" Longhorn" to christened" Windows Vista"

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?TEFPRkE=?=, Jul 22, 2005.

  1. =?Utf-8?B?TEFPRkE=?=, Jul 22, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?TEFPRkE=?=

    M. Murcek Guest

    There will be a 64 bit version. Rumor mill sez maybe as many as 7 different
    SKUs...

    M. Murcek, Jul 22, 2005

  3. The present x64 is part of the XP family. Longhorn is the next generation
    of Windows. Longhorn Beta 1 will go to the beta testers in the next few
    days and will include 32-bit and 64-bit versions of both the client and
    server. Longhorn is planned for a fourth quarter 2006 release.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 22, 2005
  4. I rather liked "Longhorn". The Home edition could have been "Shorthorn" and
    the MCE edition could have been "Flugelhorn." Perhaps outlook could have
    become "Posthorn." Windows Auto could have become "Carhorn" (what else?).
    Windows XP N would naturally be "Dehorned". The possibilities were endless.

    Vista is an apt choice, but users whose boxes don't support Aero Glass will
    miss the full meaning.

    But I fear the pundits will dub it "hasta la vista" during the runup to
    release because it is still going to be quite a while.

    I would have thought the name would be much fresher if not disclosed until
    just before rtm. Releasing it this far out invites an Osborne effect for
    sales of XP to upgraders from 9x/ME and W2k from now until the end of next
    year.

    But what do I know? </shrug>

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 22, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?TEFPRkE=?=

    Neal Guest

    I wish I could affored to do the beta testing with MS.

    Neal, Jul 22, 2005
  6. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 22, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?TEFPRkE=?=

    WM Guest

    Beta testing doesn't cost you anything... It's just a matter of getting on
    programs to receive builds.

    WM, Jul 22, 2005
  8. WM <> wrote:
    > Beta testing doesn't cost you anything... It's just a matter of
    > getting on programs to receive builds.

    Sure, you just need the right pc for the OS, and when it comes to Vista, you
    need a strong one.... so obviously, not anyone can afford the beta....

    Cheers

    --
    Christian Hougardy
    (Ruiselede - Belgium)
    Christian Hougardy \(MS XP MVP\), Jul 22, 2005
  9. Actually, it is a good idea to have two. One for your production stuff and
    one for the beta testing. It can be expensive.

    "Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)" <> wrote in
    message news:%23%...

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 22, 2005
  10. There were CNet articles on Longhorn and the Seven Dwarfs (my tag not
    CNet's) a few months ago. Nothing lately.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 22, 2005
  11. Its growing on me. :)
    --
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 22, 2005
  12. =?Utf-8?B?TEFPRkE=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    I think it was named in a sewing circle gathering. Certainly sounds lazy
    and unrobust. Wish they would stick with Longhorn.

    John Barnes, Jul 22, 2005
  13. =?Utf-8?B?TEFPRkE=?=

    Harry Ohrn Guest

    I personally have 2 test systems, neither of which belong to my wife. I
    wouldn't dare install a beta on her system or there would be a "BIG
    production." ;-)

    One way to keep costs down is to build your own. I just finished putting
    together a test system for the Longhorn beta. I already had the case, 450w
    psu, DVD Writer, CD-R/W and DVD combo, and a 120GB Hard Drive. I picked up
    an AMD 3000+ 64bit processor, a MachSpeed K8m8ms motherboard, and 1GB DDR
    3200 for under $300 CND. It is a low end system but it will work fine for
    the beta and I can always all more RAM if need be.
    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    Harry Ohrn, Jul 22, 2005
  14. Its great name, some how when I think of Vista, these things come to mind,
    Mexico, Brazil, Miami Vice, CSI Miami, Carnival.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 22, 2005
  15. Actually the biggest issue for LH is going to be video cards. For the beta,
    I'll stick with what I've got -- on at least a couple of machines it's good
    enough. But as we get closer to release, I'll be looking at bumping up the
    video card to the then current level from one of the major mfgs. I'll never
    spend the $$ for an absolute upper limit GPU, but generally look at the tier
    just below that. Which means that my current cards will be fine for the beta,
    but I'll want a bit more for production.

    --
    Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
    ======================

    >>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 22, 2005
  16. =?Utf-8?B?TEFPRkE=?=

    M. Murcek Guest

    I've had enough - I'm going back to Cairo...

    M. Murcek, Jul 22, 2005
  17. =?Utf-8?B?TEFPRkE=?=

    DKI Guest

    I got use to longhorn my self as did other people i know. i would of pefered
    it as the releas name as well as the codename. oh well. vista it is.

    DKI, Jul 22, 2005
  18. Remember to climb Whistler and drop by Longhorn bar for drink before you
    leave. :)

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 22, 2005
  19. I can afford it, but I'm not allowed to use it yet. :)

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 22, 2005
  20. Harry get this Vista off my PC!!!! :)

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 22, 2005