    given point in time.

    Any suggestions? I'm looking something that would work on XP and 2000.

    thanks
    Deano, Jan 1, 2006

  2. Deano

    Alan Guest

    Deano wrote:
    > Friend of mine has buggered up his laptop - again. Naturally he doesn't
    > know what happened. It got me to thinking - is there a Windows application
    > I could install, with the owner's permission, that would log every change to
    > the system? I'd like something that was comprehensive and easier to read
    > and monitor than the event viewer. I would really like to be able to say
    > "hey your virus checker hasn't been updated in 4 months" or "you installed
    > program x on so and so date".
    >
    > I know that event viewer provides alot of detail but something that offers
    > more features would be useful, like a snapshot of the pc's health at any
    > given point in time.
    >
    > Any suggestions? I'm looking something that would work on XP and 2000.
    >
    > thanks

    Its called a system restore. Rollback the computer a week or 2 ago
    before he/it got buggered - (and you bugged)
    Alan, Jan 1, 2006

  3. Deano

    Deano Guest

    Alan wrote:
    > Deano wrote:
    >> Friend of mine has buggered up his laptop - again. Naturally he
    >> doesn't know what happened. It got me to thinking - is there a
    >> Windows application I could install, with the owner's permission,
    >> that would log every change to the system? I'd like something that
    >> was comprehensive and easier to read and monitor than the event
    >> viewer. I would really like to be able to say "hey your virus
    >> checker hasn't been updated in 4 months" or "you installed program x
    >> on so and so date".
    >>
    >> I know that event viewer provides alot of detail but something that
    >> offers more features would be useful, like a snapshot of the pc's
    >> health at any given point in time.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions? I'm looking something that would work on XP and
    >> 2000.
    >>
    >> thanks
    >>

    > Its called a system restore. Rollback the computer a week or 2 ago
    > before he/it got buggered - (and you bugged)

    Hmm, not quite what I was after. I know that system restore is not a
    fool-proof way of operating although it's better than nothing - and of
    course he didn't have a clue that System Restore even existed. In a way I
    can't blame him for that - XP never achieved it's aim of being a secure and
    reliable platform for people who can just about use Word. Personally I now
    use HyperOS on my laptop which is the best bit of Windows software I think I
    have bought.

    The point is I'm after something that provides info about how and why a
    given system has arrived at it's current condition, or at least useful
    pointers for the future. The idea being that I could educate the silly berk
    and he could stop saying things like "the world is against me" and start to
    understand how to look after his computer properly.

    What does everyone else feel about sorting out these problems? Personally
    I'm past fixing people's pcs now, really can't be bothered when it's more
    than likely to happen again. I might start charging soon. Even at work, if
    people find out you know a moderate amount about computers I find they
    suddenly want your help! I blame admin accounts on Windows....
    Deano, Jan 1, 2006
  4. Deano wrote:

    > Friend of mine has buggered up his laptop - again. Naturally he doesn't
    > know what happened. It got me to thinking - is there a Windows
    > application I could install, with the owner's permission, that would log
    > every change to
    > the system? I'd like something that was comprehensive and easier to
    > read
    > and monitor than the event viewer. I would really like to be able to
    > say "hey your virus checker hasn't been updated in 4 months" or "you
    > installed program x on so and so date".
    >
    > I know that event viewer provides alot of detail but something that
    > offers more features would be useful, like a snapshot of the pc's health
    > at any given point in time.
    >
    > Any suggestions? I'm looking something that would work on XP and 2000.
    >
    > thanks

    Try ftp://ftp.microforge.net/pub/iml10.exe.

    However, it's a good idea to create 2 accounts for your friend: one for
    daily work and surfing _without_ admin privilege, and another one - with
    some added inconvenience for daily work and surfing - for software
    installs, as admin. Also instruct your friend, that he may as well
    "run-as" the admin for installs with pressing the shift key.
    If he only has XPHome, there are guidelines on how to upgrade
    functionality.
    Linux 2.6.12-mm2 [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]
    Walter Mautner, Jan 1, 2006
  5. Deano

    Deano Guest

    Walter Mautner wrote:

    > Try ftp://ftp.microforge.net/pub/iml10.exe.
    >
    > However, it's a good idea to create 2 accounts for your friend: one
    > for daily work and surfing _without_ admin privilege, and another one
    > - with some added inconvenience for daily work and surfing - for
    > software installs, as admin. Also instruct your friend, that he may
    > as well "run-as" the admin for installs with pressing the shift key.
    > If he only has XPHome, there are guidelines on how to upgrade
    > functionality.

    Cheers, good advice, i'll check out the program.
    Deano, Jan 1, 2006
  6. Deano

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Deano" <> wrote in message
    > Alan wrote:
    >> Deano wrote:
    >>> Friend of mine has buggered up his laptop - again. Naturally he
    >>> doesn't know what happened. It got me to thinking - is there a
    >>> Windows application I could install, with the owner's permission,
    >>> that would log every change to the system? I'd like something that
    >>> was comprehensive and easier to read and monitor than the event
    >>> viewer. I would really like to be able to say "hey your virus
    >>> checker hasn't been updated in 4 months" or "you installed program x
    >>> on so and so date".
    >>>
    >>> I know that event viewer provides alot of detail but something that
    >>> offers more features would be useful, like a snapshot of the pc's
    >>> health at any given point in time.
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions? I'm looking something that would work on XP and
    >>> 2000.
    >>>
    >>> thanks
    >>>

    >> Its called a system restore. Rollback the computer a week or 2 ago
    >> before he/it got buggered - (and you bugged)

    > Hmm, not quite what I was after. I know that system restore is not a
    > fool-proof way of operating although it's better than nothing - and of
    > course he didn't have a clue that System Restore even existed. In a way I
    > can't blame him for that - XP never achieved it's aim of being a secure
    > and
    > reliable platform for people who can just about use Word. Personally I
    > now
    > use HyperOS on my laptop which is the best bit of Windows software I think
    > have bought.
    >
    > The point is I'm after something that provides info about how and why a
    > given system has arrived at it's current condition, or at least useful
    > pointers for the future. The idea being that I could educate the silly
    > berk
    > and he could stop saying things like "the world is against me" and start
    > understand how to look after his computer properly.
    >
    > What does everyone else feel about sorting out these problems? Personally
    > I'm past fixing people's pcs now, really can't be bothered when it's more
    > than likely to happen again. I might start charging soon. Even at work,
    > if
    > people find out you know a moderate amount about computers I find they
    > suddenly want your help!

    You put yourself there and no one or no thing *helped* you do it.

    Duane :)

    Duane
    Duane Arnold, Jan 1, 2006
  7. Deano the candle chandler squeaked:

    > Friend of mine has buggered his laptop - again. Naturally he doesn't
    > know what happened.

    Hahaha... Alcohol abuse.
    --
    tatty water (ta-tee-wa-ta) : n. Spud juice; semen. Literally 'potato water'.
    Nimeikamilisha Sieciarz, Jan 1, 2006
  8. "Deano" <> schreef in bericht

    Fam. Maagdenberg, Jan 2, 2006