Logon problems - Corrupted Profile?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Mike T., Sep 6, 2006.

  1. Mike T.

    Mike T. Guest

    I have a workgroup set up here, with the same username/pw combinations on
    all machines. However, when I try to log on to my x64 box, I sometimes (but
    not always) get an error message saying that a temporary profile is being
    loaded with the following messages:

    Windows has backed up this user's profile. Windows will automatically try to
    use the backed up profile the next time this user logs on.

    (I click OK)

    Windows cannot find the local profile and is logging you on with a temporary
    profile. Changes you make to this profile will be lost when you log off.

    After a reboot, everything works as it should. This account was set up as a
    Power User on each machine, but the same thing happens when I add the
    account to the Administrators group. This only happens on the x64 box...I
    have no problems with the other machines. I have My Documents shared on each
    computer so I can access from anywhere, but do not use roaming profiles. I
    have no problems accessing my data remotely from any machine to any machine.
    Could this be an issue?

    Here are the relevant entries in Event Viewer:

    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Userenv
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1515
    Date: 04.09.2006
    Time: 23:33:12
    User: NEWAMD\Mike
    Computer: NEWAMD
    Windows has backed up this user's profile. Windows will automatically try to
    use the backed up profile the next time this user logs on.

    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Userenv
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1511
    Date: 04.09.2006
    Time: 23:33:13
    User: NEWAMD\Mike
    Computer: NEWAMD
    Windows cannot find the local profile and is logging you on with a temporary
    profile. Changes you make to this profile will be lost when you log off.

    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Userenv
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1502
    Date: 04.09.2006
    Time: 23:33:12
    User: NEWAMD\Mike
    Computer: NEWAMD
    Windows cannot load the locally stored profile. Possible causes of this
    error include insufficient security rights or a corrupt local profile. If
    this problem persists, contact your network administrator.

    DETAIL - The process cannot access the file because it is being used by
    another process.

    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Userenv
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1508
    Date: 04.09.2006
    Time: 23:33:10
    User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    Computer: NEWAMD
    Windows was unable to load the registry. This is often caused by
    insufficient memory or insufficient security rights.

    DETAIL - The process cannot access the file because it is being used by
    another process. for C:\Documents and Settings\Mike\ntuser.dat

    Thanks,
    Mike
    Mike T., Sep 6, 2006

  2. Mike T.

    Larry Hodges Guest

    First, my advice on good practice...

    After installing a fresh OS, you should ALWAYS immediately create another
    profile with admin rights and use that for everything. This leaves your
    default administrator account in tact and you can always fall back on it
    when something like this happens.

    On to your issue...

    Others may have more specific advice for you. I've had to deal with this in
    the past. What I did was:

    1. Log back into my original Administrator account.
    2. Copy all the data from the corrupt profile. (In fact, back up the entire
    profile in the event you missed something.)
    3. Delete all the profile's folders in Documents and Settings. (You did back
    it up right?)
    4. You shouldn't need to delete the User account for the profile. Simply
    log off as Administrator, then log into your profile. It will re-create all
    the profile folders.
    5. Copy over the data from the backup. (You did remember to back up right?)

    NOTE:
    When Exploring your Documents and Settings folder, you may see several
    profiles related to this user since you've been having problems. (Windows
    will sometimes create a second version of them when issues like this come
    up.) Make sure you delete all of them. You did back them all up right?

    Good luck. Fairly straight forward. Did I mention don't forget to back up
    first?

    -Larry

    Larry Hodges, Sep 7, 2006