Looking at Coolpix 950 auction...??

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Melissa, Dec 2, 2003.

  1. Melissa

    Melissa Guest

    Due to money shortages I'm still stuck with a Finepix 1400, which is just
    good enough for taking snapshots for ebay auctions.

    But I was fantasizing about getting something a little better for Solstice
    and browsed the ebay auctions out of curiousity. Found this one:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2967785246
    for a 950. It was tempting when I found it an hour ago, with the bid at
    $125 but not so tempting at the final price it sold for. Plus I went and
    dug up a web review and found it doesn't have USB, it uses the serial port,
    which is odd.

    But I'd like to get the most bang for the buck in something with as good a
    quality as this, that I might pick up refurbed on ebay for under $200. ( I
    figure I can still sell the Finepix 1400 for maybe $75 and make up some of
    it - it's a useful camera for reasonable quality ebay snapshots ).

    Can some of you please recommend something as decent as the Coolpix 950,
    that I might find refurbed, like on Ebay, for under $200, and that uses
    rechargeable NIMH AA cells or something, and has a USB port?

    And if you could point me to a review with samples, I'd appreciate it too.

    Tom, are you still around here? I was gonna ask you too but lost your email
    address.

    --
    Yours In Liberty, Melissa - Colorado, U.S.A.

    "Guns Defend Life & Liberty" license plate frame
    http://www.cafeshops.com/melissa_photo

    Would like to make friends in the west Denver area with similar interests &
    values. -> Shaolin-based Martial arts, Writing, Rock music, Sci-Fi, Chess,
    Libertarian, Objectivist, RKBA, guns & Shooting, polyamory.
     
    Melissa, Dec 2, 2003
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Melissa

    Don Wiss Guest

    On 2 Dec 2003 15:32:18 -0700, Melissa <> wrote:

    >But I was fantasizing about getting something a little better for Solstice
    >and browsed the ebay auctions out of curiousity. Found this one:
    >http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2967785246
    >for a 950. It was tempting when I found it an hour ago, with the bid at
    >$125 but not so tempting at the final price it sold for.


    The batteries, charger, and 64MB card are all extras that didn't come with
    the camera. I see nothing wrong with the $173.50 price it went for.

    >Plus I went and
    >dug up a web review and found it doesn't have USB, it uses the serial port,
    >which is odd.


    Why it is odd? USB were not common when the camera came out in 1999. For
    less than $25 you buy a SanDisk ImageMate card reader to read the card.
    Much more convenient than struggling with a cable to transfer files.

    Don <donwiss at panix.com>.
     
    Don Wiss, Dec 3, 2003
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Melissa

    J. D. Guest

    Don Wiss wrote:
    > On 2 Dec 2003 15:32:18 -0700, Melissa <> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>But I was fantasizing about getting something a little better for Solstice
    >>and browsed the ebay auctions out of curiousity. Found this one:
    >>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2967785246
    >>for a 950. It was tempting when I found it an hour ago, with the bid at
    >>$125 but not so tempting at the final price it sold for.


    and still a great camera. IMHO, the best 2 megapixel camera around. I
    just recently upgrade to a dSLR, but the 950 gave me tons of great pics.

    My only complaint about the camera was the battery door, which was
    poorly designed.
    >
    >
    > The batteries, charger, and 64MB card are all extras that didn't come with
    > the camera. I see nothing wrong with the $173.50 price it went for.
    >
    >
    >>Plus I went and
    >>dug up a web review and found it doesn't have USB, it uses the serial port,
    >>which is odd.

    >
    >
    > Why it is odd? USB were not common when the camera came out in 1999. For
    > less than $25 you buy a SanDisk ImageMate card reader to read the card.
    > Much more convenient than struggling with a cable to transfer files.


    and so much faster too.
    >
    > Don <donwiss at panix.com>.
     
    J. D., Dec 3, 2003
    #3
  4. Melissa

    Don Wiss Guest

    On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 18:45:10 -0800, "J. D." <> wrote:

    >and still a great camera. IMHO, the best 2 megapixel camera around. I
    >just recently upgrade to a dSLR, but the 950 gave me tons of great pics.
    >
    >My only complaint about the camera was the battery door, which was
    >poorly designed.


    I've been gentle with my doors, and I haven't had a problem. My complaint
    is size and weight. My next camera will be much smaller. But I would keep
    my 950 for macros and when I want to take pictures with an external flash.

    I take my pictures for the web. I have no color printer*. I shoot only at
    640x480. Then no hassles reducing for the web. So all those
    multi-mega-pixels are wasted on me.

    * If I need to print something to convey information I e-mail to the office
    and use a color laser printer. The 640x480s look fine coming from it.

    Don <donwiss at panix.com>.
     
    Don Wiss, Dec 3, 2003
    #4
  5. Melissa

    Melissa Guest

    Ok, so what's a good one in that refurbed price range that has a USB port?

    --
    Yours In Liberty, Melissa - Colorado, U.S.A.

    "Guns Defend Life & Liberty" license plate frame
    http://www.cafeshops.com/melissa_photo

    Would like to make friends in the west Denver area with similar interests &
    values. -> Shaolin-based Martial arts, Writing, Rock music, Sci-Fi, Chess,
    Libertarian, Objectivist, RKBA, guns & Shooting, polyamory.
     
    Melissa, Dec 3, 2003
    #5
  6. Melissa

    J. D. Guest

    Melissa wrote:
    > Ok, so what's a good one in that refurbed price range that has a USB port?
    >

    if you were looking at the 950, then why not the 990 or 995? they have
    USB cables and are not that much more than a 950.
     
    J. D., Dec 4, 2003
    #6
  7. Melissa

    Melissa Guest

    "J. D." <> doth postedeth:

    > Melissa wrote:
    >> Ok, so what's a good one in that refurbed price range that has a USB

    port?
    >>

    > if you were looking at the 950, then why not the 990 or 995? they have
    > USB cables and are not that much more than a 950.


    I actually started looking at them but they cost much more than that one I
    saw.


    --
    Yours In Liberty, Melissa - Colorado, U.S.A.

    "Guns Defend Life & Liberty" license plate frame
    http://www.cafeshops.com/melissa_photo

    Would like to make friends in the west Denver area with similar interests &
    values. -> Shaolin-based Martial arts, Writing, Rock music, Sci-Fi, Chess,
    Libertarian, Objectivist, RKBA, guns & Shooting, polyamory.
     
    Melissa, Dec 4, 2003
    #7
  8. Melissa

    JK Guest

    Why not get a new Fuji A210 for around $175? It is 3.2 megapixel, 3x
    optical zoom, and uses two AA batteries. It seems like a good deal
    for the price. Take a look at this review and the sample images.
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/fuji_a210.html
    There is also a 2 megapixel Fuji A205 at around $130.



    Melissa wrote:

    > Due to money shortages I'm still stuck with a Finepix 1400, which is just
    > good enough for taking snapshots for ebay auctions.
    >
    > But I was fantasizing about getting something a little better for Solstice
    > and browsed the ebay auctions out of curiousity. Found this one:
    > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2967785246
    > for a 950. It was tempting when I found it an hour ago, with the bid at
    > $125 but not so tempting at the final price it sold for. Plus I went and
    > dug up a web review and found it doesn't have USB, it uses the serial port,
    > which is odd.
    >
    > But I'd like to get the most bang for the buck in something with as good a
    > quality as this, that I might pick up refurbed on ebay for under $200. ( I
    > figure I can still sell the Finepix 1400 for maybe $75 and make up some of
    > it - it's a useful camera for reasonable quality ebay snapshots ).
    >
    > Can some of you please recommend something as decent as the Coolpix 950,
    > that I might find refurbed, like on Ebay, for under $200, and that uses
    > rechargeable NIMH AA cells or something, and has a USB port?
    >
    > And if you could point me to a review with samples, I'd appreciate it too.
    >
    > Tom, are you still around here? I was gonna ask you too but lost your email
    > address.
    >
    > --
    > Yours In Liberty, Melissa - Colorado, U.S.A.
    >
    > "Guns Defend Life & Liberty" license plate frame
    > http://www.cafeshops.com/melissa_photo
    >
    > Would like to make friends in the west Denver area with similar interests &
    > values. -> Shaolin-based Martial arts, Writing, Rock music, Sci-Fi, Chess,
    > Libertarian, Objectivist, RKBA, guns & Shooting, polyamory.
     
    JK, Dec 25, 2003
    #8
  9. Melissa

    Melissa Guest

    JK <> doth postedeth:

    >
    > Why not get a new Fuji A210 for around $175? It is 3.2 megapixel, 3x
    > optical zoom, and uses two AA batteries. It seems like a good deal
    > for the price. Take a look at this review and the sample images.
    > http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/fuji_a210.html
    > There is also a 2 megapixel Fuji A205 at around $130.
    >


    Don't see where it's much better than my Finepix 1400. They claimed this
    one had some fancy "designer lens" and it turned out a little on the blurry
    side.

    --
    Yours In Liberty, Melissa - Colorado, U.S.A.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3573997517
    I'm interested in buying an SKS for under $100 with no cosmoline.

    "Guns Defend Life & Liberty" license plate frame
    http://www.cafeshops.com/melissa_photo

    Would like to make friends in the west Denver area with similar interests &
    values. -> Shaolin-based Martial arts, Writing, Rock music, Sci-Fi, Chess,
    Libertarian, Objectivist, RKBA, guns & Shooting, polyamory.
     
    Melissa, Dec 25, 2003
    #9
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. algae

    Newbie question on Coolpix 950.

    algae, Jul 31, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    621
    Ed Ruf
    Aug 1, 2003
  2. Tobit

    Coolpix 950 infra red characteristics

    Tobit, Sep 26, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    804
    Ian Stirling
    Sep 30, 2003
  3. wilmac

    Le Old CoolPix 950

    wilmac, Dec 3, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    881
    wilmac
    Dec 5, 2003
  4. Henry Kolesnik

    Coolpix 950 flash ?

    Henry Kolesnik, Jan 8, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    437
    ONEStar
    Jan 20, 2004
  5. Jeff
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    414
    Ed Ruf
    Feb 25, 2004
Loading...

Share This Page