Logon Problem After SP1 Installed

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Wylee, Mar 20, 2008.

  1. Wylee

    Wylee Guest

    I installed SP1 for Vista x64 yesterday and have encountered the following
    problem since then:

    Computer boots up fine and allows me (or the other user) to logon without
    difficulty.
    After logon all works as expected.
    I will then 'switch user' and my wife will logon
    Then we get a problem (same problem presents itself if she logs on first,
    then logs off and I log on, or we switch user, basically problem presents
    itself when first user 'switch user' or' logs off' and another user logs on,
    the problem is with the second user; interestingly, the problem also occurs
    if I log on, log off, then log on again! Problem solved after system reset).
    The logon begins and the desktop appears.
    It seems to me like the desktop will not refresh properly. The gadgets do
    not appear; I can no longer single-click a desktop icon (have to
    double-click); the taskbar remains in the up position (won't auto-hide) and
    when I do launch a program the button does not appear in the taskbar; the
    taskbar icons do not appear in the taskbar. All these problems could be
    caused by some sort of video card problem, maybe? Anyway, my computer specs
    are below.

    Windowes Vista Ultimate x64 SP1 (licensed copy)
    Intel Core 2 CPU 6600 @ 2.4GHz
    4.00GB RAM
    Nvidia GeForce 7950GT

    I have completed some initial research on this problem without success.

    Any ideas???
    Wylee, Mar 20, 2008

  2. Wylee

    Ervit Guest

    I have a similar problem on Home Premium x86 after the SP1 installation. When
    switching users, it's as if the desktop can't finish loading. Task manager
    shows static information (CPU usage around 80% but doesn't change and
    Performance tab no showing CPU load dynamics in the graphs). Firefox and
    Thunderbird don't start, but IE does. Switching back to the first user
    doesn't exhibit any problems.
    Ervit, Mar 20, 2008

  3. Wylee

    Wylee Guest

    Very similar ... please let me know if anyone locates a solution ... this is
    very annoying!

    Wylee, Mar 22, 2008