    -- aside from being a pain-in-butt in TB -- takes *nine* times longer
    then the same stuff in OE.

    Ross

    Ross M. Greenberg, Jan 27, 2006

  2. Ross M. Greenberg wrote:
    > So, I'm using both. Each has their good points. And their bad.
    >
    > I use a multi-tabbed addon to IE, called Netcaptor. Have been for
    > years. With the same ten tabs loading for each at startup, FF takes
    > *four* times longer to completely load those those same tabs.
    >
    > Putting together 20 part Combine-and-Decode Windows Media Player movies
    > -- aside from being a pain-in-butt in TB -- takes *nine* times longer
    > then the same stuff in OE.
    >
    > Ross

    Well, can you give more details about your IE/FF test?

    Since so much of IE is integrated into the OS, it is going to open
    faster then FF. Netcaptor will have the same advantage.

    Now, if you load both with a blank page, so both programs are fully
    loaded, is Netcaptor really four times as fast loading as FF, and if so,
    what are these ten pages that are loading?

    If not, the first load of FF is going to be slow, no question about it.
    It doesn't bother me. As a test on my XP machine, I just opened FF and
    closed, then opened both FF and IE. FF opened about five seconds
    faster. This with one start page opening in each.

    If the initial load time is important to you, have you looked at the FF
    preloader?

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffpreloader/

    As far as OE/TB comparison, to my way of thinking, it is invalid. You
    are complaining about TB being unable to do something that it was never
    designed to do. You might as well complain about TB's poor performance
    as a graphics editor. ;)

    TB is a very good mail client, a serviceable newsreader, and a mediocre
    at best RSS reader. I use it for all three, because of the convenience
    of using one program. Then again, I look at text only newsgroups. I
    have never tried to combine and decode anything, and I doubt I ever will.

    Your needs are obviously different. Why not just use the program that
    works better for you for that purpose? There are more full featured
    newsreaders out there then both TB and OE.

    I do understand that there is finally a developer who is working on
    bringing combine/decode support to Thunderbird, but I suspect its quite
    a ways from being reality.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Jan 28, 2006