    or Norton Utilities Wipe Info to delete the files, but I can't rename them. Any
    idea why? Thanks.
    , Sep 4, 2005

  2. Toolman Tim Guest

    wrote:
    > I'm using Windows XP Pro. I find that when I try to either delete or
    > rename a file with a long file name, usually a song I've got in a
    > folder and I don't want the year, album info, track number etc, and I
    > try to get rid of all that, I get a Windows Explorer error telling me
    > Explorer has to close, sorry for the inconvenience, etc. It happens
    > every time. I can use a utility such as Eraser or Norton Utilities
    > Wipe Info to delete the files, but I can't rename them. Any idea why?
    > Thanks.

    Broken windows.

    Toolman Tim, Sep 4, 2005

  3. wrote:

    > I'm using Windows XP Pro. I find that when I try to either delete or
    > rename a file with a long file name, usually a song I've got in a folder
    > and I don't want the year, album info, track number etc, and I try to get
    > rid of all that, I get a Windows Explorer error telling me Explorer has to
    > close, sorry for the
    > inconvenience, etc. It happens every time. I can use a utility such as
    > Eraser or Norton Utilities Wipe Info to delete the files, but I can't
    > rename them. Any idea why? Thanks.

    You appear to have a shell extension (maybe some mp3info stuff) installed,
    which opens the file you want to delete just to read the id3tag, and maybe
    then a on-access-virus scanner thinks he has to scan the mp3 file also,
    which locks your file up for too long.
    Try to disable the virus scanner for a test, or get rid of the shell
    extension.
    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.12-mm2[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]
    Walter Mautner, Sep 4, 2005
  4. Vanguard Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I'm using Windows XP Pro. I find that when I try to either delete or
    > rename a
    > file with a long file name, usually a song I've got in a folder and I
    > don't want
    > the year, album info, track number etc, and I try to get rid of all
    > that, I get
    > a Windows Explorer error telling me Explorer has to close, sorry for
    > the
    > inconvenience, etc. It happens every time. I can use a utility such
    > as Eraser
    > or Norton Utilities Wipe Info to delete the files, but I can't rename
    > them. Any
    > idea why? Thanks.

    Max length of filename = 255 characters

    If there are any spaces in the filename, be sure to use double quotes to
    delimit the filename.

    Try doing the REN command in a DOS shell. If that works, maybe you
    install software that provides an extension to Explorer but is screwing
    up. See what happens if you reboot into Safe Mode and use Explorer to
    rename the file.

    For e-mail, remove "NIX" and add "#LAH" passcode to Subject.
    Vanguard, Sep 4, 2005
  5. Unk Guest

    On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 09:05:26 -0400, wrote:

    >I'm using Windows XP Pro. I find that when I try to either delete or rename a
    >file with a long file name, usually a song I've got in a folder and I don't want
    >the year, album info, track number etc, and I try to get rid of all that, I get
    >a Windows Explorer error telling me Explorer has to close, sorry for the
    >inconvenience, etc. It happens every time. I can use a utility such as Eraser
    >or Norton Utilities Wipe Info to delete the files, but I can't rename them. Any
    >idea why? Thanks.

    Right-click, "Properties" and try to rename if from the properties box.
    Unk, Sep 5, 2005