Logitech MX-1000 Laser Mouse Problems

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by David, Mar 20, 2006.

  1. David

    David Guest

    I bought a new computer last year. It's a Dell Dimension XPS Gen 4. I
    decided not to get a mouse with the system and instead bought a
    Logitech MX-1000 Laser Mouse from Tiger Direct. I hooked the mouse up
    to a USB port and it worked. However, I quickly noticed the mouse
    would sometimes not work when I booted my computer. Later I realized
    the mouse was flagged in Device Manager with an error about the device
    could not start. I could remove the entry in Device Manager and scan
    for hardware changes and many times it would start working. This
    happens about 50% of the time I boot my computer, other 50% of the time
    the mouse works fine.

    Logitech support suggested I try connecting the mouse to the PS/2 port
    via the supplied adapter. After doing that the mouse wouldn't work at
    all and didn't even show up in device manager. They then suggested I
    hook it to my other computer, an old Dell Dimension XPS R400. The
    mouse seemed to work fine on the old computer on the USB and PS/2
    ports. I didn't use it very long on the old computer but everything
    worked fine while I tried it.

    So I thought the PS/2 port might be bad on my new computer. I verified
    it was turned on in the BIOS and hooked up another mouse and sure
    enough the old mouse works fine on the PS/2 port of the new computer.
    So the PS/2 port is good.

    I've also tried upgrading my systems BIOS. Resetting the BIOS back to
    factory defaults. Switching USB ports the mouse was plugged into.
    Using different adapters on the PS/2 port.

    To this day the mouse only works about 50% of the time when the
    computer is booted when on the USB port, and never on the PS/2 port.

    I did plug the mouse into the PS/2 port and boot from a DOS disc w/
    mouse driver and the mouse still was NOT detected. I plugged in the
    old mouse from my other computer, on the PS/2 port also, and it was
    detected in DOS.

    So my computer hates this mouse for some reason. Sorry for the long
    post but I've been through 10 months of hell trying to figure out what
    is up with this thing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Dave

    David, Mar 20, 2006

  2. David

    Cub Guest

    "David" <> wrote in message
    >I bought a new computer last year. It's a Dell Dimension XPS Gen 4. I
    > decided not to get a mouse with the system and instead bought a
    > Logitech MX-1000 Laser Mouse from Tiger Direct. I hooked the mouse up
    > to a USB port and it worked. However, I quickly noticed the mouse
    > would sometimes not work when I booted my computer. Later I realized
    > the mouse was flagged in Device Manager with an error about the device
    > could not start. I could remove the entry in Device Manager and scan
    > for hardware changes and many times it would start working. This
    > happens about 50% of the time I boot my computer, other 50% of the time
    > the mouse works fine.
    >
    > Logitech support suggested I try connecting the mouse to the PS/2 port
    > via the supplied adapter. After doing that the mouse wouldn't work at
    > all and didn't even show up in device manager. They then suggested I
    > hook it to my other computer, an old Dell Dimension XPS R400. The
    > mouse seemed to work fine on the old computer on the USB and PS/2
    > ports. I didn't use it very long on the old computer but everything
    > worked fine while I tried it.
    >
    > So I thought the PS/2 port might be bad on my new computer. I verified
    > it was turned on in the BIOS and hooked up another mouse and sure
    > enough the old mouse works fine on the PS/2 port of the new computer.
    > So the PS/2 port is good.
    >
    > I've also tried upgrading my systems BIOS. Resetting the BIOS back to
    > factory defaults. Switching USB ports the mouse was plugged into.
    > Using different adapters on the PS/2 port.
    >
    > To this day the mouse only works about 50% of the time when the
    > computer is booted when on the USB port, and never on the PS/2 port.
    >
    > I did plug the mouse into the PS/2 port and boot from a DOS disc w/
    > mouse driver and the mouse still was NOT detected. I plugged in the
    > old mouse from my other computer, on the PS/2 port also, and it was
    > detected in DOS.
    >
    > So my computer hates this mouse for some reason. Sorry for the long
    > post but I've been through 10 months of hell trying to figure out what
    > is up with this thing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Dave

    WHAT OS , is it the same on both comps ?

    Any additional detail of the device error.

    Are you connection the device via a hub or direct in to a mobo socket (I
    have a hub that won't drive a couple of usb devices, but the devices work
    fine plugged into the mobo)

    Drivers, latest revision ??

    BTW a new mouse would have cost you less than the time you spent trying to
    fix this problem ;-)

    Regards

    Cub

    Cub, Mar 20, 2006

  3. David

    Dan Evans Guest

    "David" <> wrote in message

    > So my computer hates this mouse for some reason. Sorry for the long
    > post but I've been through 10 months of hell trying to figure out what
    > is up with this thing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    Get a new mouse.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Mar 20, 2006
  4. David

    David Guest

    It's Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005. All updates are installed.
    SetPoint is the newest version.

    Here is the thing though. It had the same problems with the Windows
    mouse drivers after a fresh install of Windows. This was before
    SetPoint and pretty much everything else was installed.

    Also it won't work in DOS when connected to a USB port.

    I don't know what kind of warranty this mouse has on it but I think it
    may be time to call Logitech and ask them to replace it.

    Thanks,
    Dave

    David, Mar 20, 2006
  5. David

    David Guest

    I should have said "it won't work in DOS when connected to the PS/2
    port", not USB port.

    David, Mar 20, 2006
  6. David

    Dan Evans Guest

    "David" <> wrote in message
    >I should have said "it won't work in DOS when connected to the PS/2
    > port", not USB port.

    Who are you replying to? In any case, it's only a mouse, it's not working,
    get a new one. If you feel that you need to go through the rigamarole of
    RMA'ing it, then RMA - but in any case, just replace it.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Mar 23, 2006
  7. David

    David Guest

    Dan,

    It just makes me mad I paid good money for it and it never worked
    right. I am glad to say I was told to call the Logitech support # by
    their e-mail support department. After about 5 mins on the phone the
    guy arranged to get a new one sent out to me free of charge. So
    hopefully that will take care of the problem.

    Thanks,
    David

    David, Mar 25, 2006