Logon Failure - using Taskkill.exe

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?dXNhc21h?=, Jul 12, 2005.

  1. I have 2 peer-to-peer networks, both using a mix of XPPro and XPHome.

    When I try to use taskkill.exe to kill a process on another system (from an
    XPPro machine) I first get asked to enter the password for the system that
    I'm on - rather than the one on the system that I'm trying to kill the
    process on. Once I do that, I get the following error message:

    Error: Logon failure: Unknown user name or bad password.

    Here's an example of the syntax that causes this:

    taskkill /s cindy /f /im notepad.exe /t

    When I press enter, I get this....

    Type the password for PUTZ\FUBAR:

    This is the machine I'm working on - not the one I'm trying to use taskkill
    on.

    When I enter the password and press return, I get the above error message?

    Since I'm a networking neophyte, nothing has been done with these networks
    other than to set them up with the Windows Networking Wizard.

    Any help would be sincerely appreciated!

    - John

    =?Utf-8?B?dXNhc21h?=, Jul 12, 2005