    gigs. of used space, finding this one (or more) offending file could
    take forever. Is there a program which I can use which will look for
    long file names and identify them? Thanks.

    Scribner, Nov 7, 2004

  2. Scribner

    Ingeborg Guest

    Scribner <> wrote in
    news::

    > I cannot convert my NTFS drive back to FAT 32 because somewhere on the
    > hard drive there is a file with a name that is too long. With 50
    > gigs. of used space, finding this one (or more) offending file could
    > take forever. Is there a program which I can use which will look for
    > long file names and identify them? Thanks.

    Not directly, but...

    open command prompt, type
    D: (where D is the drive to be converted)
    cd \
    dir /S /B >listing.txt

    This will dump all files paths in the file D:\listing.txt

    Open this file with some textprocessor (Word). Replace all \ bij a newline.
    Change the page width so that the filename which is too long doesn't fit
    anymore. Search for a temporary - (word wrap sign)

    Ingeborg, Nov 7, 2004

  3. Scribner

    LPV Guest

    "Scribner" <> wrote in message

    > I cannot convert my NTFS drive back to FAT 32 because somewhere on the
    > hard drive there is a file with a name that is too long. With 50
    > gigs. of used space, finding this one (or more) offending file could
    > take forever. Is there a program which I can use which will look for
    > long file names and identify them? Thanks.

    This should do the trick:

    Program Name: Long Filenames Finder

    www.dcsoft.com

    HTH,

    Loren

    LPV, Nov 7, 2004
  4. Scribner

    Scribner Guest

    On 7 Nov 2004 13:22:28 GMT, Ingeborg <> wrote:

    >Scribner <> wrote in
    >
    >> I cannot convert my NTFS drive back to FAT 32 because somewhere on the
    >> hard drive there is a file with a name that is too long. With 50
    >> gigs. of used space, finding this one (or more) offending file could
    >> take forever. Is there a program which I can use which will look for
    >> long file names and identify them? Thanks.
    >>

    >Not directly, but...
    >
    >open command prompt, type
    >D: (where D is the drive to be converted)
    >cd \
    >dir /S /B >listing.txt
    >
    >This will dump all files paths in the file D:\listing.txt
    >
    >Open this file with some textprocessor (Word). Replace all \ bij a newline.
    >Change the page width so that the filename which is too long doesn't fit
    >anymore. Search for a temporary - (word wrap sign)

    Thanks. This works - sort of. But no word wrap. A glitch somewhere,
    I suppose.

    Scribner, Nov 8, 2004
  5. Scribner

    Scribner Guest

    On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 10:29:16 -0600, "LPV"
    <> wrote:

    >"Scribner" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> I cannot convert my NTFS drive back to FAT 32 because somewhere on the
    >> hard drive there is a file with a name that is too long. With 50
    >> gigs. of used space, finding this one (or more) offending file could
    >> take forever. Is there a program which I can use which will look for
    >> long file names and identify them? Thanks.

    >This should do the trick:
    >
    >Program Name: Long Filenames Finder
    >
    >www.dcsoft.com
    >
    >HTH,
    >
    >Loren

    This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

    Scribner, Nov 8, 2004
  6. Scribner

    LPV Guest

    Scribner wrote:

    > This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

    You're very welcome...glad to hear it fit the bill for you.

    Loren

    LPV, Nov 8, 2004
  7. Scribner

    Scribner Guest

    On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 23:42:37 -0600, "LPV"
    <> wrote:

    >I wrote:
    >
    >> >This should do the trick:
    >> >
    >> >Program Name: Long Filenames Finder
    >> >
    >> >www.dcsoft.com

    >Scribner wrote:
    >
    >> This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

    >You're very welcome...glad to hear it fit the bill for you.
    >
    >Loren

    Yeah. I've cleaned up the long file names on the drives, yet I'm
    still getting the long name error. 8-(. Oh, well.

    Scribner, Nov 8, 2004
  8. Scribner

    Ingeborg Guest

    Scribner <> wrote in

    > On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 23:42:37 -0600, "LPV"
    > <> wrote:

    >>Scribner wrote:
    >>
    >>> This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

    >>You're very welcome...glad to hear it fit the bill for you.
    >>
    >>Loren
    >>

    > Yeah. I've cleaned up the long file names on the drives, yet I'm
    > still getting the long name error. 8-(. Oh, well.

    Maybe the total path is to deep? In win95 VFAT the maximum path length is
    259, and maybe this is a VFAT limitation, and as far as I know in NTFS
    it's virtually unlimited.

    You could repeat my trick without replacing \ by newline, and with some
    other filter to find lines longer than 259 bytes. (Eyes?)

    Ingeborg, Nov 8, 2004