LOL, there are some clowns / theives on Trademe.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Dec 23, 2008.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Check out this auction:

    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=194227383

    Then check the questions and answers (BTW, I have no intention of buying
    it).

    Then realise that, until last night, the auction was titled "DUAL CORE
    THINKPAD G41 for sale" and had the CPU speed listed as 3.7GHz, a speed that
    was never available in a ThinkPad (however some traders selling dual-core
    have the annoying habit of adding together the speed of each core and
    listing the total in the "CPU Speed" category). He's now been forced to
    ammend his details although he hasn't changed the price.

    Realistically, that single core power-hungry "desktop replacement" P4
    clunker at this age that wouldn't run on batteries long enough to check
    email and is probably worth ~$400 tops to someone who would be happy to
    leave it plugged in at all times. (He claims battery life of two hours. Most
    reviews I found claim that it would barely do that when new over three years
    ago.)

    However, if it was a dual core it's be far more valuable and the battery
    would last a lot longer.

    Man, it's a full-time job keeping these traders honest. ;-) A lot of them
    seem to lie by ommision. I saw an old laptop go for a lot more than it was
    worth the other day. To me the limiting thing was that it only had USB 1.1.
    There was in fact a question on the auction asking if it had USB 2 but it
    was left unanswered.

    Merry Christmas (Bah, humbug!) <g>

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Dec 23, 2008

  2. ~misfit~

    Guest

    On Dec 24, 12:11 pm, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    > Check out this auction:
    >
    > http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=194227383
    >
    > Then check the questions and answers (BTW, I have no intention of buying
    > it).
    >
    > Then realise that, until last night, the auction was titled "DUAL CORE
    > THINKPAD G41 for sale" and had the CPU speed listed as 3.7GHz, a speed that
    > was never available in a ThinkPad (however some traders selling dual-core
    > have the annoying habit of adding together the speed of each core and
    > listing the total in the "CPU Speed" category). He's now been forced to
    > ammend his details although he hasn't changed the price.
    >
    > Realistically, that single core power-hungry "desktop replacement" P4
    > clunker at this age that wouldn't run on batteries long enough to check
    > email and is probably worth ~$400 tops to someone who would be happy to
    > leave it plugged in at all times. (He claims battery life of two hours. Most
    > reviews I found claim that it would barely do that when new over three years
    > ago.)
    >
    > However, if it was a dual core it's be far more valuable and the battery
    > would last a lot longer.
    >
    > Man, it's a full-time job keeping these traders honest. ;-) A lot of them
    > seem to lie by ommision. I saw an old laptop go for a lot more than it was
    > worth the other day. To me the limiting thing was that it only had USB 1.1.
    > There was in fact a question on the auction asking if it had USB 2 but it
    > was left unanswered.more
    >
    > Merry Christmas (Bah, humbug!) <g>
    >
    > Cheers,
    > --
    > Shaun.

    A new base acer laptop is $800~$900 and you can get it on 2 years
    Interest free....someone would have to be mad to give even 50% on a
    second hand one off trademe IMHO. One of the reaons I hardly bother
    anymore, too many con artists and/or over-priced kit...

    regards

    Thing

    , Dec 24, 2008

  3. ~misfit~

    Murray Symon Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Check out this auction:
    >
    > http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=194227383
    >
    > Then check the questions and answers (BTW, I have no intention of buying
    > it).

    [snip]

    > Man, it's a full-time job keeping these traders honest. ;-) A lot of them
    > seem to lie by ommision. I saw an old laptop go for a lot more than it was
    > worth the other day. To me the limiting thing was that it only had USB
    > 1.1. There was in fact a question on the auction asking if it had USB 2
    > but it was left unanswered.
    >
    > Merry Christmas (Bah, humbug!) <g>
    >
    > Cheers,

    With the ThinkPads it's best to get the IBM 7-character model number
    (e.g. 2647-MMH) and enter it into the IBM web page that reports its
    original specification.
    Also there are handy documents with summarised specs for all models,
    such as:
    tabook/tawbook/ltwbook - A/T/X/R/Z series
    tbook/twbook - 2xx, 3xx, 5xx, 600, 7xx, 8xx series
    tibook/tiwbook - i series
    trbook/trwbook - older R series

    see FAQ #1 at: <http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=1689>

    You certainly can't rely on sellers to get all the specs correct!

    Murray.

    Murray Symon, Dec 24, 2008
  4. ~misfit~

    SupergoofNZ Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Check out this auction:
    >
    > http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=194227383
    >
    > Then check the questions and answers (BTW, I have no intention of buying
    > it).
    >
    > Then realise that, until last night, the auction was titled "DUAL CORE
    > THINKPAD G41 for sale" and had the CPU speed listed as 3.7GHz, a speed that
    > was never available in a ThinkPad (however some traders selling dual-core
    > have the annoying habit of adding together the speed of each core and
    > listing the total in the "CPU Speed" category). He's now been forced to
    > ammend his details although he hasn't changed the price.
    >
    > Realistically, that single core power-hungry "desktop replacement" P4
    > clunker at this age that wouldn't run on batteries long enough to check
    > email and is probably worth ~$400 tops to someone who would be happy to
    > leave it plugged in at all times. (He claims battery life of two hours. Most
    > reviews I found claim that it would barely do that when new over three years
    > ago.)
    >
    > However, if it was a dual core it's be far more valuable and the battery
    > would last a lot longer.
    >
    > Man, it's a full-time job keeping these traders honest. ;-) A lot of them
    > seem to lie by ommision. I saw an old laptop go for a lot more than it was
    > worth the other day. To me the limiting thing was that it only had USB 1.1.
    > There was in fact a question on the auction asking if it had USB 2 but it
    > was left unanswered.
    >
    > Merry Christmas (Bah, humbug!) <g>
    >
    > Cheers,

    *blam* *KAPOW!!*

    The caped crusader strikes again!

    ;o)

    Rachel

    SupergoofNZ, Dec 24, 2008
  5. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Murray Symon" typed:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> Check out this auction:
    >>
    >> http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=194227383
    >>
    >> Then check the questions and answers (BTW, I have no intention of
    >> buying it).
    >>

    > [snip]
    >>
    >> Man, it's a full-time job keeping these traders honest. ;-) A lot of
    >> them seem to lie by ommision. I saw an old laptop go for a lot more
    >> than it was worth the other day. To me the limiting thing was that
    >> it only had USB
    >> 1.1. There was in fact a question on the auction asking if it had
    >> USB 2 but it was left unanswered.
    >>
    >> Merry Christmas (Bah, humbug!) <g>
    >>
    >> Cheers,

    > With the ThinkPads it's best to get the IBM 7-character model number
    > (e.g. 2647-MMH) and enter it into the IBM web page that reports its
    > original specification.

    For sure. In fact I've just listed the specs for someone trying to sell an
    R60e who didn't have much of an idea what they had. Another trader asked for
    the number and when I looked it up I filled in the blanks for the seller.

    > Also there are handy documents with summarised specs for all models,
    > such as:
    > tabook/tawbook/ltwbook - A/T/X/R/Z series
    > tbook/twbook - 2xx, 3xx, 5xx, 600, 7xx, 8xx series
    > tibook/tiwbook - i series
    > trbook/trwbook - older R series
    >
    > see FAQ #1 at: <http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=1689>

    Cool, thanks. I have the site bookamrked, have joined up and all, but
    haven't had a chance to spend a lot of time reading there yet. It's on my
    "to do" list.

    > You certainly can't rely on sellers to get all the specs correct!

    LOL, especially the guy in the auction I'm posting about here. When first I
    asked him if he was sure that his laptop had a dual core CPU (knowing that
    particular model didn't have them) he said "Absolutely".

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Dec 24, 2008
  6. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "SupergoofNZ" typed:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Check out this auction:
    >>
    >> http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=194227383
    >>
    >> Then check the questions and answers (BTW, I have no intention of
    >> buying it).
    >>
    >> Then realise that, until last night, the auction was titled "DUAL
    >> CORE THINKPAD G41 for sale" and had the CPU speed listed as 3.7GHz,
    >> a speed that was never available in a ThinkPad (however some traders
    >> selling dual-core have the annoying habit of adding together the
    >> speed of each core and listing the total in the "CPU Speed"
    >> category). He's now been forced to ammend his details although he
    >> hasn't changed the price. Realistically, that single core power-hungry
    >> "desktop replacement" P4
    >> clunker at this age that wouldn't run on batteries long enough to
    >> check email and is probably worth ~$400 tops to someone who would be
    >> happy to leave it plugged in at all times. (He claims battery life
    >> of two hours. Most reviews I found claim that it would barely do
    >> that when new over three years ago.)
    >>
    >> However, if it was a dual core it's be far more valuable and the
    >> battery would last a lot longer.
    >>
    >> Man, it's a full-time job keeping these traders honest. ;-) A lot of
    >> them seem to lie by ommision. I saw an old laptop go for a lot more
    >> than it was worth the other day. To me the limiting thing was that
    >> it only had USB 1.1. There was in fact a question on the auction
    >> asking if it had USB 2 but it was left unanswered.
    >>
    >> Merry Christmas (Bah, humbug!) <g>

    > *blam* *KAPOW!!*
    >
    > The caped crusader strikes again!

    Hehee! It is getting a bit like that huh?

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Dec 24, 2008