Logitech G15

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by XhArD, Mar 19, 2006.

  1. XhArD

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    Just thought I might start a thread for this groovy keyboard, since there isn't one for it in particular. Since Modfather has one too, I figured he might be interested in some of the stuff I've found for it. Not sure how long it's been since you went to www.g15forums.com, but Ray made this awesome winamp app that has some uber groovy features.

    http://www.g15forums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1378&start=0

    To check the forum thread about it, download link in first post.

    I took a video of the groovy features it can do, M-Key VU Meter for example, and the Easter Egg feature of VU LED Backlight :)
    http://media.putfile.com/G15-Rays-App
    The playlist function is very, very useful for me, and by the way, if you thought it was a little slow scrolling through the list in the video, you can hold ctrl and it scrolls through 2000 songs (my playlist) in about 1 turn of the volume wheel. It scrolls through 5% of the list per "click" or notch in the wheel.

    It'd be cool if it were possible to make sections of the backlight turn on and off like the M-Key VU, but I don't expect that since they all work together. :p

    The backlight VU has two things it can do; dim and bright, OR off, dim and bright. The dim and bright one is hardly noticeable, so I use it on off mode too.

    By the way, I use headphones, that's why there's no music with the VU things.
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2006
    XhArD, Mar 19, 2006

  2. XhArD

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    I don't usually use Winamp, only once in a while on this machine. My only problem with the G15 now is that the darned keys are wiping off. About 1/3rd of all my keys are just blue blurs now. I sent email to Logitech and they keep telling me I have to call their offices from 10am to 5pm. I'm not up during those hours so they won't issue an RMA for me. Ugh!

    Anyway, if I CAN get it replaced I intend to use clear nailpolish on the keys to protect them. If you haven't done so yet, get some and protect those keys!
    The Modfather, Mar 19, 2006

  3. XhArD

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    your sister would be good for the nailpolish x :p

    if i had a G15 i would be writting a Skype,MSN, CSS, WoW, and tons more stuff. also allowing you to interface with msn so u can talk on the LCD by using a button :)
    unholy, Mar 19, 2006
  4. XhArD

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    talk on the lcd by only a button huh? Too bad that'd SUCK ASS. MSN Messages are too long to type like that, lol. WoW things? Been done already, people have been banned for using them. The CSS ones are the same, it's picked up as a hack. Skype would be possible though.
    XhArD, Mar 20, 2006
  5. XhArD

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    i mean liek u hit one button it defocuses from the game and types into msn or skype :)
    unholy, Mar 20, 2006
  6. XhArD

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    Whats the point? Alt Tab does the same thing. If you mean something like XFire, then it's nothing in particular to do with the LCD. Just an external program that runs in front of whatever game, if you choose to make it do that.
    XhArD, Mar 20, 2006
  7. XhArD

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Yeah, the LCD is good for displaying data like email counts, music data, fan temps, weather reports, short newsfeeds, etc. So how come they're considering using a G15 a hack though? I haven't tried doing that yet, there's nothing for CoD2 or UT2k4 for it that I've found but, how would it be cheating?
    The Modfather, Mar 20, 2006
  8. XhArD

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    your accessing the memory for CSS, it detects this as a threat to it stablity or a threat to hacking, even though its not changin anything the access of this secure memory is actually illegal if u read the Terms and Conditions, thats why their keys get baned. And with WoW, they will fukn own u if they find out ur doing something like that.
    unholy, Mar 20, 2006
  9. XhArD

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    ^^^ What he said. You access the game memory. the WoW ones have been a bit iffy; people have spoken to Blizzard officials about it, and have been told it's ok. Other people have emailed Blizzards support department, and been told they can't. It's a risk that some people would be willing to take, others not.
    XhArD, Mar 21, 2006
  10. XhArD

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    That's a cool keyboard. I think it costs too much right now however, and this thing about the writing on the keys rubbing off is a real problem.
    bigal, Mar 21, 2006
  11. XhArD

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    Yeah, I've heard of the keys wearing off, but I've had mine for a coupla months now, no problems here yet.
    XhArD, Mar 21, 2006
  12. XhArD

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    I called Logitech and they're RMA'ing me a new one. I'll use the old nail polish technique on that one and try scraping this one bare to see how it looks.

    As for it being cheating, that's just total bullshit. Claiming that because a piece of hardware uses certain memory addresses it's a cheat? They need to get their heads out of their collective asses.
    The Modfather, Mar 21, 2006
  13. XhArD

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    It's not that your accessing the memory to see statistics etc; it's that apparently if you can access the game memory, you can modify/edit parts of it or something, and you can cheat that way. I'm not a programmer or anything, so I dunno exactly what it could allow you to do.
    XhArD, Mar 22, 2006
  14. XhArD

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    ummm if u know how memory worked within windows u would see why.

    If you know what a variable is then thats basic memory.

    Windows Memory:

    Windows memory is different to DOS or Linux(obiviously). this is because windows attempts to protect programs from being unstable, when memory is stored, the program gettings a memory address (usally 3 Hex characters, eg FF00FF, although this is not correct because we have more then 16581375 bits on a module, so it uses more hex charatcers as it gets bigger.) Windows knows whats programs own what memory and it attempts to keep them from swapping into each other (allowing them to overtake would cause instablity)

    Although if u know how to access memory when coding, u are able to change what ever you want, technically u can call it hacking but infact its not, and its not cheating either, infact its so far fetched a virus could ""possibly"" give u moeny in wow, or no clip or "wall hax" in source. But infact when u read the license agreement to most programs it says stuff about if u change the software or memory it uses then u can legally be sued for it, so they are actually do them a favour.

    BUT, if they were a wise company they would allow "Shared Memory" of the variables that people many want to see, such as Health, dead, Ammo and gun and so forth.

    Its not wise to change memory unless u KNOW exactly what ur attempting to change, and certain programs are made inside the game itself to detect memory trespassing :p
    unholy, Mar 22, 2006