    other folders, start any other programs, etc. Does this sound familiar to
    anyone?

    XP64 bit

    Zootal, Jun 14, 2009

  2. It is probably more common than is reported. Don't forget there are
    dozens of processes in Windows and they all have their priorities. I
    get if from time to time.

    Bobby Johnson, Jun 14, 2009

  3. Zootal

    Vic Baron Guest

    Do a Google search on slow context menu - there have been several fixes
    posted.

    Vic Baron, Jun 15, 2009
  4. Zootal

    Carlos Guest

    Zootal,
    My hunch is that one of the context menu items is causing the delay.
    It could be one of those "Scan with.." (antivirus thing) or "WinRAR"
    (archiver program), etc.
    Make a list of all non original installation context items (those who belong
    to MSFT) and try disabling them in their corresponding program options.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jun 15, 2009
  5. Zootal

    Zootal Guest

    I might mention it happens shortly after rebooting. Once the system has sat
    for a while, it doesn't happen. So I cleaned out a bunch of context menu
    stuff...now for a reboot :)

    Zootal, Jun 15, 2009
  6. Zootal

    Carlos Guest

    Zootal,
    You might then also want to try Autoruns:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx
    for disabling unnecessary startup programs.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jun 15, 2009
  7. Also, you might have installed something which is relying on a certain
    service that in turn relies on another service that only starts later, so
    ends up delaying the whole boot process?

    Personally, I have found the site Blackviper.com enormously helpfull at
    times, every item in his bag-of-tricks will hardly suit you, but it may at
    least help you think?

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 15, 2009
  8. Zootal

    Carlos Guest

    Tony,
    http://www.blackviper.com/ is certainly another alternative for disabling
    services that the OP might not need and could speed up the boot and initial
    right-click process.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jun 15, 2009
  9. Zootal

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 11:09:34 -0700, "Zootal"
    <> wrote:

    >I might mention it happens shortly after rebooting. Once the system has sat
    >for a while, it doesn't happen. So I cleaned out a bunch of context menu
    >stuff...now for a reboot :)

    This sounds like a problem I used to have on 2 systems (one desktop
    with XP Pro SP2 & 3, one laptop with XP home SP 2 & 3). After checking
    with the Process Explorer, I noticed the Windows Update task was very
    active. After I disabled the Automatic Update, the system started up
    much quicker. It's a problem around for some time, as I noticed it in
    SP 2 & SP3.

    jud

    Jud Hendrix, Jun 16, 2009
  10. "Carlos" <> wrote in message
    > Tony,
    > http://www.blackviper.com/ is certainly another alternative for disabling
    > services that the OP might not need and could speed up the boot and
    > initial
    > right-click process.
    > Carlos

    More than disabling stuff (which could be smart on a working system) I was
    thinking of trying to find out the order that the services are loaded. Doing
    that, perhaps using Event Viewer, or SysInternals that can log most anything
    I believe, to see if anything loads multiple times and maybe how much time
    the system spends doing that, plus whatching out for messages could reveal a
    'trouble spot'.

    I am fairly possitive that BV has some instructive text on how to interfere
    with the Services loading order - and though it has been discussed here on
    earlier occasions, it is a good thing to have nearly all the bits in one
    place to fall back on when you need to think straight.

    Setting up a slimmed down Hardware Profile that suits your needs (and those
    of your machine's) is a task that might turn out to be counter-productive to
    resolving the details of a system that is burdened by, whatever. It might
    resolve the issue, but it's like magic and you wouldn't know which part did
    what.

    There is one dangerous aspect to the BlackViper site - it is so full with
    intelligent information that most everybody could ruin any system by going
    haywire, applying all the tricks at once. There's an adage about 'the
    elefant in the porcelain shop' that springs to mind. It's like cooking up a
    dinner, your head spins thinking about all the good ingredients you could
    put in there.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 16, 2009