    Please can anyone tell me how to correct this, uninstalling Pinnacle doesn't
    restore things the way they were.

    TIA.
    ian field, Dec 18, 2007

  2. ian field

    Evan Platt Guest

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=bypass login screen xp&btnG=Google Search
    Evan Platt, Dec 18, 2007

  3. ian field

    Gordon Guest

    "ian field" <> wrote in message
    > Previously my PC booted directly into the desktop, but since installing
    > Pinnacle/Dazzle instant DVD recorder, the PC boots to a login screen with
    > an icon for my name. This is very inconvenient as I have to intervene to
    > complete booting up instead of doing something else while the PC gets
    > going.
    >
    > Please can anyone tell me how to correct this, uninstalling Pinnacle
    > doesn't restore things the way they were.
    >
    > TIA.

    Do you connect to the internet? Do you have sensitive data on your machine?
    Although you may be the only USER, do other people see the machine or could
    have access to it when your back is turned?
    if you say yes to any of those then you should a) keep the log-in and FAR
    more importantly, b) PASSWORD it!
    Gordon, Dec 18, 2007
  4. ian field

    ian field Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > "ian field" <> wrote in message
    >> Previously my PC booted directly into the desktop, but since installing
    >> Pinnacle/Dazzle instant DVD recorder, the PC boots to a login screen with
    >> an icon for my name. This is very inconvenient as I have to intervene to
    >> complete booting up instead of doing something else while the PC gets
    >> going.
    >>
    >> Please can anyone tell me how to correct this, uninstalling Pinnacle
    >> doesn't restore things the way they were.
    >>
    >> TIA.
    >>

    > Do you connect to the internet? Do you have sensitive data on your
    > machine? Although you may be the only USER, do other people see the
    > machine or could have access to it when your back is turned?
    > if you say yes to any of those then you should a) keep the log-in and FAR
    > more importantly, b) PASSWORD it!

    Its used for browsing, downloading data sheets and visiting newsgroups - no
    sensitive data whatsoever.
    ian field, Dec 18, 2007
  5. ian field

    Gordon Guest

    "ian field" <> wrote in message

    > "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    >> "ian field" <> wrote in message
    >>> Previously my PC booted directly into the desktop, but since installing
    >>> Pinnacle/Dazzle instant DVD recorder, the PC boots to a login screen
    >>> with an icon for my name. This is very inconvenient as I have to
    >>> intervene to complete booting up instead of doing something else while
    >>> the PC gets going.
    >>>
    >>> Please can anyone tell me how to correct this, uninstalling Pinnacle
    >>> doesn't restore things the way they were.
    >>>
    >>> TIA.
    >>>

    >> Do you connect to the internet? Do you have sensitive data on your
    >> machine? Although you may be the only USER, do other people see the
    >> machine or could have access to it when your back is turned?
    >> if you say yes to any of those then you should a) keep the log-in and FAR
    >> more importantly, b) PASSWORD it!
    >>

    > Its used for browsing, downloading data sheets and visiting newsgroups -
    > no sensitive data whatsoever.

    but it connects to the internet. It's a bad idea security-wise to NOT have a
    username and password. That's why Windows gets attacked so much - because
    people don't practice secure computing.
    Do you have a GOOD firewall? An AV program? Both those are almost useless
    without a strong password-protected user account AND a strong password on
    the built-in administrator account...
    Gordon, Dec 18, 2007
  6. ian field

    ian field Guest

    "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 13:38:26 GMT, "ian field" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Previously my PC booted directly into the desktop, but since installing
    >>Pinnacle/Dazzle instant DVD recorder, the PC boots to a login screen with
    >>an
    >>icon for my name. This is very inconvenient as I have to intervene to
    >>complete booting up instead of doing something else while the PC gets
    >>going.
    >>
    >>Please can anyone tell me how to correct this, uninstalling Pinnacle
    >>doesn't
    >>restore things the way they were.

    > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=bypass login screen xp&btnG=Google Search

    The first hit was theeldergeek - following their instructions made things
    *much* worse!!!

    Instead of restoring no intervention on boot up, it demanded a password to
    get past the login screen - it didn't accept the pre-entered password I'd
    filled in while following theeldergeek instructions to the letter, this also
    messed up the shutdown buttons, reverting to a 95/98 style pulldown menu for
    the options instead of the individual buttons on XP.

    It also wiped out my internet settings - I had to do a system restore to
    clean the mess up!
    ian field, Dec 18, 2007
  7. "ian field" <> wrote in

    > Previously my PC booted directly into the desktop,
    > but since installing Pinnacle/Dazzle instant DVD
    > recorder, the PC boots to a login screen with an
    > icon for my name. This is very inconvenient as I
    > have to intervene to complete booting up instead
    > of doing something else while the PC gets going.
    >
    > Please can anyone tell me how to correct this,
    > uninstalling Pinnacle doesn't restore things
    > the way they were. > > TIA.

    I'd be tempted to first uninstall the apparently offending
    Pinnacle (based on your information provided), then System
    Restore to a point previous to the installation. Then reboot.

    The OS of your PC might be material and relevant, as would
    be the the number of user account options available.

    If you're playing on an XP system, this may be helpful :

    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

    --

    http://www.collegehumor.com/picture:1764440

    Best wishes to all but the Dutch and other godless terrorists
    for a mindless, safe and joyous pagan holiday shopping season!
    Bucky Breeder, Dec 18, 2007
  8. ian field

    beamish Guest

    "ian field" <> wrote in message
    > Previously my PC booted directly into the desktop, but since installing
    > Pinnacle/Dazzle instant DVD recorder, the PC boots to a login screen with
    > an icon for my name. This is very inconvenient as I have to intervene to
    > complete booting up instead of doing something else while the PC gets
    > going.
    >
    > Please can anyone tell me how to correct this, uninstalling Pinnacle
    > doesn't restore things the way they were.
    >
    > TIA.

    Hello: This worked for my computer.
    Click Start, Run and type CONTROL USERPASSWORDS2, and click Ok. Select the
    user account from the list (the account to which you want to automatically
    logon). Uncheck Users must enter a user name and password to use this
    computer option, and click Ok. Type the user account password and complete
    the process.

    For Windows XP Home, don't try to auto-login as the built-in Administrator,
    as you'll receive an error message

    The changes will work the next time you restart your computer.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315231

    How to Enable Automatic Logon in Windows

    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/autologon.htm

    Configure Windows XP to Automatically Login Add Control UserPasswords2 to
    the Control Panel (Line 1)

    take care.

    beamish.
    beamish, Dec 18, 2007