    longer), is this a sign that the IDE controller is not long for this
    world?

    Dave

    Dave Hardenbrook, May 10, 2007

  2. Dave Hardenbrook

    Gerard Bok Guest

    On Thu, 10 May 2007 19:02:01 GMT, Dave Hardenbrook
    <> wrote:

    >If at POST it takes a long time to detect the IDE devices (30 sec. or
    >longer), is this a sign that the IDE controller is not long for this
    >world?

    Or one of the drives is POSTing it's imminent dismissal :)

    The answer is S.M.A.R.T.
    The drive is gonne tell you if its failing, the controller won't.

    --
    Kind regards,
    Gerard Bok

    Gerard Bok, May 10, 2007

  3. Dave Hardenbrook

    Guest

    On 5月11日, 午前4:02, Dave Hardenbrook <>
    wrote:
    > If at POST it takes a long time to detect the IDE devices (30 sec. or
    > longer), is this a sign that the IDE controller is not long for this
    > world?
    >
    > Dave

    It may just be how your POST handles the device load up and display of
    information.
    Check BIOS settings for anything that might turn off extended bootup.
    Sometimes this setting exists and
    people dont know its on.

    Jon
    www.jonbarton.net

    , May 17, 2007
  4. Dave Hardenbrook

    Your name Guest

    "" <> wrote in

    > On 5月11日, 午前4:02, Dave Hardenbrook
    > <> wrote:
    >> If at POST it takes a long time to detect the IDE devices (30 sec. or
    >> longer), is this a sign that the IDE controller is not long for this
    >> world?
    >>
    >> Dave

    > It may just be how your POST handles the device load up and display of
    > information.
    > Check BIOS settings for anything that might turn off extended bootup.
    > Sometimes this setting exists and
    > people dont know its on.
    >
    > Jon
    > www.jonbarton.net

    Play with the master/slave jumper or take it completely off, that is what
    cured my long ide detection time.

    Your name, Jun 24, 2007
  5. Dave Hardenbrook wrote:
    > If at POST it takes a long time to detect the IDE devices (30 sec. or
    > longer), is this a sign that the IDE controller is not long for this
    > world?

    Not necessarily. What it usually means is that you have an IDE device
    set for master and there is no slave device on that IDE channel.

    Check the documentation for that device as well as the physical cabling
    configuration and look to see if there is a "stand alone" or "master
    with no slave" option.

    The motherboard is trying to autodetect the device(s) on the IDE
    channel. If the master is optioned as if there is supposed to be a slave
    present, the IDE controller will keep looking fir the slave until it
    finally times out and moves on.

    John
    --
    John Dearing