    and months but I lost the details when my PC got rebuilt.

    Thanks in advance for advice.
    Jo

    Mrs Beeble Brock, Jan 29, 2005

  2. Mrs Beeble Brock

    thing Guest

    Mrs Beeble Brock wrote:
    > Hi folks, can anyone recommend a news server that keeps posts for a
    > month or so? I subscribe to a font sharing newsgroup and a couple of
    > posts I want have already been taken off Xtra's server as well as a
    > couple of other servers that I've tried.
    >
    > There used to be a French university server that kept posts for months
    > and months but I lost the details when my PC got rebuilt.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for advice.
    > Jo

    What are the news groups?

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Jan 29, 2005

  3. Mrs Beeble Brock

    Peter Guest

    Peter, Jan 29, 2005
  4. thing wrote:
    > Mrs Beeble Brock wrote:
    >
    >> Hi folks, can anyone recommend a news server that keeps posts for a
    >> month or so? I subscribe to a font sharing newsgroup and a couple of
    >> posts I want have already been taken off Xtra's server as well as a
    >> couple of other servers that I've tried.
    >>
    >> There used to be a French university server that kept posts for months
    >> and months but I lost the details when my PC got rebuilt.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance for advice.
    >> Jo

    > What are the news groups?
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    alt.binaries.fonts is the one I am trying to access. I have posted this
    request there also but the regulars are on their northern hemisphere
    weekend until Tuesday our time.

    Mrs Beeble Brock, Jan 29, 2005
  5. Peter wrote:

    > Mrs Beeble Brock wrote:
    >
    >>Hi folks, can anyone recommend a news server that keeps posts for a
    >>month or so? I subscribe to a font sharing newsgroup and a couple of
    >>posts I want have already been taken off Xtra's server as well as a
    >>couple of other servers that I've tried.

    > If you want to access old usenet posts, why not use google?
    > http://groups.google.co.nz/groups?q=font
    >
    > or even ...
    > http://groups.google.co.nz/groups?safe=images&as_ugroup=*font*&lr=&hl=en
    >

    > HTH
    >
    > Peter

    Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I have never been able to get
    alt.binaries.fonts posts through Google groups for some reason.

    Mrs Beeble Brock, Jan 29, 2005
  6. Mrs Beeble Brock said the following on 30/01/2005 11:49 a.m.:
    > Peter wrote:
    >
    >> Mrs Beeble Brock wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi folks, can anyone recommend a news server that keeps posts for a
    >>> month or so? I subscribe to a font sharing newsgroup and a couple of
    >>> posts I want have already been taken off Xtra's server as well as a
    >>> couple of other servers that I've tried.

    >> If you want to access old usenet posts, why not use google?
    >> http://groups.google.co.nz/groups?q=font
    >>
    >> or even ...
    >> http://groups.google.co.nz/groups?safe=images&as_ugroup=*font*&lr=&hl=en
    >>

    >> HTH
    >>
    >> Peter
    >>

    > Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I have never been able to get
    > alt.binaries.fonts posts through Google groups for some reason.

    Binaries (as in the mime encoded attachments) are not on Google also
    most News Servers only keep binary articles for a short time due to
    storage space requirements.
    I have just checked Orcons current server and it has the group and posts
    appear to be complete back to 21 Jan only.

    Was it a particular font post that you where after, I have a very large
    font collection and may already have it?

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |

    Collector»NZ, Jan 29, 2005
  7. Thanks for the explanation and kind offer. I've managed to get pretty
    much everything now so am fine font-wise.
    Cheers,
    Jo

    Mrs Beeble Brock, Jan 29, 2005
  8. Mrs Beeble Brock

    Adder Guest

    In article <1yTKd.12849$> in nz.comp on Sun,
    30 Jan 2005 10:49:50 +1300, Mrs Beeble Brock <>
    says...
    > Hi folks, can anyone recommend a news server that keeps posts for a
    > month or so? I subscribe to a font sharing newsgroup and a couple of
    > posts I want have already been taken off Xtra's server as well as a
    > couple of other servers that I've tried.
    >
    > There used to be a French university server that kept posts for months
    > and months but I lost the details when my PC got rebuilt.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for advice.

    You shouldnt expect a binary group to have any degree of reliability at
    all
    binary groups consume huge bandwidth
    and of course there are copyright issues with any stuff people share

    Adder, Jan 30, 2005
  9. On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 12:33:43 +1300, Collector»NZ <>
    wrote:

    >Mrs Beeble Brock said the following on 30/01/2005 11:49 a.m.:
    >> Peter wrote:

    >>> If you want to access old usenet posts, why not use google?
    >>> http://groups.google.co.nz/groups?q=font
    >>>
    >>> or even ...
    >>> http://groups.google.co.nz/groups?safe=images&as_ugroup=*font*&lr=&hl=en
    >>>

    >>> HTH
    >>>
    >>> Peter
    >>>

    >> Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I have never been able to get
    >> alt.binaries.fonts posts through Google groups for some reason.

    >Binaries (as in the mime encoded attachments) are not on Google also
    >most News Servers only keep binary articles for a short time due to
    >storage space requirements.
    >I have just checked Orcons current server and it has the group and posts
    >appear to be complete back to 21 Jan only.
    >
    >Was it a particular font post that you where after, I have a very large
    >font collection and may already have it?

    Try Easynews, most and if not all Free News Servers don't carry Binaries..

    BIG Bear @bearcat.com.au, Jan 30, 2005
  10. On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 12:33:43 +1300, Collector»NZ <>
    wrote:

    >Mrs Beeble Brock said the following on 30/01/2005 11:49 a.m.:
    >> Peter wrote:

    >>> If you want to access old usenet posts, why not use google?
    >>> http://groups.google.co.nz/groups?q=font
    >>>
    >>> or even ...
    >>> http://groups.google.co.nz/groups?safe=images&as_ugroup=*font*&lr=&hl=en
    >>>

    >>> HTH
    >>>
    >>> Peter
    >>>

    >> Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I have never been able to get
    >> alt.binaries.fonts posts through Google groups for some reason.

    >Binaries (as in the mime encoded attachments) are not on Google also
    >most News Servers only keep binary articles for a short time due to
    >storage space requirements.
    >I have just checked Orcons current server and it has the group and posts
    >appear to be complete back to 21 Jan only.
    >
    >Was it a particular font post that you where after, I have a very large
    >font collection and may already have it?

    Try Easynews, most and if not all Free News Servers don't carry Binaries..

    Just checked, goes back to the 18/12/04

    BIG Bear @bearcat.com.au, Jan 30, 2005
  11. Mrs Beeble Brock

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Mrs Beeble Brock wrote:
    > Peter wrote:
    >
    >> Mrs Beeble Brock wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi folks, can anyone recommend a news server that keeps posts for a
    >>> month or so? I subscribe to a font sharing newsgroup and a couple of
    >>> posts I want have already been taken off Xtra's server as well as a
    >>> couple of other servers that I've tried.

    >> If you want to access old usenet posts, why not use google?
    >> http://groups.google.co.nz/groups?q=font
    >>
    >> or even ...
    >> http://groups.google.co.nz/groups?safe=images&as_ugroup=*font*&lr=&hl=en
    >>

    >> HTH
    >>
    >> Peter
    >>

    > Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I have never been able to get
    > alt.binaries.fonts posts through Google groups for some reason.

    That could be because Google (like Deja before it) doesn't archive binaries.
    Can you imagine the space required?
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jan 30, 2005
  12. Mrs Beeble Brock

    Kookaburra Guest

    Kookaburra, Jan 30, 2005
  13. Mrs Beeble Brock, Jan 30, 2005
  14. Mrs Beeble Brock

    steve Guest

    Mrs Beeble Brock wrote:
    > Hi folks, can anyone recommend a news server that keeps posts for a
    > month or so? I subscribe to a font sharing newsgroup and a couple of
    > posts I want have already been taken off Xtra's server as well as a
    > couple of other servers that I've tried.

    Download the posts (as though for offline reading) and set your local
    expiry to something longer than 30 days.

    Much easier and simpler than searching the world for a server (Google
    Groups?) who keeps old stuff for ages.

    steve, Feb 1, 2005