    to fire up. Only 83% of drive C is being used.

    Any ideas???

    Thanks Ron
    RON, Jan 20, 2006

  2. RON

    Mitch Guest

    In article <>, RON
    <> wrote:

    > Only 83% of drive C is being used.

    That sounds like a pretty high percentage, doesn't it?

    How much space is that? Or how big is the drive?
    Mitch, Jan 20, 2006

  3. RON

    John Holmes Guest

    RON blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > Operating system is Windows XP home. Provider is Adelphia high speed .
    > When I turn on my computer from the switch on the computer to getting
    > to my desktop can take many minutes and some times I have to pull the
    > plug and let it sit and try again. I have scanned it for spyware and
    > viruses. I Have defaged and compacted and used the disk clean up and
    > it still takes to long to fire up. Only 83% of drive C is being used.
    >
    > Any ideas???
    >
    > Thanks Ron

    Only 83% of harddrive C is used? You'll need to get a harder drive.

    --
    Your mother was a puny religious zealot who chatted endlessly over the
    internet in disused warehouses.
    John Holmes, Jan 20, 2006
  4. RON

    JP Guest

    "RON" <> wrote in message
    > Operating system is Windows XP home. Provider is Adelphia high speed .
    > When I turn on my computer from the switch on the computer to getting to
    > my desktop can take many minutes and some times I have to pull the plug
    > and let it sit and try again. I have scanned it for spyware and viruses. I
    > Have defaged and compacted and used the disk clean up and it still takes
    > to long to fire up. Only 83% of drive C is being used.
    >
    > Any ideas???
    >
    > Thanks Ron

    click start > run > type msconfig, click startup then click disable all,
    apply, close. restart and see if it's better. If it is, there's something in
    there (or lots of things put together) that's causing it.
    You can then track down which item caused it by enabling just half and
    trying and so on, a bit like the game mastermind with the pegs... a bit
    time consuming, but sounds like the most likely cause.
    -JP
    JP, Jan 20, 2006
  5. RON

    FingAZ Guest

    RON wrote:
    > Operating system is Windows XP home. Provider is Adelphia high speed . When
    > I turn on my computer from the switch on the computer to getting to my
    > desktop can take many minutes and some times I have to pull the plug and let
    > it sit and try again. I have scanned it for spyware and viruses. I Have
    > defaged and compacted and used the disk clean up and it still takes to long
    > to fire up. Only 83% of drive C is being used.
    >
    > Any ideas???
    >
    > Thanks Ron

    How old is the system? If you can, check your CPU's temperature; this
    can usually be done in the BIOS (usually press F2 or DEL when you first
    switch you computer on).
    I did work on a computer a few weeks back which ran extremely slowly-
    and was running on a high temp; this developed into BSoD's and lockups
    too, any of those?

    Darren.
    FingAZ, Jan 20, 2006
  6. RON

    Rich Wilson Guest

    "Mitch" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, RON
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Only 83% of drive C is being used.

    > That sounds like a pretty high percentage, doesn't it?
    >
    > How much space is that? Or how big is the drive?

    Mine's 96% full (out of 10 GB) and it works fine. Must get round to cleaning
    it up one of these days though...
    Rich Wilson, Jan 21, 2006
  7. RON

    Bishoop Guest

    "RON" <> wrote in message
    > Operating system is Windows XP home. Provider is Adelphia high speed .
    > When I turn on my computer from the switch on the computer to getting to
    > my desktop can take many minutes and some times I have to pull the plug
    > and let it sit and try again. I have scanned it for spyware and viruses. I
    > Have defaged and compacted and used the disk clean up and it still takes
    > to long to fire up. Only 83% of drive C is being used.
    >
    > Any ideas???
    >
    > Thanks Ron

    Run chkdsk
    Bishoop, Jan 30, 2006
  8. RON

    Bishoop Guest

    "Bishoop" <> wrote in message

    > "RON" <> wrote in message
    >> Operating system is Windows XP home. Provider is Adelphia high speed .
    >> When I turn on my computer from the switch on the computer to getting to
    >> my desktop can take many minutes and some times I have to pull the plug
    >> and let it sit and try again. I have scanned it for spyware and viruses.
    >> I Have defaged and compacted and used the disk clean up and it still
    >> takes to long to fire up. Only 83% of drive C is being used.
    >>
    >> Any ideas???
    >>
    >> Thanks Ron

    > Run chkdsk

    Also backup and data you would really hate to lose. The drive maybe ready
    to go TU.
    Bishoop, Jan 30, 2006
  9. Re: Re: Long time to load??

    Bishoop wrote:

    >Run chkdsk

    I'm not sure I understand you fully.
    Elizavita Chirkova, Jan 30, 2006
  10. Re: Re: Long time to load??

    Bishoop wrote:

    >Also backup and data you would really hate to lose. The drive maybe ready
    >to go TU.

    Oh, I would really hate to lose?
    Elizavita Chirkova, Jan 30, 2006
  11. Re: Re: Re: Long time to load??

    Elizavita Chirkova wrote:

    Bishoop wrote:

    >I'm not sure I understand you fully.

    We were discussing you -- not me.
    Elizavita Chirkova, Jan 30, 2006
  12. Re: Re: Re: Long time to load??

    Elizavita Chirkova wrote:

    Bishoop wrote:

    >Oh, I would really hate to lose?

    Do you say you would really hate to lose for some special reason?
    Elizavita Chirkova, Jan 30, 2006
  13. Re: Re: Re: Re: Long time to load??

    Elizavita Chirkova, Jan 30, 2006
  14. Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Long time to load??

    Elizavita Chirkova, Jan 30, 2006
  15. Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Long time to load??

    Elizavita Chirkova wrote:

    Elizavita Chirkova wrote:

    >Elizavita Chirkova wrote:
    >
    >I'm not sure I understand you fully.

    What are your feelings now?
    Elizavita Chirkova, Jan 30, 2006
  16. Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Long time to load??

    Elizavita Chirkova wrote:

    Elizavita Chirkova wrote:

    >Elizavita Chirkova wrote:
    >
    >What are your feelings now?

    Have you asked anyone else?
    Elizavita Chirkova, Jan 30, 2006
  17. Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Long time to load??

    Elizavita Chirkova wrote:

    Elizavita Chirkova wrote:

    >Elizavita Chirkova wrote:
    >
    >Have you asked anyone else?