    THE longest.
    TIA ;-)
    --
    DaveG, Dec 22, 2004

  2. DaveG

    °Mike° Guest

    Well this one has 586 messages (not counting X-No-Archived
    posts), and I'm sure there are longer threads out there:
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?Y30F2351A

    On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 12:36:22 +0000, in
    <>
    DaveG scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Dec 22, 2004

  3. DaveG

    DaveG Guest

    °Mike° wrote:

    > Well this one has 586 messages (not counting X-No-Archived
    > posts), and I'm sure there are longer threads out there:
    > http://makeashorterlink.com/?Y30F2351A

    hmmm..... this is the point of that NG though isn't it??
    ie to make long (nonsensical) threads.

    DaveG, Dec 22, 2004
  4. DaveG

    °Mike° Guest

    On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 17:11:32 +0000, in
    <>
    DaveG scrawled:

    >°Mike° wrote:
    >
    >> Well this one has 586 messages (not counting X-No-Archived
    >> posts), and I'm sure there are longer threads out there:
    >> http://makeashorterlink.com/?Y30F2351A

    >hmmm..... this is the point of that NG though isn't it??
    >ie to make long (nonsensical) threads.

    I have no idea. What's your point? You asked a question,
    and got an answer; you never said that certain newsgroups
    were excluded.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Dec 22, 2004
  5. °Mike° wrote:

    > On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 17:11:32 +0000, in
    > <>
    > DaveG scrawled:
    >

    >>°Mike° wrote:
    >>

    >>>Well this one has 586 messages (not counting X-No-Archived
    >>>posts), and I'm sure there are longer threads out there:
    >>>http://makeashorterlink.com/?Y30F2351A

    >>hmmm..... this is the point of that NG though isn't it??
    >>ie to make long (nonsensical) threads.

    > I have no idea. What's your point? You asked a question,
    > and got an answer; you never said that certain newsgroups
    > were excluded.

    He's wanting a long thread. Keep up your end of the conversation.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Dec 22, 2004
  6. DaveG

    anthonyberet Guest

    "DaveG" <DG@the_controls.net> wrote in message
    > Does anyone know how long the longest thread, ergo discussion, lasted on
    > usenet and how many individual threads it contained?
    >
    > I can name one with 394 threads (and counting) so now I'm curious about
    > THE longest.
    > TIA ;-)

    I imagine it would be the Snuh cascade. - Started in mid 1999 and still
    going today.
    anthonyberet, Dec 22, 2004
  7. DaveG

    G. Morgan Guest

    On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 12:36:22 +0000 "DaveG"
    used 7 lines of text to write in newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk

    >Does anyone know how long the longest thread, ergo discussion, lasted on
    >usenet and how many individual threads it contained?
    >
    >I can name one with 394 threads (and counting) so now I'm curious about
    >THE longest.
    >TIA ;-)

    There is one on talk.origins that went over 1000 last time I checked about a
    month ago. It might still be going.

    --
    -Graham

    Remove the 'snails' from my email
    G. Morgan, Dec 22, 2004
  8. DaveG

    °Mike° Guest

    On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 15:10:10 -0500, in
    <>
    Rôgêr scrawled:

    >°Mike° wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 17:11:32 +0000, in
    >> <>
    >> DaveG scrawled:

    >>>hmmm..... this is the point of that NG though isn't it??
    >>>ie to make long (nonsensical) threads.

    >> I have no idea. What's your point? You asked a question,
    >> and got an answer; you never said that certain newsgroups
    >> were excluded.
    >>

    >He's wanting a long thread. Keep up your end of the conversation.

    I'm outa here.

    --
    STGP, OGPE24HSHD
    °Mike°, Dec 23, 2004
  9. DaveG

    SW Guest

    DaveG wrote:
    > Does anyone know how long the longest thread, ergo discussion, lasted
    > on usenet and how many individual threads it contained?
    >
    > I can name one with 394 threads (and counting) so now I'm curious
    > about THE longest.
    > TIA ;-)

    Its not Usenet, but I know of a discussion forum with a thread that is 1210
    posts long.

    The title of the thread - Test, Please Ignore
    SW, Dec 23, 2004
  10. DaveG

    Lookout Guest

    On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 01:10:36 +0000, °Mike° <>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 15:10:10 -0500, in
    > <>
    > Rôgêr scrawled:
    >
    >>°Mike° wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 17:11:32 +0000, in
    >>> <>
    >>> DaveG scrawled:

    >>> I have no idea. What's your point? You asked a question,
    >>> and got an answer; you never said that certain newsgroups
    >>> were excluded.
    >>>

    >>He's wanting a long thread. Keep up your end of the conversation.

    >I'm outa here.

    See Mike. See the hoop. See Mike see the hoop. Jump Mike Jump.
    Lookout, Dec 23, 2004
  11. DaveG

    Lookout Guest

    forever.

    If a society needs a large, powerful law enforcement establishment,
    then there is something gravely wrong with that society; it must be
    subjecting people to severe pressures if so many refuse to follow the
    rules, or follow them only because forced. Many societies in the past
    have gotten by with little or no formal law-enforcement.

    27. (Paragraph 151) To be sure, past societies have had means of
    influencing behavior, but these have been primitive and of low
    effectiveness compared with the technological means that are now being
    developed.

    28. (Paragraph 152) However, some psychologists have publicly
    expressed opinions indicating their contempt for human freedom. And
    the mathematician Claude Shannon was quoted in Omni (August 1987) as
    saying, "I visualize a time when we will be to robots what dogs are to
    humans, and I'm rooting for the machines."

    29. (Paragraph 154) This is no science fiction! After writing
    paragraph 154 we came across an article in Scientific American
    according to which scientists are actively developing techniques for
    identifying possible future criminals and for treating them by a
    combination of biological and psychological means. Some scientists
    advocate compulsory application of the treatment, which may be
    available in the near future. (See "Seeking the Criminal Element", by
    W. Wayt Gibbs, Scientific American, March 1995.) Maybe you think this
    is OK beca
    Lookout, Dec 23, 2004