    Does anybody besides Canon and Nikon make long teles (500mm equiv)
    image stabilized lenses?

    Wally

    Wally, Oct 10, 2012

  2. Wally

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Wally
    <> wrote:

    > Long teles (approx 500mm or longer, 35 mm equiv) are needed for
    > wildlife photography. It is a big advantage to be able to hand hold.
    > And if you are going to hand hold, it is very helpful to have IS / VS.
    > Does anybody besides Canon and Nikon make long teles (500mm equiv)
    > image stabilized lenses?

    no, because other companies put stabilization in the camera.

    in-camera stabilization has the advantage of stabilizing all lenses,
    but unfortunately, it's less effective at longer focal lengths because
    of the amount the sensor must move to compensate.

    nospam, Oct 10, 2012

  3. Wally

    Pablo Guest

    Wally escribió:

    > Does anybody besides Canon and Nikon make long teles (500mm equiv)
    > image stabilized lenses?

    Yes (well, up to 400 anyway). But for Canon and Nikon bodies. I have a
    stabilised Sigma 120-400 with EOS fitting.

    --
    Pablo

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/wibbleypants/
    The below is a link to an ad for an apartment
    for rent. It may or may not be of interest to photographers.
    Follow the link at your peril.
    http://paulc.es/piso/index.php

    Pablo, Oct 10, 2012
  4. Wally

    DanP Guest

    Re: Long telephoto lenses with image stabilization -- anymanufacturers other than Canon and Nikon?

    On Wednesday, 10 October 2012 19:35:40 UTC+1, Wally wrote:
    > Long teles (approx 500mm or longer, 35 mm equiv) are needed for
    >
    > wildlife photography. It is a big advantage to be able to hand hold.
    >
    > And if you are going to hand hold, it is very helpful to have IS / VS.
    >
    > Does anybody besides Canon and Nikon make long teles (500mm equiv)
    >
    > image stabilized lenses?
    >

    > Wally

    Sigma does, look for OS (IS/VR equivalent), 50-500mm and 150-500mm, no prime though.

    DanP

    DanP, Oct 10, 2012
  5. Wally <> wrote:

    > Long teles (approx 500mm or longer, 35 mm equiv) are needed for
    > wildlife photography. It is a big advantage to be able to hand hold.
    > And if you are going to hand hold, it is very helpful to have IS / VS.
    > Does anybody besides Canon and Nikon make long teles (500mm equiv)
    > image stabilized lenses?

    You can have image stabilisation on non-stabilised lenses with cameras
    which offer in-camera stabilisation, e.g. Sony, Olympus, Pentax. My
    favourite long wild life lens is Sony's reflex 500mm, because it's
    very small and light (for a 500mm), and on a Sony camera has both
    autofocus and image stabilisation. I always use it with a monopod
    because even when the 'pod is folded up and not standing on anything,
    just its length and weight give extra stability, plus a good solid
    widely spaced two handed grip. I've got some good shots at 1/50th sec
    like that.

    --
    Chris Malcolm

    Chris Malcolm, Oct 11, 2012
  6. Wally

    David Taylor Guest

    On 10/10/2012 19:34, Wally wrote:
    > Long teles (approx 500mm or longer, 35 mm equiv) are needed for
    > wildlife photography. It is a big advantage to be able to hand hold.
    > And if you are going to hand hold, it is very helpful to have IS / VS.
    > Does anybody besides Canon and Nikon make long teles (500mm equiv)
    > image stabilized lenses?
    >
    > Wally

    Tamron - 400+ mm on DX/APS-C format cameras:

    http://lenshero.com/lens/Tamron-18-270mm-f3.5-6.3-Di-II-VC-LD-Macro-Nikon-f-lens

    Sigma - 375+ mm on DX/APS-C:
    http://lenshero.com/lens/Sigma-18-250mm-f3.5-6.3-DC-OS-HSM-Nikon-f-lens

    Sigma 150 - 500 mm (225 - 750 mm equivalent on DX)
    http://www.sigmaphoto.com/shop/150-500mm-f5-63-apo-dg-os-hsm-sigma

    All have image stabilisation, which is a major advantage as the image in
    the viewfinder (and on the focus and exposure) sensors is kept stable,
    unlike cameras with in-body IS/VR which does nothing for the optical
    viewfinder image making it more difficult to use the extreme focal
    lengths in non-deal weather conditions.
    --
    Cheers,
    David

    David Taylor, Oct 11, 2012
  7. Wally

    Don Wiss Guest

    On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 12:34:02 -0600, Wally <> wrote:

    >Long teles (approx 500mm or longer, 35 mm equiv) are needed for
    >wildlife photography. It is a big advantage to be able to hand hold.
    >And if you are going to hand hold, it is very helpful to have IS / VS.
    >Does anybody besides Canon and Nikon make long teles (500mm equiv)
    >image stabilized lenses?

    You have not specified what lens mount. Panasonic in their m4/3 cameras has
    the stabilization in the lenses. Their 100-300mm lens is equivalent to
    200-600mm. It only weighs 520g. Panasonic's new GH3 body weighs 540g.
    That's a total of 2.33 lbs for 600mm. You can do it for less weight, if you
    are willing to settle for a lesser body.

    Don. www.donwiss.com/pictures/ (e-mail link at page bottoms).

    Don Wiss, Oct 14, 2012
  8. Wally

    Bruce Guest

    Don Wiss <donwiss@no_spam.com> wrote:

    >On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 12:34:02 -0600, Wally <> wrote:
    >
    >>Long teles (approx 500mm or longer, 35 mm equiv) are needed for
    >>wildlife photography. It is a big advantage to be able to hand hold.
    >>And if you are going to hand hold, it is very helpful to have IS / VS.
    >>Does anybody besides Canon and Nikon make long teles (500mm equiv)
    >>image stabilized lenses?

    >You have not specified what lens mount. Panasonic in their m4/3 cameras has
    >the stabilization in the lenses. Their 100-300mm lens is equivalent to
    >200-600mm. It only weighs 520g. Panasonic's new GH3 body weighs 540g.
    >That's a total of 2.33 lbs for 600mm. You can do it for less weight, if you
    >are willing to settle for a lesser body.
    >
    >Don. www.donwiss.com/pictures/ (e-mail link at page bottoms).

    You clearly don't do wildlife photography, as your web site confirms.
    The m4/3 system is effectively useless when it comes to wildlife
    photography because the contrast detect AF systems used in all m4/3
    cameras to date do not allow continuous AF to be effective. The
    latest m4/3 cameras have particularly fast and decisive single shot AF
    but good continuous AF is something that eludes m4/3 at this time.

    I don't think Olympus OM-D E-M5 owners would be happy with your
    implication that theirs are lesser bodies than the Panasonic GH3. On
    the contrary, for stills photography, the GH3 still lags behind the
    Olympus OM-D E-M5.

    It is sad that there seems to be developing an Olympus/Panasonic
    schism in m4/3 that seems destined to go the way of Nikon/Canon
    rivalry in DSLRs.

    Bruce, Oct 14, 2012
  9. Wally

    Paul Ciszek Guest

    In article <>,
    Bruce <> wrote:

    >It is sad that there seems to be developing an Olympus/Panasonic
    >schism in m4/3 that seems destined to go the way of Nikon/Canon
    >rivalry in DSLRs.

    Over on the OM-D Flickr groups, people rave about the "Panaleica"
    25mm lens--which, since it doesn't have image stabilization, is best
    used on a camera body that does. So, there is fraternization with
    the enemy.

    --
    Money is Speech
    Corporations are People

    Paul Ciszek, Oct 16, 2012
  10. Wally

    PeterN Guest

    On 10/14/2012 2:42 AM, Bruce wrote:
    > Don Wiss <donwiss@no_spam.com> wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 12:34:02 -0600, Wally <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Long teles (approx 500mm or longer, 35 mm equiv) are needed for
    >>> wildlife photography. It is a big advantage to be able to hand hold.
    >>> And if you are going to hand hold, it is very helpful to have IS / VS.
    >>> Does anybody besides Canon and Nikon make long teles (500mm equiv)
    >>> image stabilized lenses?

    >> You have not specified what lens mount. Panasonic in their m4/3 cameras has
    >> the stabilization in the lenses. Their 100-300mm lens is equivalent to
    >> 200-600mm. It only weighs 520g. Panasonic's new GH3 body weighs 540g.
    >> That's a total of 2.33 lbs for 600mm. You can do it for less weight, if you
    >> are willing to settle for a lesser body.
    >>
    >> Don. www.donwiss.com/pictures/ (e-mail link at page bottoms).

    > You clearly don't do wildlife photography, as your web site confirms.
    > The m4/3 system is effectively useless when it comes to wildlife
    > photography because the contrast detect AF systems used in all m4/3
    > cameras to date do not allow continuous AF to be effective. The
    > latest m4/3 cameras have particularly fast and decisive single shot AF
    > but good continuous AF is something that eludes m4/3 at this time.
    >
    > I don't think Olympus OM-D E-M5 owners would be happy with your
    > implication that theirs are lesser bodies than the Panasonic GH3. On
    > the contrary, for stills photography, the GH3 still lags behind the
    > Olympus OM-D E-M5.
    >
    > It is sad that there seems to be developing an Olympus/Panasonic
    > schism in m4/3 that seems destined to go the way of Nikon/Canon
    > rivalry in DSLRs.

    The above message was sent by a noted wildlife photographer, who deems
    us not worthy of seeing his images.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Oct 20, 2012