Long Delays in Receiving Email

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Ex_OWM, Sep 16, 2005.

  1. Ex_OWM

    Ex_OWM Guest

    We have our site registered with register.ie* and were originally using
    their email lite package with mailforwarding to an external (ISP) POP3
    account but found intermittent delays in email delivery and some emails
    getting lost. Because of this, a few weeks ago, we took out an email hosting
    package with registerfly.com with an MX record at register.ie pointing to
    Registerfly.

    Over the last few days we have been experiencing very long delays again, I'm
    at a loss to figure out whether the delay is with register.ie or
    Registerfly.com; the latter would seem the likely culprit but it just seems
    a strange coincidence that I should have picked a dodgy host after having
    similar problems with register.ie. Mind you, I'm less than impressed with
    Registerfly support so far, a ticket opened 24 hours ago but no response so
    far :(

    Can anyone suggest how I can pin this down before I decide to move our email
    hosting yet again?

    A sample header from a delayed email is below (real addresses munged). This
    was sent to me at GMT 17:30 on Wednesday14 Sep and only arrived in my inbox
    at about GMT 08:00 the next morning - a delay of over14 hours!

    (Note - the mail is being sent to and from the same domain but in different
    parts of the country)

    Email Headers:
    =========
    Return-Path: <>
    Delivered-To:
    Received: (qmail 31119 invoked from network); 14 Sep 2005 17:11:39 -0000
    Received: from mail07.svc.cra.dublin.eircom.net (159.134.118.23)
    by unknown.sagonet.net with SMTP; 14 Sep 2005 17:11:39 -0000
    Received: (qmail 64779 messnum 2895797 invoked from
    network[83.71.88.29/83-71-88-29.b-ras1.mvw.galway.eircom.net]); 14 Sep 2005
    17:30:02 -0000
    Received: from 83-71-88-29.b-ras1.mvw.galway.eircom.net (HELO Sligo)
    (83.71.88.29)
    by mail07.svc.cra.dublin.eircom.net (qp 64779) with SMTP; 14 Sep 2005
    17:30:02 -0000
    From: "Bruce, MyCompany" <>
    To: "'Martin, MyCompany" <>

    Subject: xxx
    Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 18:28:01 +0100
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    Content-Type: multipart/mixed;
    boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0007_01C5B95A.0A6DCB50"
    X-Mailer: Microsoft Office Outlook, Build 11.0.5510
    Thread-Index: AcW5UagfE3q9EP5MTBmQmdPyc3brAQ==
    X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.2527


    *Footnote
    ========
    '.ie' - Ireland - is a controlled TLD and IME so far, Irish registrars offer
    a poor service, mainly, I suspect because the market is not competitive. For
    example, most of them only give one POP3 account unless you take out one of
    their paid for email services. I've struggled in vain to find an external
    registrar who will offer a better service.
     
    Ex_OWM, Sep 16, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Ex_OWM

    Mike Easter Guest

    Ex_OWM wrote:

    > A sample header from a delayed email is below (real addresses
    > munged). This was sent to me at GMT 17:30 on Wednesday14 Sep and only
    > arrived in my inbox at about GMT 08:00 the next morning - a delay of
    > over14 hours!


    What you have displayed does not demonstrate any delays:

    Abbreviated Received traceline timestamps
    by unknown.sagonet.net 14 Sep 17:11:39 -0000
    by mail07.svc.cra.dublin.eircom.net 14 Sep 17:30:02 -0000

    The item went 83.71.88.29 helo Sligo > mail07 > sagonet

    In the munged headers you have pasted, unless something has been left
    out, unknown.sagonet.net would be considered your 'mailbox', and the
    item arrived in your mailbox close to the time it was received by mail07
    from the source calling itself helo Sligo.

    When you say 'arrived in my inbox' in the par above, the inbox might be
    a mailuser agent such as OE which fetches its mail from an smtp server
    that accesses the sagonet. If there is more to the story than the
    headers display, you will have to describe it, because the headers don't
    display the delay you describe.

    The headers won't display a delay in your OE fetching the mail from the
    pop server.


    --
    Mike Easter
     
    Mike Easter, Sep 16, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Ex_OWM

    Ex_OWM Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    news:432b1d6f$0$7633$...
    > Ex_OWM wrote:
    >
    >> A sample header from a delayed email is below (real addresses
    >> munged). This was sent to me at GMT 17:30 on Wednesday14 Sep and only
    >> arrived in my inbox at about GMT 08:00 the next morning - a delay of
    >> over14 hours!

    >
    > What you have displayed does not demonstrate any delays:
    >
    > Abbreviated Received traceline timestamps
    > by unknown.sagonet.net 14 Sep 17:11:39 -0000
    > by mail07.svc.cra.dublin.eircom.net 14 Sep 17:30:02 -0000
    >
    > The item went 83.71.88.29 helo Sligo > mail07 > sagonet
    >
    > In the munged headers you have pasted, unless something has been left
    > out, unknown.sagonet.net would be considered your 'mailbox', and the
    > item arrived in your mailbox close to the time it was received by mail07
    > from the source calling itself helo Sligo.


    > When you say 'arrived in my inbox' in the par above, the inbox might be
    > a mailuser agent such as OE which fetches its mail from an smtp server
    > that accesses the sagonet. If there is more to the story than the
    > headers display, you will have to describe it, because the headers don't
    > display the delay you describe.
    >
    > The headers won't display a delay in your OE fetching the mail from the
    > pop server.



    That's what I thought.

    I check my mailbox every 5 minutes and although the mail seems to have
    arrived in my box at Sagonet with no delay, for some reason it wasn't
    available to me for another 14 hours. My email host Registerfly (obviously
    using a server at Sagonet) has a webmail facility and I checked this several
    times during the intervening 14 hours and the messsage didn't appear there
    either.

    It looks very much to me that it's a problem with their mail server
    collecting the mail but not releasing it for some reason.

    Now 30 hours since I posted a support ticket with them and they still have
    not responded so I guess it's time to move elsewhere.
     
    Ex_OWM, Sep 16, 2005
    #3
  4. Ex_OWM

    Mike Easter Guest

    Ex_OWM wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"
    >> Ex_OWM wrote:


    >>> This was sent to me at GMT 17:30 on Wednesday14 Sep and
    >>> only arrived in my inbox at about GMT 08:00 the next morning - a
    >>> delay of over14 hours!


    >> Abbreviated Received traceline timestamps
    >> by unknown.sagonet.net 14 Sep 17:11:39 -0000
    >> by mail07.svc.cra.dublin.eircom.net 14 Sep 17:30:02 -0000
    >>
    >> The item went 83.71.88.29 helo Sligo > mail07 > sagonet
    >>
    >> In the munged headers you have pasted, unless something has been left
    >> out, unknown.sagonet.net would be considered your 'mailbox', and the
    >> item arrived in your mailbox close to the time it was received by
    >> mail07 from the source calling itself helo Sligo.


    > That's what I thought.
    >
    > I check my mailbox every 5 minutes and although the mail seems to have
    > arrived in my box at Sagonet with no delay, for some reason it wasn't
    > available to me for another 14 hours. My email host Registerfly
    > (obviously using a server at Sagonet) has a webmail facility and I
    > checked this several times during the intervening 14 hours and the
    > messsage didn't appear there either.


    I'm not clear on the mechanics of what registerfly is doing and why the
    role of registerfly isn't reflected in the headers you posted. If your
    mail is 'going from' sagonet to registerfly, how come registerfly isn't
    stamping the headers?

    > It looks very much to me that it's a problem with their mail server
    > collecting the mail but not releasing it for some reason.


    And by them 'mishandling' the mail - by not stamping it and also by
    delaying it - their mishandling is 'concealed'. Very 'clever' ie sneaky
    style of mishandling.

    > Now 30 hours since I posted a support ticket with them and they still
    > have not responded so I guess it's time to move elsewhere.


    That sounds like a plan.

    I don't understand what the role of the 'intermediary' registerfly is
    supposed to be anyway.

    --
    Mike Easter
     
    Mike Easter, Sep 16, 2005
    #4
  5. Ex_OWM

    Ex_OWM Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    news:432b25bf$0$8046$...
    > Ex_OWM wrote:
    >> "Mike Easter"
    >>> Ex_OWM wrote:


    > I'm not clear on the mechanics of what registerfly is doing and why the
    > role of registerfly isn't reflected in the headers you posted. If your
    > mail is 'going from' sagonet to registerfly, how come registerfly isn't
    > stamping the headers?


    Sagonet are a provider of dedicated servers, looks to me that registerfly
    are using them - the fact that they don't use their own servers, or at least
    have the sense to rename the dedicated server, is enough to put me off for
    starters :(
     
    Ex_OWM, Sep 16, 2005
    #5
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Kevin

    Not Receiving Email

    Kevin, Nov 17, 2003, in forum: Cisco
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    1,110
    bburcan
    Nov 7, 2006
  2. Xtra (random) email delays

    , Nov 25, 2006, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    386
    B Campbell
    Nov 28, 2006
  3. muppet

    Slingshot Email Delays

    muppet, Jun 29, 2007, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    16
    Views:
    803
    muppet
    Jul 1, 2007
  4. Colin Palmer

    Delays-delays-delays

    Colin Palmer, Feb 25, 2008, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    508
    chuckcar
    Feb 26, 2008
  5. Akki3
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    334
    LarryWestMCSD
    Jul 18, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page