long range outdoor wireless setup

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by JR, Jul 1, 2004.

  1. JR

    JR Guest

    First of all, what you're trying to do is illegal....
    But, then again, here's how I would go about it:

    Setup a Wifi AP on the office site, using MAC filtering,
    WEP/WPA and connect it to a 9 element yagi antenna.
    Point it to the location where you have line of sight
    with all other locations. In this common place, install a
    Wifi repeater using the same type a 9 element yagi
    antenna's pointing towards the two houses.
    You may have to use yagi antenna's in the houses as well
    depending on this distance from the "common" point.
    That should take care of the RF side of the story.
    Isn't it better/easier to have DSL installed in all three
    places and share files that way ?

    two other houses. These three points do not see each
    other clearly. there is a 20m high hill between them.
    First I want to ask if it is possible to broadcast a
    wireless signal to a radius of 3-4km and catch that
    signal without seeing eachother?

    >For the second question I'll try to demonstrate the

    topography :

    >Because of the hill, office can not be seen clearly from

    homes. Even homes do not see each other. But there is a
    fourth point seeing all of them clearly. Is it possible
    to connect three points via the other point. And is this
    range is too far for a wireless connection between these
    nodes? If it is possible what amount of bandwidth should
    I expect from such a network.

    JR, Jul 1, 2004