    I can't get it from Sipgate (I suppose they check the IP address of my
    connection).

    Thx

    Eliodeo, Oct 8, 2005

  2. Eliodeo

    Guest

    On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 22:14:28 +0200, "Eliodeo" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >can you tell me which providers offer a 0207 geographic number for free or
    >at least with no monthly fees (just the set-up)? I don't live in the UK and
    >I can't get it from Sipgate (I suppose they check the IP address of my
    >connection).
    >
    >Thx

    Get someone with a UK IP to set it up for you .

    , Oct 8, 2005

  3. Eliodeo

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Eliodeo" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > can you tell me which providers offer a 0207 geographic
    > number for free or at least with no monthly fees (just
    > the set-up)? I don't live in the UK and I can't get it
    > from Sipgate (I suppose they check the IP address of my
    > connection).

    Yes, you can only get a UK geographic number from a UK IP address. I
    believe there are proxy servers you can use to get around this but I'm not
    sure how they work. Alternatively if you know anyone in the UK get them to
    set up the account for you.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Oct 8, 2005
  4. Eliodeo

    Sean Guest

    Eliodeo wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > can you tell me which providers offer a 0207 geographic number for free or
    > at least with no monthly fees (just the set-up)? I don't live in the UK and
    > I can't get it from Sipgate (I suppose they check the IP address of my
    > connection).
    >
    > Thx

    0207 number? They dont exist as such... They are 020 7.

    Sean, Oct 8, 2005
  5. Eliodeo

    Guest

    On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 22:29:40 +0100, Sean
    <> wrote:

    >Eliodeo wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> can you tell me which providers offer a 0207 geographic number for free or
    >> at least with no monthly fees (just the set-up)? I don't live in the UK and
    >> I can't get it from Sipgate (I suppose they check the IP address of my
    >> connection).
    >>
    >> Thx
    >>

    >0207 number? They dont exist as such... They are 020 7.

    Oh Christ let us not start all that nonsense again please 0207 will
    always be 0207 in many peoples eyes no matter what one or two of you
    correctness merchants think . Same with 999 and 112 I am not adverse
    to that change 112 is easier to dial than 999 anyway but it is far
    easier to remember 0207 254 7772 than 020 7254 7772 .
    Just because someone sat in an office somewhere decides to change
    things around it doesn't mean we all have to follow like a flock of
    sheep .

    , Oct 8, 2005
  6. Eliodeo

    Ivor Jones Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 22:29:40 +0100, Sean
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > Eliodeo wrote:
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > can you tell me which providers offer a 0207
    > > > geographic number for free or at least with no
    > > > monthly fees (just the set-up)? I don't live in the
    > > > UK and I can't get it from Sipgate (I suppose they
    > > > check the IP address of my connection).
    > > >
    > > > Thx
    > > >

    > > 0207 number? They dont exist as such... They are 020 7.

    > Oh Christ let us not start all that nonsense again please
    > 0207 will always be 0207 in many peoples eyes no matter
    > what one or two of you correctness merchants think .

    It's not a question of correctness, it's getting through or not getting
    through..! Try dialling just the last 7 digits in London and see what
    happens (or rather doesn't happen..!)

    For people to dial a number correctly they must know the correct format.
    It doesn't matter outside London I agree but it's *very* important inside
    it and for the sake of simplicity alone it's better if a common format is
    used.

    It's why I believe we'd be better off with a common numbering format for
    the whole country, but perhaps uk.telecom would be a better place for that
    discussion, although it's already been done to death there.

    > Same with 999 and 112 I am not adverse to that
    > change 112 is easier to dial than 999 anyway but
    > it is far easier to remember 0207 254 7772 than
    > 020 7254 7772 .

    But not to dial if you happen to be in London.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Oct 8, 2005
  7. Eliodeo

    Anon Y Mous Guest

    wrote:
    > Oh Christ let us not start all that nonsense again please 0207 will
    > always be 0207 in many peoples eyes no matter what one or two of you
    > correctness merchants think . Same with 999 and 112 I am not adverse
    > to that change 112 is easier to dial than 999 anyway but it is far
    > easier to remember 0207 254 7772 than 020 7254 7772 .
    > Just because someone sat in an office somewhere decides to change
    > things around it doesn't mean we all have to follow like a flock of
    > sheep .

    But why pander to stupidity? Do these people dial the full area code
    inside London as well? London has EIGHT DIGIT LOCAL NUMBERS! The whole
    point of changing from 7 to eight digits was to increase number
    capacity, it would be an utterly pointless exercise if all that happened
    was 0171->0207 and 0181->0208.

    I guess it will be extremely frightening when numbers beginning with
    something other than 7 or 8 start being released as will soon happen,
    IIRC numbers beginning with 3 are due to be released shortly. I notice
    the same utter stupidity in other parts of the country as well with
    Cardiff folk thinking 02920 is their area code and Bristol people
    thinking their's is 01179!!!

    Anon Y Mous, Oct 8, 2005
  8. On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 23:02:17 +0100, Anon Y Mous <..@..> wrote:

    >But why pander to stupidity?

    he's on cable. He lives on stupidity.

    Phil

    No more cable clowns :))

    Phil Thompson, Oct 8, 2005
  9. Eliodeo

    Guest

    On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 22:56:20 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >It's not a question of correctness, it's getting through or not getting
    >through..! Try dialling just the last 7 digits in London and see what
    >happens (or rather doesn't happen..!)

    If you dial the full number 0207 xxx xxxx in London it will still
    connect to the number you want. I seem to remember when the 01
    for London was changed BT making a big splash saying for London
    we all had to dial 0207 and 0208 instead of 01. Now that it would seem
    is not good enough . Why should the rest of us have to change just for
    the sake of people in London let them dial the FULL number. This is
    like a re run of the change from our old currency to the metric
    system and now it is quite likely but heaven forbid we are all going
    to have to change to the Euro .
    It really is time things stud still for a while all this chopping and
    changing just can't be doing anyone any good except for the pillocks
    sat in offices dreaming up these changes and getting paid more in a
    month than I get paid in a year for doing it .

    , Oct 9, 2005
  10. Eliodeo

    JC Guest

    On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 23:02:17 +0100, Anon Y Mous <..@..> wrote:

    >But why pander to stupidity? Do these people dial the full area code
    >inside London as well? London has EIGHT DIGIT LOCAL NUMBERS! The whole

    Sadly, most people in London now appear to dial the full number rather
    than the 8 digit local version. People i've shown 8 digit dialing seem
    amazed and confused as to how it's possible!

    This seems to be due to the fact that for 10 years (from 01 > 071/081
    in 1990 to the remerging as 020 7/8 in 2000) it was only possible to
    call across town using the full number.

    >point of changing from 7 to eight digits was to increase number
    >capacity, it would be an utterly pointless exercise if all that happened
    >was 0171->0207 and 0181->0208.

    It was. It would have been much simpler and cheaper for all if they'd
    just added additional overlay codes as they do in the US. Effectively,
    as far as most people are concerned that's just what's happening
    anyway with 020-3.

    These number changes seem to occur around every 5 years so I guess
    we're due for another one any day. 01 for London anyone?

    Rgds
    Jonathan

    JC, Oct 9, 2005
  11. Eliodeo

    Tone Guest

    On Sun, 09 Oct 2005 00:09:56 +0100, wrote:

    >On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 22:56:20 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    ><> wrote:
    >

    >>It's not a question of correctness, it's getting through or not getting
    >>through..! Try dialling just the last 7 digits in London and see what
    >>happens (or rather doesn't happen..!)

    >If you dial the full number 0207 xxx xxxx in London it will still
    >connect to the number you want. I seem to remember when the 01
    >for London was changed BT making a big splash saying for London
    >we all had to dial 0207 and 0208 instead of 01. Now that it would seem
    >is not good enough . Why should the rest of us have to change just for
    >the sake of people in London let them dial the FULL number. This is
    >like a re run of the change from our old currency to the metric
    >system and now it is quite likely but heaven forbid we are all going
    >to have to change to the Euro .
    >It really is time things stud still for a while all this chopping and
    >changing just can't be doing anyone any good except for the pillocks
    >sat in offices dreaming up these changes and getting paid more in a
    >month than I get paid in a year for doing it .

    Poor old Pete, you just cant take the modern world can you ?

    --

    Just livin' the Vida Sofa

    Tone, Oct 9, 2005
  12. Eliodeo

    Mike GW8IJT Guest

    "Sean" <> wrote in message
    > Eliodeo wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > can you tell me which providers offer a 0207 geographic number for

    free or
    > > at least with no monthly fees (just the set-up)? I don't live in the

    UK and
    > > I can't get it from Sipgate (I suppose they check the IP address of

    my
    > > connection).
    > >
    > > Thx
    > >

    > 0207 number? They dont exist as such... They are 020 7.

    Yes, the STD code for London is 020, NOT 0207.
    Regards Mike.

    Mike GW8IJT, Oct 9, 2005
  13. Eliodeo

    Mark Adamson Guest

    > It's not a question of correctness, it's getting through or not getting
    > through..! Try dialling just the last 7 digits in London and see what
    > happens (or rather doesn't happen..!)
    >
    > For people to dial a number correctly they must know the correct format.
    > It doesn't matter outside London I agree but it's *very* important inside
    > it and for the sake of simplicity alone it's better if a common format is
    > used.
    >
    > It's why I believe we'd be better off with a common numbering format for
    > the whole country, but perhaps uk.telecom would be a better place for that
    > discussion, although it's already been done to death there.
    >
    >> Same with 999 and 112 I am not adverse to that
    >> change 112 is easier to dial than 999 anyway but
    >> it is far easier to remember 0207 254 7772 than
    >> 020 7254 7772 .

    > But not to dial if you happen to be in London.
    >
    > Ivor

    Ironically sipgate sort of disagree with you Ivor, because they only provide
    020 7 numbers and not 020 8. Despite them officially having the same area
    code there will always be a distinction between them just because of the
    history of 081/071.

    So, it seems silly to pe picky when somebody puts 0207 as the description of
    a category of numbers, which they clearly are, even if only because of
    history and not because of any system in place now.

    Mark

    Mark Adamson, Oct 9, 2005
  14. Eliodeo

    Paul Cupis Guest

    Mark Adamson wrote:
    > Ironically sipgate sort of disagree with you Ivor, because they only provide
    > 020 7 numbers and not 020 8. Despite them officially having the same area
    > code there will always be a distinction between them just because of the
    > history of 081/071.
    >
    > So, it seems silly to pe picky when somebody puts 0207 as the description of
    > a category of numbers, which they clearly are, even if only because of
    > history and not because of any system in place now.

    I think I'll start writing my number[1] as 02072 221234, then, if it's
    all the same to you. I mean, why be picky when the nubmer "still
    works"[2], right?

    Except Tuesdays, when it will be 02 0722 21234.

    [1] Not actually my number, used as an example.
    [2] For definitions of still work, i.e. national dialling only.

    Paul Cupis, Oct 9, 2005
  15. wrote:

    "If you dial the full number 0207 xxx xxxx in London it will still
    connect to the number you want. I seem to remember when the 01
    for London was changed BT making a big splash saying for London
    we all had to dial 0207 and 0208 instead of 01. Now that it would seem
    is not good enough . Why should the rest of us have to change just for
    the sake of people in London let them dial the FULL number. This is
    like a re run of the change from our old currency to the metric
    system and now it is quite likely but heaven forbid we are all going
    to have to change to the Euro .
    It really is time things stud still for a while all this chopping and
    changing just can't be doing anyone any good except for the pillocks
    sat in offices dreaming up these changes and getting paid more in a
    month than I get paid in a year for doing it . "

    There is a reason you are paid so little. Most folks here can figure
    out what that reason is. Here are some clues:
    The United Kingdom changed from Pounds Shillings and Pence (LSD) to the
    DECIMAL currency system in IIRC 1971. Later, the UK changed from the
    Imperial system of measurements to the metric system. This was a
    lengthy and messy conversion. London, along with several other areas,
    has eight digit telephone numbers. Its area code is 20. The leading
    "0" is for subscriber acces to the STD system giving an STD code of
    020. In the interim London changed from 01 to 071 and 081, then to
    0171 and 0181 and finaly to 020.

    You don't understand this, but that is not our problem.

    Adrian, Los Angeles.

    Adrian Auer-Hudson, Oct 9, 2005
  16. Eliodeo

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Mark Adamson" <> wrote in
    message news:dibe3v$qq3$

    [snip]

    > Ironically sipgate sort of disagree with you Ivor,
    > because they only provide 020 7 numbers and not 020 8.
    > Despite them officially having the same area code there
    > will always be a distinction between them just because of
    > the history of 081/071.

    No, Sipgate, along with other providers, provide 020 numbers. If people
    can't get their heads round that it isn't my problem, nor is it
    Sipgate's..!

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Oct 9, 2005
  17. Eliodeo

    Sparks Guest

    "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message

    > "Mark Adamson" <> wrote in
    > message news:dibe3v$qq3$
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    >> Ironically sipgate sort of disagree with you Ivor,
    >> because they only provide 020 7 numbers and not 020 8.
    >> Despite them officially having the same area code there
    >> will always be a distinction between them just because of
    >> the history of 081/071.

    > No, Sipgate, along with other providers, provide 020 numbers. If people
    > can't get their heads round that it isn't my problem, nor is it
    > Sipgate's..!
    >
    > Ivor

    How is the statement "Sipgate provide 0207 numbers" incoreect?

    Sparks...

    Sparks, Oct 10, 2005
  18. Eliodeo

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Sparks" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > How is the statement "Sipgate provide 0207 numbers"
    > incoreect?

    Because there is no such thing as an 0207 number.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Oct 10, 2005
  19. Eliodeo

    Sparks Guest

    "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message

    > "Sparks" <> wrote in message
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    >> How is the statement "Sipgate provide 0207 numbers"
    >> incoreect?

    > Because there is no such thing as an 0207 number.

    Yes there is, there is no such area code as 0207, but that is not what I
    said was it, I simply stated Sipgate provide telephone numbers in the 0207
    range.

    If I had said, "Do Sipgate provide nubers in the 0207 area code" then that
    would have been incorrect.

    I could also say "Sipgate provide 0207043 or 011429981 or 012348184 numbers"

    Sparks, Oct 10, 2005
  20. Eliodeo

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Sparks" <> wrote in message
    > "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message
    > >

    > > "Sparks" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > [snip]
    > >
    > > > How is the statement "Sipgate provide 0207 numbers"
    > > > incoreect?

    > > Because there is no such thing as an 0207 number.

    > Yes there is

    No there isn't.

    I can go on like this all day (pulls up comfy chair and coffee/sandwiches
    <g>)

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Oct 10, 2005