    low-res version of your content--if you're lucky. If you're not lucky,
    you'll get a blank screen.

    More details at <http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000143050582>.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jul 16, 2005

  2. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    thingy Guest

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    > Looks like there will be a new feature in Longhorn after all...
    >
    > This is the ability to play back hi-res "premium" video content, e.g.
    > from Blu-Ray/HD-DVD discs. Only problem is, such content is
    > copy-protected, so it will only be displayed if your monitor is
    > compatible with the copy-protection scheme. If it's not, you'll see a
    > low-res version of your content--if you're lucky. If you're not lucky,
    > you'll get a blank screen.
    >
    > More details at <http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000143050582>.

    I scratch my head on why they think this will work!

    Will consumers really role over and die? just let it happen?

    I suspect not.

    regards

    thing

    thingy, Jul 16, 2005

  3. In article <>,
    thingy <> wrote:

    >Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    >> Looks like there will be a new feature in Longhorn after all...
    >>
    >> This is the ability to play back hi-res "premium" video content, e.g.
    >> from Blu-Ray/HD-DVD discs. Only problem is, such content is
    >> copy-protected, so it will only be displayed if your monitor is
    >> compatible with the copy-protection scheme. If it's not, you'll see a
    >> low-res version of your content--if you're lucky. If you're not lucky,
    >> you'll get a blank screen.
    >>
    >> More details at <http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000143050582>.

    >I scratch my head on why they think this will work!
    >
    >Will consumers really role over and die? just let it happen?

    If it's built into Longhorn, so you can't get Longhorn without it, then
    yes, a lot of Dimdows users will still upgrade.

    By the way, "a lot" doesn't necessarily mean "a large fraction". Half of
    all Dimdows users are still running pre-XP versions.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jul 16, 2005
  4. In article <>, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    >In article <>,
    > thingy <> wrote:
    >
    >>Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    >>> Looks like there will be a new feature in Longhorn after all...
    >>>
    >>> This is the ability to play back hi-res "premium" video content, e.g.
    >>> from Blu-Ray/HD-DVD discs. Only problem is, such content is
    >>> copy-protected, so it will only be displayed if your monitor is
    >>> compatible with the copy-protection scheme. If it's not, you'll see a
    >>> low-res version of your content--if you're lucky. If you're not lucky,
    >>> you'll get a blank screen.
    >>>
    >>> More details at <http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000143050582>.

    >>I scratch my head on why they think this will work!
    >>
    >>Will consumers really role over and die? just let it happen?

    >If it's built into Longhorn, so you can't get Longhorn without it, then
    >yes, a lot of Dimdows users will still upgrade.
    >
    >By the way, "a lot" doesn't necessarily mean "a large fraction". Half of
    >all Dimdows users are still running pre-XP versions.

    .. but someone will crack it in a couple of weeks anyway on previous
    experience :)

    Bruce

    (if there were any)

    Bruce Sinclair, Jul 17, 2005
  5. In article <>,
    I wrote:

    >Looks like there will be a new feature in Longhorn after all...
    >
    >This is the ability to play back hi-res "premium" video content, e.g.
    >from Blu-Ray/HD-DVD discs. Only problem is, such content is
    >copy-protected, so it will only be displayed if your monitor is
    >compatible with the copy-protection scheme. If it's not, you'll see a
    >low-res version of your content--if you're lucky. If you're not lucky,
    >you'll get a blank screen.
    >
    >More details at <http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000143050582>.

    Whaddaya know...

    Looks like HDCP can be broken after all
    <http://apache.dataloss.nl/~fred/www.nunce.org/hdcp/hdcp111901.htm>.
    What you need is some random set of 40 HDCP-compliant devices that you
    can hack into to obtain their private keys. Once you've got these, you
    can represent the keys for any HDCP-compliant device as a simple linear
    combination of these 40 basis keys, and fake the authentication that way.

    This cockup, and the earlier one with DVD CSS, show the folly of trying
    to come up with a new, secret cryptographic system that's any good. I
    don't know what encryption schemes Blu-Ray and HD-DVD discs will use on
    the discs themselves, but given the secrecy surrounding the issue, I
    wouldn't be surprised to learn that there are fatal flaws in those as
    well.

    It's very hard to come up with a good cryptographic system. The only way
    to be sure it works is to have as many bright minds trying to tear it
    apart as possible, _before_ it becomes a standard set in stone. These
    days, that means that the cryptography spec must be public, so anyone
    can look at it. Nobody has the resources needed to do this sort of thing
    on an entirely internal, confidential basis.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Aug 1, 2005