    <http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/59A7846C896BEA95CC2575E5007D8F33>,
    because it's just too expensive to keep running.

    What will they replace it with, I wonder?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 2, 2009

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    peterwn Guest

    On Jul 2, 1:07 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:

    > Now it looks like the LSE wants to dump that Windows-based trading system
    > <http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/59A7846C896BEA95CC2575E5007D...>,
    > because it's just too expensive to keep running.
    >
    > What will they replace it with, I wonder?

    Even if people prefer Windows / MS Office desktops the 'engine' behind
    the whole thing is often a Linux server, since Linux has the 'grunt'
    to get the job done safely and reliably and there are no SAL's to
    purchase. So even if head counts of Linux machines seems small, the
    real work handled by each machine is vastly greater. Not to mention
    that any head count of Linux machines is very unreliable since there
    are no licences to count up.
    peterwn, Jul 2, 2009

  3. In message <h2h18u$pmr$>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > I can remember Microsoft's big ad campaign trumpeting how the LSE had
    > dumped Unix to go for Windows.

    Actually, they specifically trashed Linux
    <http://tipotheday.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/reliabletimes.jpg>.

    Ahahahaha...
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 4, 2009