    I tried formatting another USB memory device to fat32 and the same
    thing happened. What do I have to do to get long filenames working on
    2003 server?
    Richard, Nov 8, 2004

  2. Richard wrote:
    > but on 2003 server I get told that the drive doesnt support long
    > filenames when copying onto it and everything gets renamed to silly 8
    > char filenames.
    > However I can see long filenames on the player that were copied on
    > another computer

    do you mean you can see the files(as in using explorer), or you can see
    the file names on the MP3 player.
    Could it be that you are just seeing the ID3 tags?

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 8, 2004

  3. Richard

    Richard Guest

    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Richard wrote:
    > > but on 2003 server I get told that the drive doesnt support long
    > > filenames when copying onto it and everything gets renamed to silly 8
    > > char filenames.
    > > However I can see long filenames on the player that were copied on
    > > another computer

    > do you mean you can see the files(as in using explorer), or you can see
    > the file names on the MP3 player.
    > Could it be that you are just seeing the ID3 tags?

    I can see the files copied on another computer in windows explorer
    with there full file names, its just when trying to write files or
    rename them on the 2003 machine that it tells me the drive doesnt
    support long filenames.

    I cant format it fat32 on the 2003 machine, it will only let me choose
    NTFS as a file system.
    Richard, Nov 9, 2004
  4. Richard wrote:
    > I can see the files copied on another computer in windows explorer
    > with there full file names, its just when trying to write files or
    > rename them on the 2003 machine that it tells me the drive doesnt
    > support long filenames.

    > I cant format it fat32 on the 2003 machine, it will only let me choose
    > NTFS as a file system.

    This is probly going to be taken the wrong way, but why is an MP3 player
    being plugged into a server?
    surely your not using a server OS for day to day use?

    Personally I'd just use another machine, one with a non-server OS.
    Is the MP3 player just detected as a USB storage device, or do drivers
    have to be loaded?
    did it come with drivers?
    is it supported under 2k3 according to the manufacturer?

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 9, 2004
  5. Richard

    Dave Taylor Guest

    (Richard) wrote in

    > "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in message
    >> Richard wrote:
    >> > but on 2003 server I get told that the drive doesnt support long
    >> > filenames when copying onto it and everything gets renamed to silly
    >> > 8 char filenames.
    >> > However I can see long filenames on the player that were copied on
    >> > another computer

    >> do you mean you can see the files(as in using explorer), or you can
    >> see the file names on the MP3 player.
    >> Could it be that you are just seeing the ID3 tags?

    > I can see the files copied on another computer in windows explorer
    > with there full file names, its just when trying to write files or
    > rename them on the 2003 machine that it tells me the drive doesnt
    > support long filenames.
    >
    > I cant format it fat32 on the 2003 machine, it will only let me choose
    > NTFS as a file system.

    Fat32 is deprecated in Windows 2003, you can probably find the policy and
    enable the lagacy fat32 support, but WHY? I wouldn't do it.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Nov 9, 2004
  6. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Richard wrote:
    >
    >> I can see the files copied on another computer in windows explorer
    >> with there full file names, its just when trying to write files or
    >> rename them on the 2003 machine that it tells me the drive doesnt
    >> support long filenames.

    >> I cant format it fat32 on the 2003 machine, it will only let me choose
    >> NTFS as a file system.

    > This is probly going to be taken the wrong way, but why is an MP3 player
    > being plugged into a server?
    > surely your not using a server OS for day to day use?

    Server 2003 has raid 5, the machine with the MP3s on it is running it, Its slow

    > Personally I'd just use another machine, one with a non-server OS.
    > Is the MP3 player just detected as a USB storage device, or do drivers
    > have to be loaded?
    > did it come with drivers?
    > is it supported under 2k3 according to the manufacturer?

    USB storage device thats formatted fat32, its no stinky ipod with itunes
    Richard, Nov 9, 2004
  7. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Dave Taylor wrote:

    > Fat32 is deprecated in Windows 2003, you can probably find the policy and
    > enable the lagacy fat32 support, but WHY? I wouldn't do it.

    Well navigating directorys called YellowCa and TheDonna and U2HowToD is somewhat
    annoying.

    I have already had to enable the legacy support for my printer, and I cant
    really see what the loss would be enabling this.. Off to find it now...
    Richard, Nov 9, 2004
  8. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Richard wrote:

    > Dave Taylor wrote:
    >
    >> Fat32 is deprecated in Windows 2003, you can probably find the policy
    >> and enable the lagacy fat32 support, but WHY? I wouldn't do it.

    > Well navigating directorys called YellowCa and TheDonna and U2HowToD is
    > somewhat annoying.
    >
    > I have already had to enable the legacy support for my printer, and I
    > cant really see what the loss would be enabling this.. Off to find it
    > now...

    Actually, after reformatting it in windows 2000, it is now working as it should.
    Richard, Nov 9, 2004
  9. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Richard wrote:

    > Actually, after reformatting it in windows 2000, it is now working as it
    > should.

    Spoke too soon, worked the first time I plugged it in, played the songs, and now
    its telling me it doesnt support long file names or ones with spaces again...argh
    Richard, Nov 9, 2004
  10. Richard wrote:
    > Server 2003 has raid 5, the machine with the MP3s on it is running it,
    > Its slow loading over the lan as I dont have gigabit.

    sorry, I dont have any suggestions other than use another machine.

    USB or USB2?

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 9, 2004
  11. Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 9, 2004
  12. In article <> in nz.comp on Wed, 10 Nov 2004
    08:28:08 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz <> says...
    > Richard wrote:
    > > Actually, after reformatting it in windows 2000, it is now working as it
    > > should.

    > maybe you had formatted it as FAT rather than FAT32 initially?

    Is this a non MS device, the FAT extensions to long filenames are
    patented and not freely available to third party suppliers.
    Patrick Dunford, Nov 9, 2004
  13. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Patrick Dunford wrote:

    > In article <> in nz.comp on Wed, 10 Nov 2004
    > 08:28:08 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz <> says...
    >
    >>Richard wrote:
    >>
    >>>Actually, after reformatting it in windows 2000, it is now working as it
    >>>should.

    >>maybe you had formatted it as FAT rather than FAT32 initially?

    > Is this a non MS device, the FAT extensions to long filenames are
    > patented and not freely available to third party suppliers.

    Actually, I have found that copying in a command prompt works fine, and turning
    the folder list on to the side of windows explorer and dropping things into the
    folder in the _same_ window works, but when dropping into a different window, it
    gives the error. Totally baffeling,
    Richard, Nov 10, 2004
  14. Richard

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Richard <> wrote in news:4191cc9e_3@127.0.0.1:

    > Actually, I have found that copying in a command prompt works fine,
    > and turning the folder list on to the side of windows explorer and
    > dropping things into the folder in the _same_ window works, but when
    > dropping into a different window, it gives the error. Totally
    > baffeling,

    That is a cool bug, you should report it.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Nov 15, 2004