Look Before Leap into Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Ablang, Nov 2, 2009.

  1. Ablang

    Ablang Guest

    Look Before Leap into Windows 7
    October 26, 2009 11:17 AM (Monday) Author: andrew

    Things You Need to Know to Before Moving Up to Windows 7

    http://www.retrevo.com/my/5875/article/10262175?cmpid=Email

    Windows 7 has been getting favorable reviews for over a year. It has
    been reported that it was running on more than 8 million computers by
    the time it officially launched on October 22nd. Upgrading your
    computer or buying a new Windows 7 computer seems like a very good
    idea however, there are some things you should know about the
    different versions and the hardware platforms they can run on before
    you invest the time and money.

    Cool Features of Windows 7

    In case you need more convincing to move up to Windows 7 here are a
    few of the cool features you get:

    • User Interface improvements including some additions to the Aero
    interface introduced in Vista. Windows 7's new task bar is a big
    improvement over previous versions, you can "pin" programs to the
    taskbar for quick launching and with Aero Peek, you can get a preview
    of a window and switch between windows by hovering over the taskbar.
    It's almost as fun to use as a Mac (not really).

    • More ways to customize the look and feel of your computer with
    more wallpapers, themes and customization options.

    • Improved performance and power management. Users are reporting
    faster boot times, and general performance and battery life
    improvements over Vista.

    • New improved Media Center has some cool player features while the
    whole center environment comes closer to becoming a real home media
    server solution

    • What would a new OS be without a cool new calculator? Win 7's
    calculator not only does statistics and scientific calculations but
    also includes a set of real-world templates for things like gas
    mileage and hourly wages.

    Don't Start With Windows Starter

    Windows 7 Starter is the bare bones version that unfortunately will be
    shipping with many netbooks. Missing from Starter is:

    • Customization features for personalizing your desktop.
    • The cool new interface features in Aero.
    • DVD playback, which may not be important in a drive-less netbook
    unless you want to use an external player.
    • Media Center
    • Windows XP "compatibility" mode.
    • Multi-monitor support
    • 64 Bit support

    Our advice is look for the Windows Home Premium or higher in any
    computer you're considering purchasing.

    Problems with Student Version

    Microsoft wants every student to use Windows 7 and has made a version
    available for $30. Unfortunately students have experienced a few snags
    in getting everything to work. The Microsoft Windows forum has some
    postings about dealing with installation problems. We're sure they'll
    work them out soon but why bother with a $30 upgrade when for the same
    price and a .edu email address you can get full install version?
    Apparently the offer is good until January 2010. The number to call is
    877-696-7786.

    64 Bits is Best

    We’ve seen reports that say Windows 7 performance improvements are
    seen mainly on 64 bit computers. Windows 7 supports both 32 bit and 64
    bit instruction sets except for Windows 7 Starter which only runs in
    32 bit mode. However, even if you do get Home Premium or a higher
    level version you’ll still need 64 bit hardware. Unfortunately, not
    all Atom processors implement a 64 bit instruction set. In fact, N and
    Z series Atom processors which most netbooks run on can't run the
    x86-64 instruction set. If you want 64 bit performance on a netbook
    you'll have to look hard for an Atom processor that supports it or go
    with a netbook with an AMD 64 bit processor like the Gateway LT3103u.

    Check Your System Before Upgrading

    First thing you might want to do before upgrading is use a free tool
    from Microsoft called the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor which looks at
    your system, identifies potential problems and offers solutions for
    them.

    Tools for Migrating From Windows XP
    If you are running Windows Vista, you are going to have a much easier
    time upgrading than if you are using Windows XP. In fact, in some
    cases you might be better off with a fresh install although you'll
    then have to reload all your apps, and data although if you still want
    to try an upgrade there are a some ways to make it easier.

    Laplink offers a tool called PCMover for $19.95 that takes a lot of
    the hassle out of upgrading from Windows XP to Windows 7. Here’s a
    demo of the tool from Notebooks.com

    You can also use Microsoft's Windows Easy Transfer tool that was
    originally intended for use for upgrading from Windows XP to Vista but
    can be used for Windows 7 by following these instructions.

    Users on the web have found another way to ease the upgrade process.
    "Borrow" a copy of Vista and do an upgrade from XP to Vista and then
    onto Windows 7. You won’t even have to stop and validate Vista.

    Best All Around Version

    Windows 7 Home Premium offers probably the best value for most
    personal computer users. Don't confuse the Premium version with Home
    Basic which is not offered in the United States but has some of the
    same limitations as Windows Starter. The upgrade version of Home
    Premium retails for $119.99 and the full install for $199.99 but we
    have already started to see deals and discounts on both products.

    Windows 7 Home Premium includes most of the bells and whistles in
    Windows 7 like the Aero visual interface, Media Center, and new touch
    interface abilities. It supports 64 bit multi-processor hardware and
    also comes with the new applets like Snipping Tool, Sticky Notes, Live
    Preview and Windows Journal.

    What's missing in Home Premium
    If having the highest level of security available encryption is
    important, then you may want to move up to Windows Professional or
    Ultimate. XP mode is also left out of Home Premium. XP Mode allows you
    to run older software written for Windows XP.

    What the Expensive Versions Buy You

    A full install of Windows 7 Professional will cost you $299.99. You
    get some file encryption and automatic backups but for the full
    BitLocker encryption suite you'll need to move up to the Ultimate
    version.

    Domain join makes connecting to other groups of computers like those
    at work easier. Both Win 7 Pro and Ultimate have the Domain join
    feature.

    Windows Home includes backup and restore features but only Pro and
    Ultimate allow you to backup to a network drive.

    You Can Always Wait for Windows 8
    Due out in late 2011 or early 2012, Windows 8 is already in
    development at Microsoft. Rumors mention better multiple monitor
    support, better power management, and better mobile support.

    Ablang, Nov 2, 2009

  2. Ablang

    Frank Guest

    On Nov 2, 7:37 am, Ablang <> wrote:
> [...]
    > to run older software written for Windows XP.
    >
    > What the Expensive Versions Buy You
    >
    > A full install of Windows 7 Professional will cost you $299.99. You
    > get some file encryption and automatic backups but for the full
    > BitLocker encryption suite you'll need to move up to the Ultimate
    > version.
    >
    > Domain join makes connecting to other groups of computers like those
    > at work easier. Both Win 7 Pro and Ultimate have the Domain join
    > feature.
    >
    > Windows Home includes backup and restore features but only Pro and
    > Ultimate allow you to backup to a network drive.
    >
    > You Can Always Wait for Windows 8
    > Due out in late 2011 or early 2012, Windows 8 is already in
    > development at Microsoft. Rumors mention better multiple monitor
    > support, better power management, and better mobile support.

    Does Windows 7 Home 32 support 16-bit. I heard Windows 8 in 2011 or
    Windows 9 in 2013 will have full XP support for 16-bit. Does anyone
    know for sure?

    Frank, Nov 2, 2009

  3. Frank wrote:

    Does Windows 7 Home 32 support 16-bit.
    No.

    I heard Windows 8 in 2011 or Windows 9 in 2013 will have full XP support
    for 16-bit. Does anyone know for sure?
    No one will know for sure until the OS is published. Any source for
    your rumor?

    Bobby Johnson, Nov 2, 2009
  4. Incorrect. Windows 7 Home (and all 32-bit versions of Windows, up to and
    including Windows 7), supports 16-bit. Only 64-bit versions of Windows have
    dropped 16-bit support.

    And you're absolutely right about one thing, though. NO one knows what will
    or won't be a part of Windows vNext, much less vNext.Next. But I'd bet a
    fair amount that there won't be any native support for 16-bit in any version
    that is 64-bit. MS has drawn that line in the sand. Whether there will even
    still BE an "XPMode" is also a big if. XP will be long past support by then.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 2, 2009
  5. You're 100% correct. I thought after I clicked on Send I had made that
    mistake.

    Thanks.

    Bobby Johnson, Nov 2, 2009
  6. Ablang

    Rob Moir Guest

    > Incorrect. Windows 7 Home (and all 32-bit versions of Windows, up to and
    > including Windows 7), supports 16-bit. Only 64-bit versions of Windows
    > have dropped 16-bit support.
    >
    > And you're absolutely right about one thing, though. NO one knows what
    > will or won't be a part of Windows vNext, much less vNext.Next. But I'd
    > bet a fair amount that there won't be any native support for 16-bit in any
    > version that is 64-bit. MS has drawn that line in the sand. Whether there
    > will even still BE an "XPMode" is also a big if. XP will be long past
    > support by then.

    XP Mode might be "32-bit Vista" mode by then. Won't that be *interesting*

    Rob Moir, Nov 8, 2009
  7. Somehow, I doubt it. I expect the landscape to be very different. But I have
    no private knowledge one way or another, just WAGs.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 9, 2009