Long Boot Delay on XP Tablet w/ Wireless Network

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?V29vZHk=?=, Jul 21, 2006.

  1. I have a tablet PC running XP Tablet 2005 with a built-in Wifi card and LAN
    port. The access point I use at home has issues with WZC and constantly
    drops the connection, so I've setup the config tool that came with the
    laptop. That tool disables WZC in preference of its own setup. I was seeing
    this delay with WZC as well, so I don't think thats an issue. In both cases,
    I'm using DHCP to get the IP address from the associated access point.

    The delay lasts about 2 minutes, and is occurring shortly after the "Loading
    your personal settings" screen shows up. I've run BootVis, and it seems that
    the delay starts just after SPBBCSVC.EXE launches. About one minute later
    WUAUCLT.EXE starts, and a minute after that ALG.EXE starts along with several
    other processes and booting resumes normaly. During the 2 minutes, BootVis
    shows the the CPU, drive, IRP stacks, and the rest are all quite inactive.

    It would appear that these items (Norton Internet Security, and Windows
    Auto-updater?) both are looking for a network when one isn't setup yet and
    delaying boot in hopes that it just a temporary thing.

    Is there a way to indicate to these services that they need to wait? Or if
    not, is there a way to delay or disable the WUAUCLT.EXE process? I'm not
    sure whats starting it, since its not showing up anywhere in the registry, or
    in the service lists.

    =?Utf-8?B?V29vZHk=?=, Jul 21, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?V29vZHk=?=

    Alan Adams Guest

    Woody <> wrote:

    > I have a tablet PC running XP Tablet 2005 with a built-in Wifi card and LAN
    > port. The access point I use at home has issues with WZC and constantly
    > drops the connection, so I've setup the config tool that came with the
    > laptop. That tool disables WZC in preference of its own setup. I was seeing
    > this delay with WZC as well, so I don't think thats an issue. In both cases,
    > I'm using DHCP to get the IP address from the associated access point.
    >
    > The delay lasts about 2 minutes, and is occurring shortly after the "Loading
    > your personal settings" screen shows up. I've run BootVis, and it seems that
    > the delay starts just after SPBBCSVC.EXE launches. About one minute later
    > WUAUCLT.EXE starts, and a minute after that ALG.EXE starts along with several
    > other processes and booting resumes normaly. During the 2 minutes, BootVis
    > shows the the CPU, drive, IRP stacks, and the rest are all quite inactive.

    I don't think there is any one answer to "why does this happen". In
    the cases I've seen, both based on BootVis I/O delay logging and based
    on physically debugging the machine, the 120-second delay is due to a
    120-second timeout in mrxsmb!MRxSmbRegisterForPnpNotifications.

    BootVis showed that SVCHOST.EXE had a IRP_MJ_DEVICE_CONTROL call in
    progress down to the Microsoft SMB redirector (MRXSMB.SYS) for up to
    120 seconds. Under the debugger this was confirmed to be originating
    from the Microsoft "Workstation Service" (WKSSVC.DLL, running on a
    SVCHOST.EXE instance) and that the IOCTL was specifically blocked in
    mrxsmb!MRxSmbRegisterForPnpNotifications in a nt!KeWaitForSingleObject
    with a hard-coded 120-second max timeout.

    I've seen this happen in seemingly "predictable" cases. Such as cases
    where the workstation doesn't have any other network interface besides
    the wireless interface, but the wireless interface cannot obtain an
    address via DHCP until after a post-login wireless configuration tool
    gets launched. As such mrxsmb!MRxSmbRegisterForPnpNotifications is
    waiting for one or more network interfaces to be known. But since the
    network interface won't come up until post-login, you're stuck waiting
    for the APIPA (169.xx.xx.xx) to fianlly be auto-assigned to the
    interface or for the 120-second timeout to expire.

    This situation could also occur in some cases by having the Wireless
    Zero Configuration service stopped, presumably for similar reasons.
    But not everyone having the issue had WZC stopped, and not all those
    who did have it stopped saw success once it was started (although some
    did succeed then).

    But this same issue seems to happen in "unpredictable" cases too; e.g.
    with the presence, removal or re-installation of seemingly unrelated
    software. So it seems like there is just a more specific underlying
    condition or issue that has not been fully appreciated yet.

    > It would appear that these items (Norton Internet Security, and Windows
    > Auto-updater?) both are looking for a network when one isn't setup yet and
    > delaying boot in hopes that it just a temporary thing.
    >
    > Is there a way to indicate to these services that they need to wait? Or if
    > not, is there a way to delay or disable the WUAUCLT.EXE process? I'm not
    > sure whats starting it, since its not showing up anywhere in the registry, or
    > in the service lists.

    My own guess (and its just a guess) based on what I've seen is that
    you're always going to encounter "something" that will hang and have
    to be allowed to timeout because of this, if the issue is occurring.
    Even if the application isn't network-specific or specifically waiting
    for a network interface (which would also be an issue), applications
    that call any API that is directly or indirectly dependent on the
    Workstation Service for its answer can get hung up anyway because the
    initialization of the Workstation Service itself is being delayed.

    So either "delay anything that needs the network or the Workstation
    service" would end up being "everything", or new things end up getting
    delayed because of the services you've now deferred because they
    depend on the network or Workstation service.

    The best approach would probably trying to get a wireless network
    interface that becomes active even pre-login. You might check into
    whether the non-WZC-based configuration tool for the wireless card is
    intending or can be configured to run pre-login (e.g. as a service,
    like WZC). Doing so, if possible, would allow the network interface
    to become active instead of timing out to the end of the 120 timeout.

    Alan Adams

    Alan Adams, Jul 23, 2006

  3. Thanks for the reply Alan, it at least has one bit of info I didn't know
    before, which was the bit about SMB redirector. Maybe if I disable SMB
    services (which I don't use on the laptop) it will speed up the boot process.
    (Assuming thats still possible?)

    Do you think that changing that, or the Workstation service to Manual start,
    and then adding a startup cmd in the boot reg/startup list would work? May
    try that tonight.

    It just baffles me that MS doesn't have a hot-patch for this to prevent the
    2 min timeout delay. Do they think nobody uses wifi as a primary network?
    Or that nobody uses a 3rd party wifi manager in place of their WZC service?
    Seems pretty outrageous to me. :(

    =?Utf-8?B?V29vZHk=?=, Jul 25, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?V29vZHk=?=

    Alan Adams Guest

    Woody <> wrote:

    > Do you think that changing that, or the Workstation service
    > to Manual start, and then adding a startup cmd in the boot
    > reg/startup list would work? May try that tonight.

    Its not something I would recommend, but I guess its possible it could
    end up being effective. What doesn't compute for me is "what happens
    to all the stuff that wanted to use information from the workstation
    service" if you did that. As described earlier, I would be expecting
    to have new problems by trying to force individual services to delay
    you've affected something else.

    Alan Adams

    Alan Adams, Jul 25, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?V29vZHk=?=

    JustOnePost

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Had similar problem

    Hello!
    I just solved a similar problem using your information.
    In my system the internet-connection is established over ppp. I have only one network card for the sole purpose to connect to the dsl-modem. Now, windows reported that this card had no connectivity, in spite of the dsl-link set up through this card, because it could not obtain an ip adress from the network.
    Some important system services could not be started until this two minute timeout, where the driver waited for an ip assignment were elapsed, including the services to establish the adsl-connection itself.
    I solved my problem by manually assigning an ip adress to my card, stopping the "no connectivity" messages. Maybe a similar procedure will work for you too..
    Good luck

    JustOnePost, Sep 23, 2006
  6. =?Utf-8?B?V29vZHk=?=

    Gert

    Joined:
    May 23, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Solved

    Yes!

    Thanks for this tips.

    My configuration:
    Computer (Compaq nx 6110) with wireless network card and ethernet nic.

    Problem: 2 minutes delayed startup of XP when wireless network card was switched off by switch on PC.

    I expected the problem to be in the ethernet nic, because the wireless network card (wnc) was switched off.

    But at the end, the problem was solved by uninstalling the drivers of the wnc, and reinstalling the drivers by using the automatic internet search option.

    Thanks again,
    Gert

    Gert, May 23, 2008