    showgun Guest

    can anyone help me put with a copy of longhorn to have a
    look around, and i know, i dont need any critisisim
    showgun, Dec 8, 2003

  2. showgun

    Dippi Guest

    A consultant guy here has it, the UI looks friggen cool,
    all Vector based ... bye bye BMP'ed graphical UI .... very
    cool looking O/S fo sho.

    Dippi, Dec 8, 2003

  3. showgun

    Brian Guest

    "showgun" <> wrote
    > and i know, i dont need any critisisim

    Yes, but you'll probably get it anyway.
    Brian, Dec 8, 2003
  4. showgun

    Paul Lynch Guest

    On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 06:19:31 -0800, "Dippi"
    <> wrote:

    >A consultant guy here has it, the UI looks friggen cool,
    >all Vector based ... bye bye BMP'ed graphical UI .... very
    >cool looking O/S fo sho.

    Consultant has a copy ?

    I bet he got it off some wArEz site then :-0

    Regards,

    Paul Lynch
    MCSE
    Paul Lynch, Dec 8, 2003
  5. showgun

    Consultant Guest

    bit torrent ;-)

    Consultant, Dec 8, 2003
  6. Hehehe--so do I, but mine is legit <G>

    Associate Expert
    Unofficial FAQ for Windows Server 2003 at

    Larry Samuels MS-MVP XP \(Shell/User\), Dec 8, 2003
  7. LH is still too far from final...installed it recently on some MS VM 2004,
    it sure ran slow as [censored] but still some interesting features are
    in...will keep hunting for new builds.

    Andrew Lomakin, Dec 9, 2003
  8. showgun

    Glenn Guest

    I ported our application, which is very large imaging application to LH. The
    port to Whidbey and LH went smooth and I noticed a substantial performance
    improvement. I sure hate waiting for the release version of Longhorn to
    deploy my ported app.
    LH and Whidbey is a giant leap forward.
    Glenn MCNGP #16

    Glenn, Dec 9, 2003
  9. wtf is whidbey?
    and LH is GODDAMN slow.
    have you ever looked at task manager after a couple of hours of working in
    LH?
    it's leaking memory as a barrel that has been shot at with a shotgun.

    Andrew Lomakin, Dec 10, 2003
  10. showgun

    Glenn Guest

    First you should realize that Longhorn is ALPHA and won't even be in BETA
    until sometime next year.
    As you would expect for software in ALPHA, there is debug software in the
    current build. If you go to the LH site, you will find
    a list of configuration changes you can make to LH to make it perform quite
    well.
    I was at the PDC and spent a week listening to the developers of LH and
    Whidbey. (Whidbey is Visual Studio 8 for Longhorn). I was and remain very
    impressed.
    I ported my company's app and demo'd it at a very large conference late last
    month and got rave reviews.
    One very common comment I received was the impressive performance of our
    application running on Longhorn.
    I also have noticed nothing unusual in the Task Manager regarding memory
    leakage. You must remember that Longhorn has the .NET framework embedded in
    the operating system. The .NET framework memory model is different than
    that of the older (unmanaged) memory model and can deceive you into thinking
    you have a memory leak when you do not.
    As I discovered with 2003, placing .NET in the operating system yields a 10
    fold performance improvement for .NET applications.
    I saw the same improvement with Longhorn.
    Thanks,
    Glenn

    Glenn, Dec 10, 2003
  11. showgun

    Glenn Guest

    Also I noticed you installed LH on top of the MS VM. I did not. I
    installed LH directly believing that the MS VM would cause performance
    problems.
    That might have been your problem.
    Glenn

    Glenn, Dec 10, 2003
  12. showgun

    Paul Lynch Guest

    On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 09:53:22 +0200, "Andrew Lomakin" <>
    wrote:

    >wtf is whidbey?
    >and LH is GODDAMN slow.
    >have you ever looked at task manager after a couple of hours of working in
    >LH?
    >it's leaking memory as a barrel that has been shot at with a shotgun.

    I installed it on an Athlon 1.4Ghz with 768Mb DDR memory and an
    ultra-fast 7,200 RPM 8Mb cache hard drive and it ran so slooooow that
    I just re-formatted and re-installed XP.

    It is pre-Alpha code though so I'm not reading anything into this.

    Regards,

    Paul Lynch
    MCSE
    Paul Lynch, Dec 10, 2003
  13. showgun

    Glenn Guest

    Try installing it natively with out the MS VM.
    I am not experiencing your results.
    Glenn

    Glenn, Dec 10, 2003
  14. showgun

    Paul Lynch Guest

    On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 11:07:22 -0800, "Glenn" <>
    wrote:

    >Try installing it natively with out the MS VM.
    >I am not experiencing your results.
    >Glenn

    You might be right. My install was actually an upgrade from XP
    Professional.

    Yes, I know :-[

    Regards,

    Paul Lynch