plus but the
    > idea is to show the action. The house parties and family parties and
    > get togethers the lighting is better and the action isn't a problem.
    > My D70 does ok at the dances, but the parties, it intimidates my
    > subjects too much.

    I sometimes do similar things, and have a G10 and an Ixus 850 IS. As others
    have said the G series is noisy at 3200. I find myself using the Ixus as
    much as the G as it is more inconspicuous as well as more pocketable, and to
    be honest it can be tough to tell the results apart for "real" shots.
    Obviously, the G does give you raw, if you are into that. Both have nice big
    screens for checking results.

    newshound, Apr 7, 2010
  15. In article <0824de8e-dfe0-49d6-a5f5-7eede880a115
    @x12g2000yqx.googlegroups.com>, says...
    > The frustration I have with
    > most P&S's is that the shutter lags are measured in days rather than
    > microseconds.

    That's just it, with my p&sses (one older Oly, one new Canon) I
    sometimes have shutter-lag between 1 and 2 seconds in mediocre light
    conditions. Trying to capture my cat having a mud-wrestling match with
    an eel with that lag .... waste of time I found out. The couple you're
    trying to capture at the dance may well have danced out of the frame
    before your p&s has decided that it's ready.

    Anyway, you seem to have a slr already, so - no need to try and sell
    coals to Newcastle. :) By all accounts the G11 is a very nice camera
    indeed.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Apr 8, 2010
  16. Shannon Tucker

    Bowser Guest

    Panasonic FZ35. Very nice combination of small size and weight and
    performance.

    Bowser, Apr 8, 2010
  17. In article <>, artwarner9723
    @astalavista.net says...

    > Thanks for showing the whole world that you are so ignorant and inept as to
    > not know how to use any camera properly. Even a beginner with a P&S camera
    > could see how lame you are at any kind of photography by your posting.
    >
    > Next time, at least RTFM.

    Fuckwit!

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Apr 8, 2010
  18. In article <jwkvn.249$>,
    says...

    > Panasonic FZ35. Very nice combination of small size and weight and
    > performance.

    I was seriously considering that one myself - the reason I didn't go for
    it was that it has a fixed screen, which makes it a lot harder to shoot
    from unusual angles, say ground-level or waist level. Having a wonky
    neck and bad knees I don't like to crane my neck or get my face down to
    ground level as much as I loved to 40 years ago.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Apr 8, 2010
  19. Shannon Tucker

    Paul Furman Guest

    Re: |GG| Re: looking for a camera that fit's my styles

    Shannon Tucker wrote:

    > My problem with my D70 is that when trying to take candids in the
    > context of barbecues, parties and family life, is that the camera
    > intimidates people and gets in the way of what I want to capture? If
    > people become aware of a point&shoot, it doesn't change their behavior
    > as much and pics are more natural, IMHO. The frustration I have with
    > most P&S's is that the shutter lags are measured in days rather than
    > microseconds.

    Try using the D70 from waist level, pre-focused, rather than held up to
    your eye. It works well with just a bit of practice. Use a wide angle
    lens. Something like a 20mm or 24mm f/2.8 lens should work well and is
    quite compact and reasonably priced.

    --
    Paul Furman
    www.edgehill.net