    price jump to the next level. Anything in between?

    Thanks for any tips on the most played out question ever!

    RB

    Bobsprit, Dec 10, 2004

  2. Bobsprit

    AK Guest

    I use the Sigma lens you mentioned, but FYI, here is the Nikkkor 70 - 300
    for about $130 for the "G" version and $280 for the ED version at B&H (and
    probably other places too):

    Nikon Zoom Telephoto AF Zoom Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G Autofocus Lens - Black
    Nikon Zoom Telephoto AF Zoom Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6D ED Autofocus Lens

    AK, Dec 10, 2004

  3. Bobsprit

    Bobsprit Guest

    I use the Sigma lens you mentioned, but FYI, here is the Nikkkor 70 - 300
    for about $130 for the "G" version and $280 for the ED version at B&H (and
    probably other places too):>>>

    Yes, but by many accounts the Nikkor 70-300 is not better than the Sigma. I was
    hoping that there was an smaller jump up from a 200 dollar lens than spending
    700 dollars.

    RB

    Bobsprit, Dec 10, 2004
  4. "Bobsprit" <> wrote in message
    > I have a new D70 with the 18-70mm kit lens and also a 50mm 1.8. I imagine

    that
    > once in a while I'll want to do some deeper shots. I see the Sigman

    70-300mm
    > APO is a popular low cost choice for under 200.00. Is there anything else

    > should be looking at? A 70-200mm would also work. I'd rather not spend

    more
    > than 400.00 or so. It seems that after a lens like the Sigma there is a

    HUGE
    > price jump to the next level. Anything in between?
    >
    > Thanks for any tips on the most played out question ever!
    >
    > RB

    How about the Tamron 28 - 200 (or is it 300?) for digitals?
    Can someone with experience comment please?

    Gerrit - Oz

    Gerrit 't Hart, Dec 10, 2004
  5. Bobsprit

    teflon Guest

    On 10/12/04 4:40 am, in article
    , "Bobsprit" <>
    wrote:

    > I have a new D70 with the 18-70mm kit lens and also a 50mm 1.8. I imagine that
    > once in a while I'll want to do some deeper shots. I see the Sigman 70-300mm
    > APO is a popular low cost choice for under 200.00. Is there anything else I
    > should be looking at? A 70-200mm would also work. I'd rather not spend more
    > than 400.00 or so. It seems that after a lens like the Sigma there is a HUGE
    > price jump to the next level. Anything in between?
    >
    > Thanks for any tips on the most played out question ever!
    >
    > RB

    I suggest looking at the discontinued Nikon f/2.8 80-200 ED (2 ring version)
    in the secondhand market. It will be a tad more than you budgeted for, but
    it's an amazingly good lens.

    Or, if the budget really is that tight, a Nikon 70-210 4-5.6 D. This has
    been discontinued for a few years now, but it's a true bargain for the
    performance - and far better than the lenses you are thinking about.

    Hope this helps.

    teflon, Dec 10, 2004
  6. Bobsprit

    bob Guest

    teflon <> wrote in

    > I suggest looking at the discontinued Nikon f/2.8 80-200 ED (2 ring
    > version) in the secondhand market. It will be a tad more than you
    > budgeted for, but it's an amazingly good lens.

    That's a big lens.

    I thought about getting one years ago to go with my F4, but opted for a
    f/2.8 180AF. The 180 is about 1/2 the bulk of the 80-200. They were the
    same price (both used). To zoom or not to zoom... ;-)

    Bob

    bob, Dec 10, 2004
  7. Bobsprit

    teflon Guest

    On 10/12/04 3:50 pm, in article Xns95BB6EE7EC33Dj123w123x123@216.77.188.18,
    "bob" <> wrote:

    > That's a big lens.
    >
    > I thought about getting one years ago to go with my F4, but opted for a
    > f/2.8 180AF. The 180 is about 1/2 the bulk of the 80-200. They were the
    > same price (both used). To zoom or not to zoom... ;-)
    >
    > Bob

    It's bigger than some, but easily manageable. Whatever suits you best.

    teflon, Dec 10, 2004
  8. Bobsprit

    teflon Guest

    On 10/12/04 4:21 pm, in article BDDF7DA2.D0EA%,
    "teflon" <> wrote:

    > On 10/12/04 3:50 pm, in article Xns95BB6EE7EC33Dj123w123x123@216.77.188.18,
    > "bob" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> That's a big lens.
    >>
    >> I thought about getting one years ago to go with my F4, but opted for a
    >> f/2.8 180AF. The 180 is about 1/2 the bulk of the 80-200. They were the
    >> same price (both used). To zoom or not to zoom... ;-)
    >>
    >> Bob

    > It's bigger than some, but easily manageable. Whatever suits you best.

    Also, seeing as the D70 is very light, it might even out a bit.

    ....just a thought.

    teflon, Dec 10, 2004
  9. Bobsprit

    Fred B. Guest

    I have used the older version of the sigma 70-300 apo for years. I have no
    qualms about using it. Stepped down a bit you get great photos. It's heavy
    and a slow focuser, but no problem with me.

    Try getting one from a store with a good return policy. Try it out. You
    will be surprised.

    I use it for nature photography. 200mm zooms are just too short. 300mm
    does fine.

    Fred B., Dec 11, 2004