    address.

    Thanks

    Ewan.

    Ewan McNab, Jan 5, 2010

  2. Ewan McNab <> writes:
    >We have a Cisco 1721 router that is connected to a leased line for
    >connecting our network to the mobile GPRS network.

    >Is it possible on this router to log the size of packets, by IP address,
    >of any data that is passed over the leased line? Ideally to send info
    >back to a server so can be logged in a database for later viewing.

    >All I'm interested in is logging the size of packet, and the remote IP
    >address.

    Sounds like you want some sort of packet accounting records. Its not going
    to be too easy or reliable I'm afraid with a 1721.

    The only way to get the info you want is via Netflow which I've heard
    isn't always in IOS on a 1721, even if cisco FN says it is. After that,
    you'll have to setup a server to collect the flow data, and
    consolidate a report on what you want displayed.

    It may be easier to have a sniffer box setup one steap ahead of the
    router to see what is going through, and logging it there.

    Something like www.ntop.org/overview.html may be of interest. (Which
    can use either Netflow or sniffer records).

    Doug McIntyre, Jan 5, 2010