Logitech Mouse problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by John Dean, May 22, 2005.

  1. John Dean

    John Dean Guest

    Have an oldish Logitech optical wheel mouse - Model No. M-BJ58, Part No.
    830513-1000.
    Works fine in every respect bar one. In addition to the scroll function,
    the wheel has an extra feature accessed by pressing the wheel once - a
    "webwheel" which shows up as a small graphic with a variety of functions
    like "open favorites", "refresh" and a customisable section for half a
    dozen URLs.
    (I know all these functions can be accessed quite easily in other ways
    but I like the webwheel, especially for quick linking to the sites I use
    most.)
    What happens is the wheel mouse function occasionally disappears -
    usually when there are several processes going on on the computer at the
    same time (using XP Home, IE 6 BTW). All other mouse functions continue
    to function perfectly, including the scroll on the wheel. I can get the
    wheel mouse function back by simply rebooting but it seems to me there
    should be an easier / quicker way. However, I can't see any help on
    Logitech's site. Any ideas?
    --
    John Dean
    Oxford

    John Dean, May 22, 2005

  2. John Dean

    Barney Guest

    "John Dean" <> had
    writtennews:d6q2id$61j$:

    > Have an oldish Logitech optical wheel mouse - Model No. M-BJ58,
    > Part No. 830513-1000.
    > Works fine in every respect bar one. In addition to the scroll
    > However, I can't see any help on Logitech's site. Any ideas?

    Bad battery? I use the trackball version but it warns me about low
    battery level. Hmmm. Did you recheck it in the control panel/mouse
    properties?

    --
    Barney __________________________
    Wisdom from the sleeping dogs!

    Barney, May 22, 2005

  3. John Dean wrote:
    > Have an oldish Logitech optical wheel mouse - Model No. M-BJ58, Part No.

    <snip>

    If it's an "oldish" mouse, you probably haven't updated drivers for it.
    Download and install the latest from Logitech. Failing that, new M-BJ58
    mice are going for about $13US.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, May 22, 2005
  4. John Dean

    John Dean Guest

    Barney wrote:
    > "John Dean" <> had
    > writtennews:d6q2id$61j$:
    >
    >> Have an oldish Logitech optical wheel mouse - Model No. M-BJ58,
    >> Part No. 830513-1000.
    >> Works fine in every respect bar one. In addition to the scroll
    >> However, I can't see any help on Logitech's site. Any ideas?

    > Bad battery? I use the trackball version but it warns me about low
    > battery level. Hmmm. Did you recheck it in the control panel/mouse
    > properties?

    No battery - it's a corded mouse.
    --
    John Dean
    Oxford

    John Dean, May 22, 2005
  5. John Dean

    John Dean Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > John Dean wrote:
    >> Have an oldish Logitech optical wheel mouse - Model No. M-BJ58, Part
    >> No.

    > <snip>
    >
    > If it's an "oldish" mouse, you probably haven't updated drivers for
    > it. Download and install the latest from Logitech. Failing that, new
    > M-BJ58 mice are going for about $13US.

    Good thought. Found a newer driver on the Logitech site and will see how
    things go.
    --
    John Dean
    Oxford

    John Dean, May 22, 2005
  6. John Dean wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> John Dean wrote:
    >>> Have an oldish Logitech optical wheel mouse - Model No. M-BJ58, Part
    >>> No.

    >> <snip>

    >> If it's an "oldish" mouse, you probably haven't updated drivers for
    >> it. Download and install the latest from Logitech. Failing that, new
    >> M-BJ58 mice are going for about $13US.

    > Good thought. Found a newer driver on the Logitech site and will see how
    > things go.

    Report back, willya? Thanks.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, May 23, 2005
  7. John Dean

    Paul B. Guest

    John Dean wrote:

    > Good thought. Found a newer driver on the Logitech site and will see how
    > things go.

    Be aware that Logitech has dumbed down their drivers. HyperJump,
    for instance, is no longer available.

    p.

    Paul B., May 23, 2005
  8. Paul B. wrote:

    > John Dean wrote:

    >> Good thought. Found a newer driver on the Logitech site and will see how
    >> things go.

    > Be aware that Logitech has dumbed down their drivers. HyperJump,
    > for instance, is no longer available.

    That's a shame. They used to be really good with 'em.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, May 23, 2005
  9. John Dean

    Paul B. Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Paul B. wrote:
    >

    >>John Dean wrote:

    >>>Good thought. Found a newer driver on the Logitech site and will see how
    >>>things go.

    >>Be aware that Logitech has dumbed down their drivers. HyperJump,
    >>for instance, is no longer available.

    > That's a shame. They used to be really good with 'em.

    That's exactly what I told them also. My current mouse is not a
    Logitech.

    p.

    Paul B., May 23, 2005
  10. John Dean

    John Dean Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > John Dean wrote:
    >> Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >>> <snip>

    >>> If it's an "oldish" mouse, you probably haven't updated drivers for
    >>> it. Download and install the latest from Logitech. Failing that,
    >>> new M-BJ58 mice are going for about $13US.

    >> Good thought. Found a newer driver on the Logitech site and will see
    >> how things go.

    > Report back, willya? Thanks.

    Loaded the new driver. The option to use the "webwheel" function no
    longer exists in the configuration menu. So now I've lost it for good
    :>{
    --
    John Dean
    Oxford

    John Dean, May 23, 2005
  11. John Dean

    Paul B. Guest

    John Dean wrote:

    > Loaded the new driver. The option to use the "webwheel" function no
    > longer exists in the configuration menu. So now I've lost it for good
    > :>{

    Try a fresh install of an older driver version. The original
    install could have become corrupted.

    p.

    Paul B., May 24, 2005
  12. John Dean wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> John Dean wrote:

    >>> Good thought. Found a newer driver on the Logitech site and will see
    >>> how things go.

    >> Report back, willya? Thanks.

    > Loaded the new driver. The option to use the "webwheel" function no
    > longer exists in the configuration menu. So now I've lost it for good
    >:>{

    Well, I've been a lotta help, lately, eh? :)

    Get it back by finding an older driver -- if you don't have the release
    you were using when the issue began. (If you still have it, use that
    one, of course.)

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, May 24, 2005