    not remember to run a script before shutting down.

    So does anywho know how to install a logoff script, I'm looking in the
    registry but just can't find it!

    Rosco, Oct 2, 2006

  2. Rosco

    Guest

    First, I have zero experience w/ XP Home

    Have you tried running mmc (start\run\mmc)?

    Once it pops up w/ Console1, do the following:

    File\Add/Remove Snap-in\Add\Group Policy Object Editor\Local
    Computer\Finish\Close\OK

    Next, I set the following:

    \Local Computer Policy\Computer Configuration\Administrative
    Templates\System\Scripts

    Run logon scripts synchronously = Enabled
    Run startup scripts asynchronously = Disabled
    Run startup scripts visible = Enabled
    Run shutdown scripts visible = Enabled

    \Local Computer Policy\Computer Configuration\Administrative
    Templates\System\Logon

    Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon = Enabled

    \Local Computer Policy\User Configuration\Administrative
    Templates\System\Scripts

    Run logon scripts synchronously = Enabled
    Run logon scripts visible = Enabled
    Run logoff scripts visible = Enabled

    \Local Computer Policy\User Configuration\Windows Settings\Scripts
    (Logon/Logoff)\Logon

    Script Name = cmd
    Script Parameters = /c "Logon.cmd"

    Click "Show Files" and put your Logon.cmd here.

    Reboot to get everything sorted.

    Hope this helps.

    Rick Valstar
    Star Consulting
    r + last name + at + gmail + dot + com

    , Oct 3, 2006

  3. Rosco

    Guest

    wrote:

    >First, I have zero experience w/ XP Home
    >
    >Have you tried running mmc (start\run\mmc)?
    >
    >Once it pops up w/ Console1, do the following:
    >
    >File\Add/Remove Snap-in\Add\Group Policy Object Editor\Local
    >Computer\Finish\Close\OK

    It was a real nice try and would of work'd but....
    XPhome doesn't have GPEDIT.MSC or group policies

    All the NT OS's have GPEDIT.MSC except XPhome.

    --
    The Day Against DRM
    http://defectivebydesign.org/en/blog/ten_things_for_oct3

    , Oct 4, 2006
  4. Rosco

    Guest

    Looks like you can get it to work if you can borrow a couple of files
    from an XP Pro install.

    http://fhctech.org/fhc/systems/policyeditor.htm states:

    "
    Windows XP Home does not include GPEDIT; XP Home users can apparently
    run this program if they have access to files from an XP Pro (or
    possibly Win 2000?) installation, by doing the following:

    * Copy the files gpedit.dll and fde.dll from \WINDOWS\System32 on the
    XP Pro machine to \WINDOWS\System32 on the XP Home machine.

    * From a command prompt issue the following commands on the XP Home
    machine: regsvr32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\gpedit.dll

    * regsvr32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\fde.dll Open the Microsoft Management
    Console (mmc.exe) and select File->Add/Remove Snap-in... Then click
    Add. Select the Group Policy snap-in from the list of installed snap
    ins.

    You can now edit the Group Policy on the local machine. But XP Home
    doesn't support the same feature set as XP Pro, so the policies you are
    looking for might be missing.
    "

    No implied warranty. Proceed at your own risk.

    Cheers,

    Rick

    , Oct 4, 2006
  5. Rosco

    Guest

    wrote:

    >Looks like you can get it to work if you can borrow a couple of files
    >from an XP Pro install.
    >
    >http://fhctech.org/fhc/systems/policyeditor.htm states:
    >
    >"
    >Windows XP Home does not include GPEDIT; XP Home users can apparently
    >run this program if they have access to files from an XP Pro (or
    >possibly Win 2000?) installation, by doing the following:
    >
    >* Copy the files gpedit.dll and fde.dll from \WINDOWS\System32 on the
    >XP Pro machine to \WINDOWS\System32 on the XP Home machine.
    >
    >* From a command prompt issue the following commands on the XP Home
    >machine: regsvr32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\gpedit.dll
    >
    >* regsvr32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\fde.dll Open the Microsoft Management
    >Console (mmc.exe) and select File->Add/Remove Snap-in... Then click
    >Add. Select the Group Policy snap-in from the list of installed snap
    >ins.
    >
    >You can now edit the Group Policy on the local machine. But XP Home
    >doesn't support the same feature set as XP Pro, so the policies you are
    >looking for might be missing.
    >"
    >
    >No implied warranty. Proceed at your own risk.
    >
    >Cheers,

    Just so happens I have Home and Pro. I copied and registered the dll's
    (I kinda wanted Group policies on my home).

    It works, but is very limited, very. all you can do is Internet
    Explorer Maintenance .

    The path goes as far as \Local Computer Policy\Computer Configuration.

    If the OP want's to give it a try, the two DLL's mention are available
    here:
    http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=E37D7FDF35755C2F

    It was a good try!

    --
    http://www.onahorse.com/

    , Oct 4, 2006
  6. Rosco

    Rosco Guest

    cried out

    > wrote:
    >
    >>Looks like you can get it to work if you can borrow a couple of
    >>files from an XP Pro install.
    >>
    >>http://fhctech.org/fhc/systems/policyeditor.htm states:
    >>
    >>"
    >>Windows XP Home does not include GPEDIT; XP Home users can
    >>apparently run this program if they have access to files from an
    >>XP Pro (or possibly Win 2000?) installation, by doing the
    >>following:
    >>
    >>* Copy the files gpedit.dll and fde.dll from \WINDOWS\System32 on
    >>the XP Pro machine to \WINDOWS\System32 on the XP Home machine.
    >>
    >>* From a command prompt issue the following commands on the XP
    >>Home machine: regsvr32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\gpedit.dll
    >>
    >>* regsvr32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\fde.dll Open the Microsoft
    >>Management Console (mmc.exe) and select File->Add/Remove
    >>Snap-in... Then click Add. Select the Group Policy snap-in from
    >>the list of installed snap ins.
    >>
    >>You can now edit the Group Policy on the local machine. But XP
    >>Home doesn't support the same feature set as XP Pro, so the
    >>policies you are looking for might be missing.
    >>"
    >>
    >>No implied warranty. Proceed at your own risk.
    >>
    >>Cheers,

    > Just so happens I have Home and Pro. I copied and registered the
    > dll's (I kinda wanted Group policies on my home).
    >
    > It works, but is very limited, very. all you can do is Internet
    > Explorer Maintenance .
    >
    > The path goes as far as \Local Computer Policy\Computer
    > Configuration.
    >
    > If the OP want's to give it a try, the two DLL's mention are
    > available here:
    > http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?

    action=download&ufid=E37D7FDF
    > 35755C2F
    >
    > It was a good try!

    thanks, i will give that a try

    Rosco, Oct 5, 2006
  7. Rosco

    Guest

    Well then, looks like you need to do this the old fashioned way -- with
    a small EXE that runs invisibly (optional icon in system tray) and will
    respond to the appropriate QueryUnload event of old or the FormClosing
    event we find in today's VB.NET 2005.

    For Microsoft, I still find VB the first choice (no C++ or C# flames,
    please ;-).

    Question is, are you much of a programmer and what programming tools do
    you have?

    I should have my VB.NET 2005 version of this ready in a day or two that
    can accept a BAT or CMD file as an argument and, optionally, displays
    an icon in the system tray. I do have other billable things that take
    precedence.

    You would / should run this logoff script and any logon scripts from
    the registry rather than the Startup menu as users will be "less able"
    to defeat them

    You'll be able to enter the command string as a REG_SZ "String value"
    directly in RegEdit or create an appropriate REG file containing:

    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
    "LogonScript"="path with options using \" to embed double quotes"
    "LogoffScript"="path with options using \" to embed double quotes"
    <EOF>

    So let me know what your programming capabilities are. I'll post the
    source once completed. I'd be more than happy to email you a zipped
    installer once I finish.

    No implied warranty of any kind ;-)

    Ciao,

    Rick Valstar