Looking for 2 fulltime enterprise experienced Windows Senior sysadmins/engineers

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by thingy, Mar 30, 2006.

  1. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Hi All,

    One engineer will be experienced in Windows Security and that will be
    the main focus.

    The second engineer will be AD, policies, EMC SANS, MS clustering focused.

    75% of the time (even 100%) this job will be project work, remianing
    supporting level 2 as needed. Lots of servers to be rebuilt this year,
    server consolidation, new clustering....AD review and sort out.

    This is a large site with 150 servers and 5000 odd users, lots of
    upgrades, should be interesting work.

    If interested please email me at with a brief
    CV/letter outlining your capabilities, immediate start possible.....

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Mar 30, 2006

  2. Re: Looking for 2 fulltime enterprise experienced Windows Senior sys admins/engineers

    On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 16:30:07 +1200, someone purporting to be thingy didst
    scrawl:

    *SNIP*
    > This is a large site with 150 servers and 5000 odd users, lots of
    > upgrades, should be interesting work.

    *SNIP*

    And it's based... where?
    --
    Matthew Poole
    "Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."

    Matthew Poole, Mar 30, 2006

  3. Re: Looking for 2 fulltime enterprise experienced Windows Senior sys admins/engineers

    In article <>, Matthew Poole <> wrote:
    >On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 16:30:07 +1200, someone purporting to be thingy didst
    >scrawl:
    >
    >*SNIP*
    >> This is a large site with 150 servers and 5000 odd users, lots of
    >> upgrades, should be interesting work.
    >>

    >*SNIP*
    >
    >And it's based... where?

    Auckland ? They are the only ones that feel they don't need to say :)

    Bruce

    (if there were any)

    Bruce Sinclair, Mar 30, 2006
  4. Re: Looking for 2 fulltime enterprise experienced Windows Senior sys admins/engineers

    On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 17:06:16 +1200, Matthew Poole wrote:

    > On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 16:30:07 +1200, someone purporting to be thingy didst
    > scrawl:
    >
    > *SNIP*
    >> This is a large site with 150 servers and 5000 odd users, lots of
    >> upgrades, should be interesting work.
    >>

    > *SNIP*
    >
    > And it's based... where?

    India :)

    wogers nemesis, Mar 30, 2006
  5. thingy

    Shane Guest

    Matthew Poole wrote:

    > On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 16:30:07 +1200, someone purporting to be thingy didst
    > scrawl:
    >
    > *SNIP*
    >> This is a large site with 150 servers and 5000 odd users, lots of
    >> upgrades, should be interesting work.
    >>

    > *SNIP*
    >
    > And it's based... where?

    Heh
    From things headers

    (I thought everyone knew where thing worked:)
    So Im going to take a punt and say wellywood

    Shane, Mar 30, 2006
  6. thingy

    Peter Guest

    thingy wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > One engineer will be experienced in Windows Security and that will be
    > the main focus.

    The words 'windows' and 'security' are mutually exclusive.

    Peter, Mar 30, 2006
  7. thingy

    Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > One engineer will be experienced in Windows Security and that will be
    > the main focus.
    >
    > The second engineer will be AD, policies, EMC SANS, MS clustering focused.
    >
    > 75% of the time (even 100%) this job will be project work, remianing
    > supporting level 2 as needed. Lots of servers to be rebuilt this year,
    > server consolidation, new clustering....AD review and sort out.
    >
    > This is a large site with 150 servers and 5000 odd users, lots of
    > upgrades, should be interesting work.
    >
    > If interested please email me at with a brief
    > CV/letter outlining your capabilities, immediate start possible.....
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    Duh, Wellington.

    regards

    Thing

    , Mar 30, 2006
  8. thingy

    Guest

    Peter wrote:
    > thingy wrote:
    >

    >>Hi All,
    >>
    >>One engineer will be experienced in Windows Security and that will be
    >>the main focus.
    >>

    > The words 'windows' and 'security' are mutually exclusive.

    Now Now...

    The simple answer is Windows can be made acceptably secure by following
    good practice.

    ie this is like MS saying oOo is 10 years behind the latest MS Office
    (it is not btw) so rubbish. What I will agree with is in a similar way
    to MS's security, oOo wont satisfy everyone (read paranoid), but it is
    good enough for most.

    The biggest problem for Windows security is the lack of capability of
    the people who look after the box. By this I dont mean Windows sys
    admins are crap, what I mean is most of the botnets are residential
    computers who's owners lack the capability to tie down the OS
    adequately. In fact you could add me into that I suspect, ie while I can
    lock Unix and Linux boxes down really tightly, I couldnt do the equiv on
    a MS OS.

    regards

    Thing

    , Mar 30, 2006
  9. thingy

    Stu Fleming Guest

    y wrote:

    > The simple answer is Windows can be made acceptably secure by following
    > good practice.

    I was going to ask how much leeway the engineer would have when
    rebuilding the servers :)

    I mean, there's even an incremental upgrade path...first make it dual
    boot Linux, then boot into it, then remove Windows :))

    Stu Fleming, Mar 30, 2006
  10. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Stu Fleming wrote:
    > y wrote:
    >
    >> The simple answer is Windows can be made acceptably secure by
    >> following good practice.

    > I was going to ask how much leeway the engineer would have when
    > rebuilding the servers :)
    >
    > I mean, there's even an incremental upgrade path...first make it dual
    > boot Linux, then boot into it, then remove Windows :))

    lol...the old "win98 or better" argument...

    ;]

    We run about 150 servers, none of the windows ones have has serious
    issues in 2 years, well 2 or 3 have got viruses somehow.....but apart
    from that pretty good really....

    The Linux ones have had none, but that is 35 servers V 110 Windows ones.

    What I have noticed is the Windows ones seem to need rebuilding on a
    regular though un-expected basis....registry lets go and ik dont even
    dare re-booting it....

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Mar 30, 2006
  11. thingy

    RJ Guest

    Re: Looking for 2 fulltime enterprise experienced Windows Senior sys admins/engineers

    In article <>,
    y says...
    > Peter wrote:
    > > thingy wrote:
    > >

    > >>Hi All,
    > >>
    > >>One engineer will be experienced in Windows Security and that will be
    > >>the main focus.
    > >>

    > > The words 'windows' and 'security' are mutually exclusive.
    > >

    > Now Now...
    >
    > The simple answer is Windows can be made acceptably secure by following
    > good practice.
    >
    > ie this is like MS saying oOo is 10 years behind the latest MS Office
    > (it is not btw) so rubbish. What I will agree with is in a similar way
    > to MS's security, oOo wont satisfy everyone (read paranoid), but it is
    > good enough for most.
    >
    > The biggest problem for Windows security is the lack of capability of
    > the people who look after the box. By this I dont mean Windows sys
    > admins are crap, what I mean is most of the botnets are residential
    > computers who's owners lack the capability to tie down the OS
    > adequately. In fact you could add me into that I suspect, ie while I can
    > lock Unix and Linux boxes down really tightly, I couldnt do the equiv on
    > a MS OS.

    NT can
    Problem is the botnets are 98 machines that cant be
    One more rason to ditch 98 (we are dumping the last of our 98 machines
    in a coupla weeks, yay.)

    RJ, Mar 31, 2006
  12. Re: Looking for 2 fulltime enterprise experienced Windows Senior sys admins/engineers

    On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 07:17:14 +1200, y wrote:

    > what I mean is most of the botnets are residential
    > computers who's owners lack the capability to tie down the OS
    > adequately.

    IOW, they are clueless Windoze morons who think that because you get an
    executable file sent to you from some complete stranger that they should
    immediately run it to see how badly they can infect their computer. They
    should not even be alowed to sit in front of a computer, much less switch
    one on!

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    --
    "The key benefit of open technologies such as open source software is
    freedom of choice."

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Mar 31, 2006