Logic Units Assignation

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Mark Renton, Jul 3, 2004.

  1. Mark Renton

    Mark Renton Guest

    Well, let me explain the problem: i have 2 phisical hard disks, i did
    split the slave one in two partitions: 4840 Mb and 10700 Mb because i
    wanted to reinstall windows in the 4838 one. I did it but i couldn't
    install microsoft shit due to a problem that the installer program
    said it couldn't read from the last cluster of the unit, even if when
    i ran scandisk no problems merged...
    then i restricted the damaged portion to exclude the "damaged"
    cluster, so i have now a 4839 Mb and 10700 Mb parts, the smaller which
    is empty and the other with old data (very important data!!), and i
    assigned this big portion to logic units with Fdisk
    Then i procedeed with the installation of windows in the 4039 part
    without any problem, but now the 10700 results unreadable and not
    existing for windows and dos, i can see it only from Fdisk, but i
    can't access, and if i see details, in the Unit Label is written
    *remote*, so i thought that removing the logic units from the portion
    was a good idea, but when i try it with Fdisk, it warns me that all
    contents of the LOGIC UNIT will be deleted, in effects it doesn't say
    that the disk will be deleted.....anyway, is there a way to access the
    portion to make a backup and later try to remove the logic unit or can
    i remove it without any problems of data loss???

    I REALLY NEED HELP
    THANKYOU ANYWAY
    Mark

    Mark Renton, Jul 3, 2004

  2. Mark Renton

    Trent© Guest

    Mark Renton wrote:
    > Well, let me explain the problem: i have 2 phisical hard disks, i did
    > split the slave one in two partitions

    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

    Trent©, Jul 3, 2004

  3. Mark Renton

    Pen Guest

    did you ever format the 10700 MB part?

    Pen, Jul 3, 2004
  4. Mark Renton

    Mark Renton Guest

    "Pen" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > did you ever format the 10700 MB part?

    no, and i can't, cos it contains very important data i have to keep,
    THIS is the problem!!! and the fact that anyway i can't access the
    part except with Fdisk, so i can't backup and i can only remove the
    logic unit, so the question IS: if i remove the logic unit (which i
    made when my important data were ALREADY saved on that part), will the
    data be lost???

    Mark Renton, Jul 4, 2004
  5. Mark Renton

    Pen Guest

    I really don't understand what you did. However, I
    think you split the drive into 2 partitions with FDisk?
    If so then the data is gone and has been ever since you did that.
    Now there are tools to try and recover the data and perhaps
    someone else can suggest some more, here's one I found.
    http://www.uneraser.com/

    Pen, Jul 4, 2004