    There is a WDF Beta that will work with Longhorn or Server 2003 x64 and
    figured there may be something a version of Longhorn to use for the WDF.
    Also Avalon and Indigo are Betas and are built in components of Longhorn.

    Gary MCSE, Jun 1, 2005

  2. Gary MCSE wrote:
    > I was curious if there are any builds available for Longhorn yet.
    > I realize its very early on in the process but was hoping for some
    > kind of Beta for it.
    > There is a WDF Beta that will work with Longhorn or Server 2003 x64
    > and figured there may be something a version of Longhorn to use for
    > the WDF. Also Avalon and Indigo are Betas and are built in components
    > of Longhorn.

    I heard that the Longhorn Beta program was to begin sometime this summer. :)

    Wayne Wastier, Jun 1, 2005

  3. "Gary MCSE" <> wrote in message
    >I was curious if there are any builds available for Longhorn yet.
    > I realize its very early on in the process but was hoping for some kind of
    > Beta for it.
    > There is a WDF Beta that will work with Longhorn or Server 2003 x64 and
    > figured there may be something a version of Longhorn to use for the WDF.
    > Also Avalon and Indigo are Betas and are built in components of Longhorn.

    The Beta program for Windows "Longhorn" (client) will commence this summer
    (2005 - Northern hemisphere)
    If you wish to nominate yourself for the program (no guarantee of success)
    then visit beta.microsoft.com and follow the onscreen instructions.

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], Jun 1, 2005
  4. Gary MCSE

    Gary MCSE Guest

    I am currently on the WDF Beta and just nominated myself for the Longhorn
    Beta as well.
    Hey Mike..Any inside details about the OS that you can discuss?

    Gary MCSE, Jun 1, 2005
  5. "Gary MCSE" <> wrote in message
    >I am currently on the WDF Beta and just nominated myself for the Longhorn
    >Beta as well.
    > Hey Mike..Any inside details about the OS that you can discuss?

    Well if you are a developer the Beta 1 is going to be great. (beta 2 will be
    great for end user experience etc)
    Lots of new stuff - obviously the Avalon and Indigo technologies - new
    driver models for video and lots more.
    Have a look at the slide decks from the WinHEC to see lots of interesting
    stuff.
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/winhec/papers05.mspx
    (although I suspect you attended)

    All I can say publicly is "just wait and see :) "

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], Jun 1, 2005
  6. I think Microsoft is selecting persons who have participated well in past
    Windows betas.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 1, 2005
  7. "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <> wrote in message
    >I think Microsoft is selecting persons who have participated well in past
    >Windows betas.
    > --
    > Andre

    That is certainly one factor, but there are others such as your profile of
    hardware and usage scenarios and many others :)

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], Jun 1, 2005
  8. Pardon; One stupid question - will that one come as 32bit as well? Not that
    would buy one - just curious.

    Furthermore, will it provide for EFI, and if so will it be backwards
    compatible
    for the aging BIOS???

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 1, 2005
  9. Longhorn Tech. is already appearing in Betaplace under Modify Info.

    Rafael Rivera
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/Rafael

    Rafael Rivera [Extended64.com], Jun 1, 2005
  10. "Tony Sperling" <> wrote in message
    > Pardon; One stupid question - will that one come as 32bit as well? Not
    > that I
    > would buy one - just curious.
    >
    > Furthermore, will it provide for EFI, and if so will it be backwards
    > compatible
    > for the aging BIOS???

    We are currently building both x64 (64-bit) and x86 (32-bit) versions of
    Windows "Longhorn".
    While we are still over a year from release - it is highly likely that we
    will ship both 32 and 64 bit.

    I cannot comment on specific at this time.
    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], Jun 1, 2005
  11. Gary MCSE

    Kevin Panzke Guest

    Looks like Microsoft does not want to invite me to beta test Longhorn Beta
    1. Quite a shame, since I would be the perfect candidate to beta test the
    x64 Edition of Longhorn Beta 1 on my Dell Dimension 8400 (It has 512 MB's of
    RAM and 128 MB's of Video RAM so it meets the minimum system requirements
    for Longhorn Beta 1). In addition I plan to add more RAM to the computer
    this summer as a Birthday Present for myself.

    Kevin Panzke, Jun 2, 2005
  12. Gary MCSE

    Kevin Panzke Guest

    I guess that I will have to find a way to sneek into the Longhorn Beta, the
    same way that I sneeked into the WS2003 SP1 Beta (By getting myself into a
    Beta that will automaticly get me enrolled into the Longhorn Beta).

    Kevin Panzke, Jun 2, 2005
  13. Gary MCSE

    Kevin Panzke Guest

    For example: It was Windows Update 5.0 that got me into the Windows XP
    Service Pack 2 Beta and it was the WDF Beta that got me into the Windows
    Server 2003 Service Pack 1 Beta. There has got to be some way to
    automaticly get into Longhorn Beta 1 as well. Please reply to this post if
    you know a way to automaticly get enrolled into Longhorn Beta 1.

    Kevin Panzke, Jun 2, 2005
  14. Kevin Panzke wrote:
    > For example: It was Windows Update 5.0 that got me into the Windows XP
    > Service Pack 2 Beta and it was the WDF Beta that got me into the
    > Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 Beta. There has got to be some
    > way to automaticly get into Longhorn Beta 1 as well. Please reply to
    > this post if you know a way to automaticly get enrolled into Longhorn
    > Beta 1.

    Kevin, the Longhorn Beta program hasn't started yet.

    Wayne

    Wayne Wastier, Jun 2, 2005
  15. "Kevin Panzke" <> wrote in message
    > Looks like Microsoft does not want to invite me to beta test Longhorn Beta
    > 1. Quite a shame, since I would be the perfect candidate to beta test the
    > x64 Edition of Longhorn Beta 1 on my Dell Dimension 8400 (It has 512 MB's
    > of RAM and 128 MB's of Video RAM so it meets the minimum system
    > requirements for Longhorn Beta 1). In addition I plan to add more RAM to
    > the computer this summer as a Birthday Present for myself.

    Why do you think you are not being invited to join the Longhorn beta ? - we
    have not sent out the invites to thus preselected yet , and if you nominated
    yourself you only hear something when we do select you.
    As regards your other posts about "sneaking on" - there are currently no
    Betas that have a dependency on the Longhorn Beta.
    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], Jun 2, 2005
  16. Gary MCSE

    Neal Guest

    Just wondering I have done beta testing in the past but never direct with MS
    so I would I try to get on the list for them to look at me for beta testing?

    Neal, Jun 2, 2005
  17. "Neal" <> wrote in message
    > Just wondering I have done beta testing in the past but never direct with
    > MS so I would I try to get on the list for them to look at me for beta
    > testing?

    (Sorry I do not understand your post fully but ...)

    Then follow the advice I have already provided. (copied below again)

    "...
    The Beta program for Windows "Longhorn" (client) will commence this summer
    (2005 - Northern hemisphere)
    If you wish to nominate yourself for the program (no guarantee of success)
    then visit beta.microsoft.com and follow the onscreen instructions.
    ...."

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], Jun 2, 2005
  18. We can all hope and pray, I definitely would love to test it.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 2, 2005
  19. Gary MCSE

    Kevin Panzke Guest

    That's impossible! Mike has already said that no one has been invited yet
    (unless he was lying)!

    "Rafael Rivera [Extended64.com]" <rafael*at*extended64*dot*com> wrote in
    message news:...

    Kevin Panzke, Jun 2, 2005
  20. "Kevin Panzke" <> wrote in message
    > That's impossible! Mike has already said that no one has been invited yet
    > (unless he was lying)!

    I did not say no one has been invited - I said the Beta Program had not
    started as we have not finished the Beat 1 build yet (and will not do so for
    a number of weeks), invites and nominations do happen prior to the release
    of the Beta code as those testers should have access to it from the day we
    sign off and make available to them the code.

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --