Long term project - Osborne Executive Mod

Discussion in 'Case Modding' started by bigal, Nov 14, 2005.

?

Should Big Al run for office now?

  1. Like Kerry, he's a legend in his own mind. That qualifies him!

    100.0%
  2. This has gone too far. If he were in office, we shall be doomed.

    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Can you imagine his office computer?

    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Can you imagine his office restroom? Cold cathodes behind the toilet....

    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I'm sorry. Did you ask me a question?

    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I've been thinking about modding my old Osborne Executive for a while now.  This old CP/M machine from the early 1980's isn't used much anymore (actually, it hasn't been touched for at least 10 years), and I know there is power within that can be used for the good of mankind.  Or at least it could do some gaming!
    This is a long-term project, and it will last past the coming holiday season.  The parts will cost significant money, and money is tight right now so I won't be able to just go out and buy everything I need.  I'm sure most of you know these constraints.
    Anyway, here are some preliminary pictures of how the Osborne Executive looked before I tore into it's belly, ripped out it's guts, and basically was left with a shell of a once great system (in 1983 terms)...
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

    bigal, Nov 14, 2005

  2. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Turn it into a mobile command center. Pimp it out military style, throw in a lot of green lighting, make it a road warrior.

    The Modfather, Nov 14, 2005

  3. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    lol, make sure it has its own monitor :D

    unholy, Nov 14, 2005
  4. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I like those ideas....

    I hadn't thought about the color scheme, but green sounds good to me. I still have a few green Cooler Master LED fans, and I'll have to check on the green cold cathodes. I may need to order those.

    The internal monitor is a plan I want to implement, and that's the reason behind the motherboard I am looking at (Asus A8N-VM CSM, or something similar to that). I could use some help finding a decent but low priced LCD that is around 5.25" wide by 4.00" tall (or slightly larger). It must hook up to the VGA port, like a normal LCD. My machine will also run a PCI-e graphics card, ideally the Geforce 7800GT, with an Athlon 64 3800+ dual core CPU and 1GB of quality memory. I also want a single SATA hard drive with command queueing and the latest SATA-II spec, since this motherboard supports that.

    Any help / suggestions you guys have are appreciated, and links will make it easier for me to see what you have found. Remember, this will be built over the holidays, not right this minute. Money is tight, and it's always hard to justify building another computer....to my wife!

    bigal, Nov 15, 2005
  5. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    if u want a cheap 5" ur going to have to get the RCA/Tv in ones. and use the adapter on ur video card.

    though there are ways to get them to work with VGA. simalair to the PSOne to VGA mod. though u can also buy LCDs that are for cars and other things which has 8" Screens, and VGA.

    in the long run, get a D-Analog Convertor (no DVI interface is not the same output as a LCD digital interface) and buy a 5" or 4" lcd from a lcd seller like, www.earthLCD.com

    unholy, Nov 15, 2005
  6. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I'm going to need help with LCD panels...

    If you download the specification sheet for a 5.7" LCD panel here (http://earthlcd.com/zlcd/downloads/lm32019t.pdf), it shows a response time that's an order of magnitude too slow for computer use. I need something that would be somewhat usable as a Windows XP desktop. I think I need to see some actual implementations that others have done too.

    bigal, Nov 15, 2005
  7. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Yeah, there are no LCDs that are going to be that small and give you the quality you'd need for them to be of a lot of use. You're gonna have to jury rig something I think. Maybe you could mount a screen that flips down and use the small screen as a sort of oscilliscope to have it look like a piece of high tech equipment (retro style). That's been done before I know but you could put your own spin on it.

    How about this... It's a portible nuclear device, paint it with nuke symbols, with the green lighting, a bit of weather wearing on it, maybe rust look to it, put some top secret and classified lables on it etc... Add in some funky doohockies that don't do anything but make it look like a nuclear device, etc.

    The Modfather, Nov 15, 2005
  8. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Maybe...

    ...I could simulate a nuclear explosion analysis (like they do with those super computers at Sandia Labs) on the screen. Now that would be cool.....and nobody would mess with Bigal anymore.

    [​IMG]

    bigal, Nov 16, 2005
  9. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Yeah! That'd rock! Do that!

    And just for kicks, run SETI@Home on it. hehe. :)

    The Modfather, Nov 17, 2005
  10. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    hehe nuke case :D great idea :D, with the LCD u could have one. But they aren't going to be good enough for gaming that all. and maybe set u back 100-150 bucks.

    unholy, Nov 17, 2005
  11. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    If not more. Like I said the one I bought was closer to $250 (USD). It's the same one that Troy from CMG used on the Moby2 mod and several others have used it so it's fairly common. But I can't use it for anything except displaying larger things on it, otherwise you can't see text or anything really. The image is just, well, bad. Good for a little TV, which is what it's for, but nothing else.

    The Modfather, Nov 17, 2005
  12. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I'll be thinking about the internal display for a while...

    ....meanwhile, I did pick up that BFG Geforce 7800 GT card yesterday at Best Buy. That is destined for this machine, once I have the modded Osborne up and running. Today I ordered two more parts, after doing some research on what to select for the motherboard I want (Asus A8N-VM CSM). I bought a SataII Hitachi Deckstar T7K250 250GB drive with NCQ and 3.0GB/s interface (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822145087), and a Plextor PX-740A-BP-BL OEM IDE DVD burner (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827131354) at newegg. These were both decent deals, and I don't want all my parts purchases to be in December (big credit card hit), so that's why I'm buying some now when the opportunity presents itself.

    What do you guys think about this Zalman CNPS9500 LED cooler? It costs about $79 when shipping is factored in. That's the highest price I have seen for a CPU cooler, but it did get a "10" rating by Maximum PC in the Holiday 2005 issue.

    [​IMG]

    Hey, what do you guys think about this display device, which is a little small for the case opening, but I could make a frame for it.

    http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=293&products_id=3732

    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    Color 4" LCD Video Module (RCA Composite Video) - 12 Volt DC, cost's about $140 plus shipping / handling

    Last edited: Nov 18, 2005
    bigal, Nov 18, 2005
  13. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    That HSF is probably the best cooling solution short of liquid you're gonna find, shame it doesn't come with different colored LED options though. It definately kicks butt.

    Can't say about that display. If you can find one that fits better it'd probably be a good idea to get it but if not, well, I dunno.

    The Modfather, Nov 18, 2005
  14. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    Yer i am going to agree with Mod on that.

    The cooler is the one u want.

    but the lcd, first it has a odd res (383x234), second its not the right size for ur mod :|

    unholy, Nov 19, 2005
  15. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Is it just me or are any of you noticing that forums with new posts aren't being marked as such?

    The Modfather, Nov 19, 2005
  16. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    Yer we had the same problem with the old forums.

    Its think its because of seesion time outs. (i have no control over that unfortunately) i think its usally 5 minutes. so if u close the window, u will be on for 5 minutes. maybe we need a close button which logs u out :|

    unholy, Nov 20, 2005
  17. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    I usually set a forum to keep me logged in forever, that shouldn't be a cause for this. I'm having a similar problem on Infinity, the forums aren't showing the new posts icons, just the default ones for no new posts even when there are new ones.

    The Modfather, Nov 20, 2005
  18. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    hmmmm..... queries Large mind of thought. retreives no answer search took 0.52 seconds, unholys brain is doing a deep scan... be back in 5 minutes maybe i might know then :|

    unholy, Nov 21, 2005
  19. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Well, I fixed the prob on my site, I just scrapped the built in forums and used phpBB2, it'll do. :)

    Dunno what to say about these forums though, they seem to be working okay now.

    The Modfather, Nov 22, 2005
  20. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    u cant have more then 4 images. pfft i just saw a post with more then 4 images :p

    unholy, Nov 22, 2005