Londoners are getting 24 mbps Broadband

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by XP, Sep 1, 2005.

  1. XP

    XP Guest

    XP, Sep 1, 2005

  2. XP

    Nova Guest

    Nova, Sep 1, 2005

  3. XP

    Mackin Guest

    Mackin, Sep 1, 2005
  4. XP

    Nova Guest

    Mackin wrote:
    > XP wrote:
    >

    >>It seems that we are very far behind
    >>

    >>https://www.bethere.co.uk/beonline/productHome.do
    >>
    >>This also is due to the fact that the LL is now unbundled

    > According to this article: http://tinyurl.com/dyp4f ADSL2+ is supposed to be
    > coming to NZ at the end of this year.
    >
    > Mackin

    yeah that might be nice from a marketing point of view.. but considering
    ADSL can go to what 8 megabits? and the highest speed ubs plans we have
    are 2 megabits seems a bit of a joke..

    The only unlimited plans we have are 256/128, well they are shaped
    actually..

    and doesn't telecom only allow 24kbits per customer of bandwidth?
    Nova, Sep 1, 2005
  5. XP

    Mackin Guest

    Nova wrote:

    <snip>

    >> According to this article: http://tinyurl.com/dyp4f ADSL2+ is supposed to
    >> be coming to NZ at the end of this year.
    >>
    >> Mackin

    > yeah that might be nice from a marketing point of view.. but considering
    > ADSL can go to what 8 megabits? and the highest speed ubs plans we have
    > are 2 megabits seems a bit of a joke..
    >
    > The only unlimited plans we have are 256/128, well they are shaped
    > actually..
    >
    > and doesn't telecom only allow 24kbits per customer of bandwidth?

    You're right, there's a lot of Telecom PR bullshit in that article. What
    actually ends up being delivered will likely be a lot less than the
    technology is capable of. And no doubt we'll have to pay top $$$ for it.

    Bloody Telecom monopoly. :-(

    Mackin
    Mackin, Sep 1, 2005
  6. "Mackin" <> wrote in message
    > Nova wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    >>> According to this article: http://tinyurl.com/dyp4f ADSL2+ is supposed
    >>> be coming to NZ at the end of this year.
    >>>
    >>> Mackin

    >> yeah that might be nice from a marketing point of view.. but considering
    >> ADSL can go to what 8 megabits? and the highest speed ubs plans we have
    >> are 2 megabits seems a bit of a joke..
    >>
    >> The only unlimited plans we have are 256/128, well they are shaped
    >> actually..
    >>
    >> and doesn't telecom only allow 24kbits per customer of bandwidth?

    > You're right, there's a lot of Telecom PR bullshit in that article. What
    > actually ends up being delivered will likely be a lot less than the
    > technology is capable of. And no doubt we'll have to pay top $$$ for it.
    >
    > Bloody Telecom monopoly. :-(
    >
    > Mackin

    get better adsl in congo.
    news.xtra.co.nz, Sep 1, 2005
  7. XP

    Harry Guest

    Harry, Sep 1, 2005
  8. T'was the Thu, 01 Sep 2005 11:28:33 +1200 when I remembered XP
    <> saying something like this:

    >It seems that we are very far behind

    Yeah, we don't even have the same population as London, we've got ages
    to go until we're like that.

    Suffice to say, I'm kinda glad New Zealand (south of say, Mercer) is
    the way it is.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.
    Waylon Kenning, Sep 1, 2005
  9. Hi there,

    Harry wrote:
    > XP wrote:
    >

    >>It seems that we are very far behind
    >>

    >>https://www.bethere.co.uk/beonline/productHome.do
    >>
    >>This also is due to the fact that the LL is now unbundled

    > Australians also have 24 mbps - for some time now.

    ....I must have missed something, are you sure?

    Mind you we're on 1.5Mbps with TPG, and 150+kb/s downloads are
    kinda nice... :)

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.
    Chris Wilkinson, Sep 7, 2005
  10. XP

    Harry Guest

    Chris Wilkinson wrote:

    > Hi there,
    >
    > Harry wrote:
    >> XP wrote:
    >>

    >>>It seems that we are very far behind
    >>>

    >>>https://www.bethere.co.uk/beonline/productHome.do
    >>>
    >>>This also is due to the fact that the LL is now unbundled

    >> Australians also have 24 mbps - for some time now.

    > ...I must have missed something, are you sure?

    Yes I am sure. It is called ADSL2+.
    For example: http://adsl.internode.on.net
    Harry, Sep 7, 2005