Long, regarding a "lost" COM port

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by smackedass, Feb 5, 2007.

  1. smackedass

    smackedass Guest

    Hello again,

    I just got done doing an online chat with HP, regarding the absence of a COM
    port on an HP Pavillion A730N, running Windows XP SP2. What prompted the
    customer to call me was the inability to use dial-up. Here is my original
    post to HP:

    Hello, My customer has an HP Pavillion a 730 n. It runs Windows XP Home
    Edition Service Pack 2. Recently they've been unable to establish a dial up
    connection.

    What I have done:

    1) checked the phone line: OK

    2) tried a different modem: did not solve problem

    3) tried the original modem in different PCI slot: did not solve problem

    Also, my customer attempted to perform a System Restore, to a point previous
    to the point when the problem arose.

    In Device Manager, under Ports (COM and LPT), there are no COM ports listed.
    I attempted to install a COM port, through the Add New Hardware Wizard, and
    the COM port did install, but a yellow exclamation point appeared next to
    it, in Device Manager.
    I attempted to update the driver, first from an automatic search through the
    C: drive, this did not solve the problem. I then inserted a Windows XP Home
    Edition disk into the CD drive; I couldn't find a driver on the CD, either.

    I also checked the BIOS, it is version 3.06. I did not find any listing for
    a COM port in the BIOS, but I did find one for an LPT port. I will make a
    guess that there ought to be the possibility of a virtual COM port somewhere
    in the BIOS, or the operating system, or both, but none appear to exist, at
    least, not correctly configured.

    Can you help me? I need to know how to correctly establish a communications
    port.

    Thank you.

    Ken Newton
    Proprietor, Kema Computer Consulting
    P.O. Box 791
    Harwich Port, MA 02646

    We "chatted" for a while, and the technician advised me that the best thing
    to do is a "non-destructive" re-install, i.e., data will not be lost, but
    problem will be solved. Run from the Recovery Partition.

    Don't think for a second that I'm not going to back up all data, and then
    prepare for the worst. But, does anyone out there know of a less invasive
    solution?

    Thanks, in advance.

    smackedass

    smackedass, Feb 5, 2007

  2. smackedass

    me Guest

    me, Feb 5, 2007

  3. Weird. Usually when I see what you do the com/serial ports have been
    disabled in CMOS though you say you can not find any such setting. Maybe it
    would help to configure CMOS to use default settings if that option exists
    to see what happens. Also check the CMOS option for is the operating system
    plug and play capable if that exists.

    Steve

    Steven L Umbach, Feb 5, 2007
  4. smackedass

    Patrick Q Guest

    "Steven L Umbach" <> wrote in message
    > Weird. Usually when I see what you do the com/serial ports have been
    > disabled in CMOS though you say you can not find any such setting. Maybe
    > it would help to configure CMOS to use default settings if that option
    > exists to see what happens. Also check the CMOS option for is the
    > operating system plug and play capable if that exists.
    >
    > Steve
    >

    > "smackedass" <> wrote in message
    >> Hello again,
    >>
    >> I just got done doing an online chat with HP, regarding the absence of a
    >> COM port on an HP Pavillion A730N, running Windows XP SP2. What prompted
    >> the customer to call me was the inability to use dial-up. Here is my
    >> original post to HP:

    >> Hello, My customer has an HP Pavillion a 730 n. It runs Windows XP Home
    >> Edition Service Pack 2. Recently they've been unable to establish a dial
    >> up connection.
    >>
    >> What I have done:
    >>
    >> 1) checked the phone line: OK
    >>
    >> 2) tried a different modem: did not solve problem
    >>
    >> 3) tried the original modem in different PCI slot: did not solve problem
    >>
    >> Also, my customer attempted to perform a System Restore, to a point
    >> previous to the point when the problem arose.
    >>
    >> In Device Manager, under Ports (COM and LPT), there are no COM ports
    >> listed. I attempted to install a COM port, through the Add New Hardware
    >> Wizard, and the COM port did install, but a yellow exclamation point
    >> appeared next to it, in Device Manager.
    >> I attempted to update the driver, first from an automatic search through
    >> the C: drive, this did not solve the problem. I then inserted a Windows
    >> XP Home Edition disk into the CD drive; I couldn't find a driver on the
    >> CD, either.
    >>
    >> I also checked the BIOS, it is version 3.06. I did not find any listing
    >> for a COM port in the BIOS, but I did find one for an LPT port. I will
    >> make a guess that there ought to be the possibility of a virtual COM port
    >> somewhere in the BIOS, or the operating system, or both, but none appear
    >> to exist, at least, not correctly configured.
    >>
    >> Can you help me? I need to know how to correctly establish a
    >> communications port.
    >>
    >> Thank you.
    >>
    >> Ken Newton
    >> Proprietor, Kema Computer Consulting
    >> P.O. Box 791
    >> Harwich Port, MA 02646

    >> We "chatted" for a while, and the technician advised me that the best
    >> thing to do is a "non-destructive" re-install, i.e., data will not be
    >> lost, but problem will be solved. Run from the Recovery Partition.
    >>
    >> Don't think for a second that I'm not going to back up all data, and then
    >> prepare for the worst. But, does anyone out there know of a less
    >> invasive solution?
    >>
    >> Thanks, in advance.
    >>
    >> smackedass

    Some customer of mine had the same thing with the modem.... He had just
    gotten it home from Best Buy, so I told him to march it right back and make
    them fix it.

    :)

    The switched ports or something, anyway, it works.

    Pat

    Patrick Q, Feb 5, 2007
  5. smackedass

    smackedass Guest

    > If you can't get the com ports to work, how about using a USB
    > external modem?

    That's a possibility, but I'm concerned about fixing the actual problem.
    Why these things just dis-configure on their own, is a mystery to me.

    Glad to hear you survived the storm, Michael.

    sa

    smackedass, Feb 5, 2007