    errors when I try to unpack them, and the original files on my colleague's
    computer are long gone.

    Is there a good utility which might help solve this conundrum?

    Trent SC, Feb 12, 2006

  2. Trent SC

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 13:51:12 -0000, Trent SC wrote:

    >(Running XP Pro SP2)

    Nice, the OS.

    Not so nice, no mention of WinRAR / WinZip versions.

    IIRC WinRAR had a bug fix in v3.5.1 for file/paths of 1024 chars.

    See the rarlabs site, RTFM as usual.

    >A colleague has sent me a large archive file with multiple folders
    >containing MP3 file, and both the folders and filenames (and, I think, the
    >tags themselves) are unfeasibly long. WinRar and Winzip are throwing up

    So what was used to archive them, use the same thing to extract.

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Feb 12, 2006

  3. Trent SC

    marful Guest

    "Trent SC" <> wrote in message
    > (Running XP Pro SP2)
    > A colleague has sent me a large archive file with multiple folders
    > containing MP3 file, and both the folders and filenames (and, I think, the
    > tags themselves) are unfeasibly long. WinRar and Winzip are throwing up
    > errors when I try to unpack them, and the original files on my colleague's
    > computer are long gone.
    >
    > Is there a good utility which might help solve this conundrum?

    You can download an extension for winzip called LAR, i think it's Long
    archive recognition or something like that. It is an update to winzip
    drivers which recognises the longer filenames. I can't quite recall whether
    it's available from winzip but if you google Winzip and LAR you should find
    it.

    marful, Feb 12, 2006