    Where can I get really really long sata cables locally. They dont need to glow
    or have fancy metal sleeving, but if thats the only way to get decent length,
    then I guess I would buy those type.

    Richard, Feb 8, 2006

  2. Richard wrote:
    > Where can I get really really long sata cables locally. They dont need
    > to glow or have fancy metal sleeving, but if thats the only way to get
    > decent length, then I guess I would buy those type.

    What do you mean by really, really long? 1m is the maximum length
    defined by the standard. Going to that length or beyond is just asking
    for data transfer problems.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Feb 8, 2006

  3. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    > Richard wrote:
    >
    >> Where can I get really really long sata cables locally. They dont need
    >> to glow or have fancy metal sleeving, but if thats the only way to get
    >> decent length, then I guess I would buy those type.

    > What do you mean by really, really long? 1m is the maximum length
    > defined by the standard. Going to that length or beyond is just asking
    > for data transfer problems.

    More then the 50cm that is all you seem to get at any of the places I have
    looked at so far. I am guessing that the 1 meter "limit" is similar to the 450mm
    one that pata had which was routiney ignored without any problems so perhaps a
    1.2m or so would be good.

    I am having to put more HDDs into another case and have cables between them, and
    I want to move them so longer cables are needed.

    Richard, Feb 8, 2006
  4. Richard

    Steve Guest

    On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 18:09:26 +1300, Richard wrote:

    > Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    >> Richard wrote:
    >>
    >>> Where can I get really really long sata cables locally. They dont need
    >>> to glow or have fancy metal sleeving, but if thats the only way to get
    >>> decent length, then I guess I would buy those type.

    >> What do you mean by really, really long? 1m is the maximum length
    >> defined by the standard. Going to that length or beyond is just asking
    >> for data transfer problems.

    > More then the 50cm that is all you seem to get at any of the places I have
    > looked at so far. I am guessing that the 1 meter "limit" is similar to the 450mm
    > one that pata had which was routiney ignored without any problems so perhaps a
    > 1.2m or so would be good.
    >
    > I am having to put more HDDs into another case and have cables between them, and
    > I want to move them so longer cables are needed.

    Now that's something I really wouldn't do! I'd get the cheapest supported
    m/b with gigabit lan, and use http://www.freenas.org/ to build it up.

    Much tidier, versatile, easier to back up.....

    My $0.02,

    Steve

    Steve, Feb 8, 2006
  5. Richard

    Rob J Guest

    In article <43e97f5c$>, says...
    > Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    > > Richard wrote:
    > >
    > >> Where can I get really really long sata cables locally. They dont need
    > >> to glow or have fancy metal sleeving, but if thats the only way to get
    > >> decent length, then I guess I would buy those type.

    > > What do you mean by really, really long? 1m is the maximum length
    > > defined by the standard. Going to that length or beyond is just asking
    > > for data transfer problems.

    > More then the 50cm that is all you seem to get at any of the places I have
    > looked at so far. I am guessing that the 1 meter "limit" is similar to the 450mm
    > one that pata had which was routiney ignored without any problems so perhaps a
    > 1.2m or so would be good.
    >
    > I am having to put more HDDs into another case and have cables between them, and
    > I want to move them so longer cables are needed.

    eSata supports longer cables, up to 2 metres.

    Rob J, Feb 8, 2006
  6. Richard

    MarkH Guest

    Richard <> wrote in news:43e97f5c$:

    > Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    >> Richard wrote:
    >>
    >>> Where can I get really really long sata cables locally. They dont
    >>> need to glow or have fancy metal sleeving, but if thats the only way
    >>> to get decent length, then I guess I would buy those type.

    >> What do you mean by really, really long? 1m is the maximum length
    >> defined by the standard. Going to that length or beyond is just
    >> asking for data transfer problems.

    > More then the 50cm that is all you seem to get at any of the places I
    > have looked at so far. I am guessing that the 1 meter "limit" is
    > similar to the 450mm one that pata had which was routiney ignored
    > without any problems so perhaps a 1.2m or so would be good.
    >
    > I am having to put more HDDs into another case and have cables between
    > them, and I want to move them so longer cables are needed.

    Why don't you just get a better case?

    http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=CASCLM11567

    I can fit up to 12 HDDs in mine and can get power from 2 PSUs if necessary.
    I only have 6 HDDs and one PSU, but I could fit more if I needed to.

    The standard SATA cables tend to reach easily enough too because of the
    case layout.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Feb 8, 2006
  7. Ascent Technology stock 0.9m SATA cables supplied by OverclockersNZ.

    http://www.ascent.co.nz/HardwareCategory.aspx?catname=Cables

    In article <43e97f5c$>, says...

    Peter McCallum, Feb 9, 2006