Logitech Setpoint on Vista 64, install solution

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Frobinrobin, Oct 21, 2007.

  1. Frobinrobin

    Frobinrobin Guest

    I had a problem installing Logitech Setpoint 64 bit Vista version.
    Whilst I had searched the Logitech site for solutions none of them
    worked, I have found the cause and the solution ... this should even
    apply to some other software installations on Vista.

    Problem: Logitech Setpoint 4.0 for 64Bit Vista will not complete the
    installation.
    Cause: Admin rights not applied to the "correct" executable, due to
    unzipping of files to temp dir.
    Solution:
    1) Run the Logitech Setpoint installer as Administrator
    This will unzip the actual installation files to a temp folder within
    C:\Users\UrUserName\AppData\Local\Temp\
    2) Locate the real installation files (search for setup.exe within the
    above folder) mine was called "pft3786.tmp" - within this folder are
    the actual set up files.
    3) Run the Setup.exe in this folder AS ADMINISTRATOR and the software
    will install correctly.

    Hope this helps anyone with similar install problems.

    Frobinrobin, Oct 21, 2007

  2. Another solution that generally works is to open a cmd (or PowerShell)
    windows As Administrator. From that window, run the .exe to unzip it. Then
    "cd /d %temp%" to change to the unzip directory, and run the setup program
    it dumped there. (it may be in a subdirectory of %temp%.)

    During this process, your context stays as administrator, so you shouldn't
    be prompted for UAC again.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64