    Is there any way to have a quick shutdown?
    Thanks for your input.

    Varun

    chin, Nov 24, 2003

  2. chin

    EDI Guest

    EDI, Nov 24, 2003

  3. chin

    hootnholler Guest

    Hey Chin,

    Edi has a nice link there, but another way, if you are so inclined...

    Do the 3 finger salute (ctrl+alt+del), and turn off some of the extra
    processes, mainly your .exe programs. Then, shutdown. If you notice a
    dramatic increase in speed, you found your problem child. Usually, this is
    one of the programs down by the clock, so you can do an msconfig and try
    that route, also.

    Usually, on a shutdown, the information in the ram is being written to the
    hard drive to make sure it doesn't lose any info. Probably some rogue
    program hanging up the process, usually one that you deleted, but still has
    some garbage floating around. Plus, you may wish to scan your registry for
    any issues. If you don't do manually, I like the one from jv16.org (but
    hate that they charge for it now, I'm cheap), or search for regclean on
    google. It's worth a shot.

    Hoot

    hootnholler, Nov 24, 2003
  4. chin

    chin Guest

    Thanks for yur answers.
    Unfortunately the link takes me to some Zip Tracker download page, hence
    cannot try the shutdown utility. But I will try the alternative solutions u
    hinted.
    Thanks again

    Chin

    chin, Nov 25, 2003