    this test takes anywhere from two to four years. Also that 80% drop
    out in the process. What is the "Blue Book"? Methinks we need
    such an impediment here.
    Dunc, Dec 18, 2004

  2. Dunc

    Yddap Guest

    In news:,
    Dunc <> opined very noisily:
    > An intriquing bit of trivia showed up in our local paper. Says that
    > London taxi drivers must pass a test based on the "Blue Book" and that
    > this test takes anywhere from two to four years. Also that 80% drop
    > out in the process. What is the "Blue Book"? Methinks we need
    > such an impediment here.

    Colloquially known as " The Knowledge "
    suggest a Google

    :)
    --

    Yddap
    Remove guts to reply
    Yddap, Dec 18, 2004

  3. Dunc

    Dunc Guest

    On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 20:51:04 GMT, "Yddap" <>
    wrote:

    >In news:,
    >Dunc <> opined very noisily:
    >> An intriquing bit of trivia showed up in our local paper. Says that
    >> London taxi drivers must pass a test based on the "Blue Book" and that
    >> this test takes anywhere from two to four years. Also that 80% drop
    >> out in the process. What is the "Blue Book"? Methinks we need
    >> such an impediment here.

    >Colloquially known as " The Knowledge "
    >suggest a Google
    >
    >:)

    Thanks, Yddap. "Blue Book" brought a lot of answers
    Dunc, Dec 18, 2004
  4. Dunc

    wrote:

    >In news:,
    >Dunc <> opined very noisily:
    >> An intriquing bit of trivia showed up in our local paper. Says that
    >> London taxi drivers must pass a test based on the "Blue Book" and that
    >> this test takes anywhere from two to four years. Also that 80% drop
    >> out in the process. What is the "Blue Book"? Methinks we need
    >> such an impediment here.

    >Colloquially known as " The Knowledge "
    >suggest a Google
    >
    >:)

    And that brought up 135,000,000 entries, but it took only .19 secs
    Dunc, Dec 18, 2004
  5. Dunc

    SgtMinor Guest

    Enroll here: http://www.kpmknowledgeschool.com/faq.htm
    SgtMinor, Dec 18, 2004
  6. Dunc

    Dunc Guest

    On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 15:59:12 -0500, SgtMinor
    <> wrote:

    >Dunc wrote:
    >> An intriquing bit of trivia showed up in our local paper. Says that
    >> London taxi drivers must pass a test based on the "Blue Book" and that
    >> this test takes anywhere from two to four years. Also that 80% drop
    >> out in the process. What is the "Blue Book"? Methinks we need
    >> such an impediment here.

    >Enroll here: http://www.kpmknowledgeschool.com/faq.htm

    That is a very comprhensive site, Sarge. Many thanks.
    Dunc, Dec 18, 2004
  7. Dunc

    Richard Guest

    Dunc wrote:

    > An intriquing bit of trivia showed up in our local paper. Says that
    > London taxi drivers must pass a test based on the "Blue Book" and that
    > this test takes anywhere from two to four years. Also that 80% drop
    > out in the process. What is the "Blue Book"? Methinks we need
    > such an impediment here.

    When applying for the job, they are interviewed.
    They are asked what is the most direct route from point a to point b.
    If the route is wrong, they failed the interview and they are not told what
    the correct route is.

    I am assuming that their "blue book" refers to the various "shortest
    routes".

    This was shown on one of the tv shows like "60 minutes" or something.
    Richard, Dec 18, 2004
  8. Dunc

    WormWood Guest

    "Dunc" wrote:

    > An intriquing bit of trivia showed up in our local paper. Says that
    > London taxi drivers must pass a test based on the "Blue Book" and that
    > this test takes anywhere from two to four years. Also that 80% drop
    > out in the process. What is the "Blue Book"? Methinks we need
    > such an impediment here.

    This doesn't answer your question, but in the US the "Blue Book" is
    where to find the resale value of used cars.
    WormWood, Dec 18, 2004
  9. Dunc

    Jim Guest

    R map_B print- follow the yellow brick road, and if it's crimbo charge e'm
    double!.
    > Dunc wrote:
    >
    >> An intriquing bit of trivia showed up in our local paper. Says that
    >> London taxi drivers must pass a test based on the "Blue Book" and that
    >> this test takes anywhere from two to four years. Also that 80% drop
    >> out in the process. What is the "Blue Book"? Methinks we need
    >> such an impediment here.

    > When applying for the job, they are interviewed.
    > They are asked what is the most direct route from point a to point b.
    > If the route is wrong, they failed the interview and they are not told
    > what
    > the correct route is.
    >
    > I am assuming that their "blue book" refers to the various "shortest
    > routes".
    >
    > This was shown on one of the tv shows like "60 minutes" or something.

    ---
    Jim, Dec 18, 2004
  10. Dunc

    Dunc Guest

    On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 17:10:53 -0500, "WormWood"
    <> wrote:

    >"Dunc" wrote:
    >
    >> An intriquing bit of trivia showed up in our local paper. Says that
    >> London taxi drivers must pass a test based on the "Blue Book" and that
    >> this test takes anywhere from two to four years. Also that 80% drop
    >> out in the process. What is the "Blue Book"? Methinks we need
    >> such an impediment here.
    >>

    >This doesn't answer your question, but in the US the "Blue Book" is
    >where to find the resale value of used cars.

    In Canada, also. The definitive answer was from Sgt. Minor - a
    great website.
    Dunc, Dec 18, 2004
  11. Dunc

    anthonyberet Guest

    Dunc wrote:
    > On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 20:51:04 GMT, "Yddap" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>In news:,
    >>Dunc <> opined very noisily:
    >>
    >>>An intriquing bit of trivia showed up in our local paper. Says that
    >>>London taxi drivers must pass a test based on the "Blue Book" and that
    >>>this test takes anywhere from two to four years. Also that 80% drop
    >>>out in the process. What is the "Blue Book"? Methinks we need
    >>>such an impediment here.

    >>Colloquially known as " The Knowledge "
    >>suggest a Google
    >>
    >>:)

    > And that brought up 135,000,000 entries, but it took only .19 secs

    Try ["The Knowledge" taxi].
    Third hit is this one:
    http://www.thelondontaxi.co.uk/page3.htm

    It has to be said that it is great that black-taxi drivers always know
    the way in London, amongst 15,000 streets, which -being so old- are not
    laid out in any logical fashion.
    anthonyberet, Dec 19, 2004