[lol post] - Think I may have found my £2/3 per month unlimited calls package...

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by News Reader, Nov 26, 2006.

  1. News Reader

    News Reader Guest

    Hi,

    This is a bit of a joke post but still...

    A little digging, and a little more time in the evolution of the Finarea /
    Betamax services (particularly their VoIP outings), and more importantly the
    evolution of their customers and customer base...

    .... reveals that phone top-ups (how long for I wonder... still)... from
    France are at the rather bargaineous rates of ... (hold your breath ... **
    Drum Roll **)...

    Phone Call Charged @ ? 0.56 // You Receive: ? 0.38 // And a joyous 120
    free days!!

    The UK phone top-up used to be / started off at £1.50 for something like £1
    credit and 120 free days ... they shortly thereafter refined that down to
    same monetary amounts but only 14 free days.

    At the above rates not only is it substantially less than a third of the
    original UK pricing and offering but still gives 120 free days.

    Even with the rolling 300 minutes / 7 days... a number of parallel accounts
    approximating £2/3 a month would yield:

    ~ 6 accounts affording 1800 minutes per 7 days = 250 minutes a day which is
    probably near enough unlimited for me... (plus these calculations exclude
    the fact of 120 days rather than a month of credit and unlimited calling
    utility... which with averaging up or rounding down would mean perhaps as
    much as a 1/2/3/4/5[?]0% lift in these figures)...

    Calculated across a four month base line (120 days)... total accounts (at
    £2.50 per month)... over the entire time period = 26; or 8000 minutes / 7
    days; which = 19 hours a day (unlimited enough for me); plus after a
    complete four month cycle you have ? 15 to spend which at the prevailing
    ?0.01 no longer free rate provides another 1500 minutes... hmmm...

    Hmm... that sounds right / good... ;) / :) ...

    A certain amount of account management required but still... lol

    [you know what comes here / mind clunking and whirring - lol]

    Best wishes,

    News Reader

    P.s. Oh yes, I remember (one of) the other thing(s) I meant to add - you
    also get for your money (lol)... free calling to (all) countless (their
    free) worldwide and European destinations as well as [just] the UK :) ...
    hmm.. . nice :) ...

    News Reader, Nov 26, 2006

  2. News Reader

    andy Guest

    =?iso-8859-1?q?Re:_-_Think_I_may_have_found_my_=A32/3_per_month_unlimited_calls_package...?=

    News Reader wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > This is a bit of a joke post but still...
    >
    > A little digging, and a little more time in the evolution of the Finarea /
    > Betamax services (particularly their VoIP outings), and more importantly the
    > evolution of their customers and customer base...
    >
    > ... reveals that phone top-ups (how long for I wonder... still)... from
    > France are at the rather bargaineous rates of ... (hold your breath ... **
    > Drum Roll **)...
    >
    > Phone Call Charged @ ? 0.56 // You Receive: ? 0.38 // And a joyous 120
    > free days!!
    >
    > The UK phone top-up used to be / started off at £1.50 for something like £1
    > credit and 120 free days ... they shortly thereafter refined that down to
    > same monetary amounts but only 14 free days.

    Could you explain this a little more?

    I hadn't looked at topping-up the account until a few days ago, as I
    hadn't really used it, but now a voipcheap.com account says

    Please select an amount::
    You pay Credit you receive You will receive
    £* 1.50 £* 1.19 90 Freedays!

    Do you mean that if you enter a French number as the source of the
    top-up, you get a French premium rate number to call for the amounts
    above? Or does this only apply to some accounts?

    The best recent credit method for these accounts has been p-sms from
    easyMobile promotional credit. I wish I'd caught on earlier ...

    andy, Nov 26, 2006

  3. News Reader

    News Reader Guest

    Re: - Think I may have found my £2/3 per month unlimited calls package...

    --

    Sure...

    I think you have got it exactly right. When providing the "invoice address"
    prior to being able to make a payment into an account, if you choose France
    as the country, it will give you a French premium rate number to use (I
    understand this only works from France Telecom lines) with the 0.56 euro
    rates with 120 free days (on those Betamax operations that provide 120
    days).

    I am quite surprised and amazed that voipcheap.com are offering 90 days on
    the UK premium rate! Wow... quite good even! I am pleased you found and
    mentioned that.

    I "kind of like" the top-up by mobile thing but it does seem like a bit of a
    chronic rip-off to me... probably not so or to bad if you have excess
    (mobile) credit you need to use up... but charging you ~ £5 for a
    significantly lower amount of credit and then telling you you will only get
    60 free days when the going number of free days for a top-up of 5 Euros is
    120 seems a little rich....

    Hope that is helpful or useful and bye for now.

    Best wishes,

    News Reader

    News Reader, Nov 27, 2006
  4. News Reader

    News Reader wrote:
    > Sure...
    >
    > I think you have got it exactly right. When providing the "invoice address"
    > prior to being able to make a payment into an account, if you choose France
    > as the country, it will give you a French premium rate number to use (I
    > understand this only works from France Telecom lines) with the 0.56 euro
    > rates with 120 free days (on those Betamax operations that provide 120
    > days).
    >
    > I am quite surprised and amazed that voipcheap.com are offering 90 days on
    > the UK premium rate! Wow... quite good even! I am pleased you found and
    > mentioned that.
    >
    > I "kind of like" the top-up by mobile thing but it does seem like a bit of a
    > chronic rip-off to me... probably not so or to bad if you have excess
    > (mobile) credit you need to use up... but charging you ~ £5 for a
    > significantly lower amount of credit and then telling you you will only get
    > 60 free days when the going number of free days for a top-up of 5 Euros is
    > 120 seems a little rich....

    It looks like it is the invoice address as you mention - I tried
    entering a couple of foreign numbers in that voipcheap account but
    still was given the UK number.

    Still, I'm probably going to France for a month next year, so a
    NetAppel account at that address could be interesting, and I wonder
    what sms top-up costs there.

    I'm slightly cautious about the times shown, as you hint. In Voipbuster
    the phone number gives you 14 days as you say, but Voipcheap.com has
    90. The p-sms credit has only given 60 freedays on Voipbuster, where
    the website shows 120 days ...

    I might not have bothered with VB but it seems to be the only one so
    far that has a callthrough number and a Java callback client that can
    be installed in some mobiles ........ now I'm also wondering how long
    the free trial calls last that can be triggered off the various
    webpages, as it looks like some of the panels are only about 4k and
    should work over wap/grps ...

    andy, Nov 27, 2006
  5. News Reader

    News Reader Guest

    Re: =?iso-8859-15?Q?-_Think_I_may_have_found_my_=A32/3_per_m?==?iso-8859-15?Q?onth_unlimited_calls_package=2E=2E=2E?=

    On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 20:59:38 -0000, andy <> wrote:

    > News Reader wrote:
    >> Sure...

    ** SNIP **

    > I'm slightly cautious about the times shown, as you hint. In Voipbuster
    > the phone number gives you 14 days as you say, but Voipcheap.com has
    > 90. The p-sms credit has only given 60 freedays on Voipbuster, where
    > the website shows 120 days ...

    Generally, I am pretty cautious with anything Betamax since a similar
    issue with mobile top-ups being shown as providing 120 days only to after
    payment and accepting such terms / contract discover in fact they only
    give 60 days (whilst the website as before and at the time) continues to
    show 120 days - with the addition of seeming complete incontactability of
    the provider, operator, Betamax, anyone!

    > I might not have bothered with VB but it seems to be the only one so
    > far that has a callthrough number and a Java callback client that can
    > be installed in some mobiles ........ now I'm also wondering how long
    > the free trial calls last that can be triggered off the various
    > webpages, as it looks like some of the panels are only about 4k and
    > should work over wap/grps ...

    Hmm... VB does seem to have started acting as a lead version... I don't
    know abou any callthrough number ... can you advise more (sounds
    interesting - I will go and have a look shortly - sounds on the face of it
    like a normal PSTN access number that provides a second dial-tone /
    dialthrough facility against a given VoIPBuster account). I can guess on
    the Java callback client for isntallation on some mobiles - is that the
    same as the "panels" you talk of?

    Best wishes,

    News Reader

    News Reader, Nov 28, 2006
  6. News Reader

    News Reader wrote:
    > On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 20:59:38 -0000, andy <> wrote:
    >

    > > News Reader wrote:
    > >> Sure...
    > >>

    > ** SNIP **
    >

    > > I'm slightly cautious about the times shown, as you hint. In Voipbuster
    > > the phone number gives you 14 days as you say, but Voipcheap.com has
    > > 90. The p-sms credit has only given 60 freedays on Voipbuster, where
    > > the website shows 120 days ...
    > >

    > Generally, I am pretty cautious with anything Betamax since a similar
    > issue with mobile top-ups being shown as providing 120 days only to after
    > payment and accepting such terms / contract discover in fact they only
    > give 60 days (whilst the website as before and at the time) continues to
    > show 120 days - with the addition of seeming complete incontactability of
    > the provider, operator, Betamax, anyone!

    well yes, but ....... although it says 120 days on the front of VB, it
    does also mention except where otherwise shown; on the sms top-up page
    it says 60 days, but many people would hardly notice ...

    > > I might not have bothered with VB but it seems to be the only one so
    > > far that has a callthrough number and a Java callback client that can
    > > be installed in some mobiles ........ now I'm also wondering how long
    > > the free trial calls last that can be triggered off the various
    > > webpages, as it looks like some of the panels are only about 4k and
    > > should work over wap/grps ...
    > >

    > Hmm... VB does seem to have started acting as a lead version... I don't
    > know abou any callthrough number ... can you advise more (sounds
    > interesting - I will go and have a look shortly - sounds on the face of it
    > like a normal PSTN access number that provides a second dial-tone /
    > dialthrough facility against a given VoIPBuster account). I can guess on
    > the Java callback client for isntallation on some mobiles - is that the
    > same as the "panels" you talk of?

    If you have a Voipbuster account, take a browse in their forum ...

    As you guess, the callthrough is very similar to other Finarea ones
    like 18185, even the access number 02081802727 (18185 is ...2828). You
    need to enter caller ID of phones you want to use in the account user
    profile.

    Until now I'd rung a couple of times and dialled but not connected.
    Wondering if there is a 5c connect fee or not, I just called the home
    landline (no 0044 but it worked)

    2006-11-28 13:57:03 +00441......... 00:00:03 € 0.01

    The Java client relies on a recent version which isn't in my phones.
    " - you need JAVA (CLDC 1.1 / MIDP 2.0) most newer phones support this
    "
    https://www.voipbuster.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7269
    http://developers.sun.com/techtopics/mobility/device/device

    When talking about panel, I meant the free trial area of the various
    index pages

    andy, Nov 28, 2006
  7. News Reader

    andy wrote:

    > If you have a Voipbuster account, take a browse in their forum ...
    >
    > As you guess, the callthrough is very similar to other Finarea ones
    > like 18185, even the access number 02081802727 (18185 is ...2828). You
    > need to enter caller ID of phones you want to use in the account user
    > profile.

    I forgot to say: apparently there are access numbers abroad as well

    andy, Nov 28, 2006
  8. News Reader

    "andy" <> wrote in message

    > andy wrote:
    >
    > > If you have a Voipbuster account, take a browse in their forum ...
    > >
    > > As you guess, the callthrough is very similar to other Finarea ones
    > > like 18185, even the access number 02081802727 (18185 is ...2828). You
    > > need to enter caller ID of phones you want to use in the account user
    > > profile.
    > >

    > I forgot to say: apparently there are access numbers abroad as well

    Hi,

    Great thanks.

    The 120 day reference term with respect to the mobile top up was indeed as
    shown on the specific and final page for the SMS top-up. I was acutely aware
    and wary of checking every letter shown on every page... and indeed... they
    summarily ripped me off... still .. win some lose some and probably win more
    on balance with Finarea / Betamax.

    Best wishes,

    News Reader

    P.s. Still a little disconcerting... but their you go.

    News Reader, Nov 28, 2006