    <http://www.computerworlduk.com/news/it-business/3243905/london-stock-exchange-completes-first-live-linux-test/>.

    The Linux-based system will be able to perform trades 16 times faster than
    Windows.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 14, 2010

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Ron McNulty Guest

    On Oct 14, 10:49 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > They’ve already switched one major system over to Linux, looks like the main
    > one is on schedule to go live on 1st November
    > <http://www.computerworlduk.com/news/it-business/3243905/london-stock-...>.
    >
    > The Linux-based system will be able to perform trades 16 times faster than
    > Windows.

    Nice to see they are using an "open source" Oracle database????

    Regards

    Ron

    Ron McNulty, Oct 15, 2010

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 00:53:09 -0700, Ron McNulty wrote:

    > On Oct 14, 10:49 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    >> They’ve already switched one major system over to Linux, looks like the
    >> main one is on schedule to go live on 1st November
    >> <http://www.computerworlduk.com/news/it-business/3243905/london-

    stock-...>.

    >> The Linux-based system will be able to perform trades 16 times faster
    >> than Windows.

    > Nice to see they are using an "open source" Oracle database????

    Why, or rather how, is it that you think Oracle databases are, as you put
    it, "open source"?

    Oracle databases except for MySQL are most certainly not licensed under
    an open source license; and the LSE is not using MySQL.

    Sweetpea, Oct 15, 2010
  4. In message
    <>, Ron
    McNulty wrote:

    > Nice to see they are using an "open source" Oracle database????

    Technically, MySQL is an “Oracle databaseâ€.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 16, 2010
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 14:02:13 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > In message
    > <>, Ron
    > McNulty wrote:
    >
    >> Nice to see they are using an "open source" Oracle database????

    > Technically, MySQL is an “Oracle databaseâ€.

    Incorrect. It is a completely different type of database that just
    happens to now be sponsored by Oracle Inc.

    Sweetpea, Oct 16, 2010
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gordon Guest

    On 2010-10-16, Sweetpea <> wrote:
    > On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 14:02:13 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In message
    >> <>, Ron
    >> McNulty wrote:
    >>
    >>> Nice to see they are using an "open source" Oracle database????

    >> Technically, MySQL is an ?Oracle database?.

    > Incorrect. It is a completely different type of database that just
    > happens to now be sponsored by Oracle Inc.

    Before Oracle purchased it , MySql was both commerical and open source. I
    think that Orcale paid the $ out to make an investment.

    Open Office has forked since Oracle paid for it.

    Still good to see that $$$$$ companines "buying" up open source software.
    Must be good eh? They will not win as forking is always an option.

    Yes Sir I have a taxi here, feel free to find out how it operates, now where
    do you want to go?

    My destination.

    Okay that will be $ whatever.

    See, the customer wants to get there and at a reasonable cost.

    Gordon, Oct 16, 2010
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gordon Guest

    On 2010-10-15, impossible <> wrote:

    > "Ron McNulty" <> wrote in message
    >> On Oct 14, 10:49 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    >> central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    >>> They’ve already switched one major system over to Linux, looks like the
    >>> main
    >>> one is on schedule to go live on 1st November
    >>> <http://www.computerworlduk.com/news/it-business/3243905/london-stock-...>.
    >>>
    >>> The Linux-based system will be able to perform trades 16 times faster
    >>> than
    >>> Windows.

    >> Nice to see they are using an "open source" Oracle database????
    >>

    > Also, the operating system isn't so much "linux based" as a mix of linux and
    > Sun (now Oracle) Solaris. All-in-all, it would probably be fairer to call
    > the new LSE trading system Oracle-based.

    Finacially, that is.

    The point of this thread, so to speak, is that Ms Windows is going fishing
    by herself, for now. She my go with Orcale sone time soon. $$$$$ rule okay.
    Quak says how many..

    Gordon, Oct 16, 2010
  8. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 03:31:57 +0000, Gordon wrote:

    > Before Oracle purchased it , MySql was both commerical and open source.

    I think you're intending to say MySQL is available under two licenses -
    the GPL and a closed source one.

    Sweetpea, Oct 16, 2010
  9. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Squeakplea Guest

    On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 22:05:32 +0000 (UTC), Sweetpea wrote:

    > On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 00:53:09 -0700, Ron McNulty wrote:
    >
    >> On Oct 14, 10:49 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro<l...@geek-
    >> central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    >>> They’ve already switched one major system over to Linux, looks like the
    >>> main one is on schedule to go live on 1st November
    >>> <http://www.computerworlduk.com/news/it-business/3243905/london-
    >>> stock-...>.
    >>>
    >>> The Linux-based system will be able to perform trades 16 times faster
    >>> than Windows.

    >> Nice to see they are using an "open source" Oracle database????

    > Why, or rather how, is it that you think Oracle databases are, as you put
    > it, "open source"?

    Translation:

    Sweetpea has a defective sarcasmometer.

    Sweetpea is certainly consistent.
    <http://groups.google.com/group/nz.comp/msg/42fcdbf2b730d40c>

    > Oracle databases except for MySQL are most certainly not licensed under
    > an open source license; and the LSE is not using MySQL.

    Whoosh!

    --
    "The Great Firewall of China is an fictional urban legend because
    filtering the Internet would be like trying to boil the ocean"

    Squeakplea, Oct 16, 2010
  10. <http://www.computerworlduk.com/news/networking/3244936/london-stock-exchange-smashes-world-record-trade-speed-with-linux/?cmpid=sblxerrplant>:

    The London Stock Exchange has said its new Linux-based system is
    delivering world record networking speed, with 126 microsecond trading
    times.

    By the way, the NASDAQ has been running Linux for some time.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 24, 2010
  11. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gordon Guest

    On 2010-10-24, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    ><http://www.computerworlduk.com/news/networking/3244936/london-stock-exchange-smashes-world-record-trade-speed-with-linux/?cmpid=sblxerrplant>:
    >
    > The London Stock Exchange has said its new Linux-based system is
    > delivering world record networking speed, with 126 microsecond trading
    > times.

    The pradox screams at me on this one. Greed is what the stock exchange is
    about and yet will there be one shortly?

    People are about to discover, or the need to coperate.

    > By the way, the NASDAQ has been running Linux for some time.

    I rest my case.

    Gordon, Oct 25, 2010