    but I had to admit I didn't know the answer.

    Thanks in advance!
    John

    PPP Does NOT Equal Ping Pong Paddle, Feb 17, 2006

  2. PPP Does NOT Equal Ping Pong Paddle

    me Guest

    screensaver password is not an admin password. Totally different, and
    anyone can set up a screensaver and put a password on it, so that when you
    try to bring the computer out of the screensaver--the password is required
    or you won't be able to do it, Is the account locked in one of the user
    modes, or in the admin mode? If in admin, then someone played with the
    acct. and set up a password for it--very simple to do. At least this is my
    opinion.

    Try logging on in safe mode by repeatedly hitting F5 about once a second
    after you reboot the computer and see if it will let you bypass the
    screensaver password. Something similar happened to me once and I bypassed
    it through safe mode--and it was an admin password as well..

    me, Feb 17, 2006

  3. She should be able to logon as an administrator while the computer is locked
    and the locked message should say that assuming she has an administrator
    account other then the built in administrator account that is only available
    by booting into Safe Mode for XP Home. If all else fails shutting down the
    computer and then turning it back on should allow her to logon. -- Steve

    Steven L Umbach, Feb 18, 2006
  4. PPP Does NOT Equal Ping Pong Paddle

    J. Clarke Guest

    PPP Does NOT Equal Ping Pong Paddle wrote:

    > ENVIRONMENT:
    > I got a call last night from a friend that has a houseful of Foreign
    > Exchange students that all share her PC (running Windows XP Home
    > Edition). I configured her PC so they all (her and the kids) have
    > Limited accounts for day-to-day use, plus she has an Admin account for
    > maintenance. (I really wish MS would have made the Power User group an
    > option on the Home Edition--if anyone knows a way, I'm all ears.)
    >
    > She needed to get on to do a report for her boss but the PC was locked
    > by one of their screensavers. Seeing as she's the Admin, how can one
    > take control of a PC that's locked by a user? This question seems basic,
    > but I had to admit I didn't know the answer.

    Is this a Microsoft screen saver that comes with Windows or is it
    third-party? If it's third party then power off and restart and you should
    be able to go in as administrator. If it's Microsoft, it should let you
    give it the administrator login and password and log out the active user.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate

    J. Clarke, Feb 18, 2006
  5. PPP Does NOT Equal Ping Pong Paddle

    Ian Guest

    > ENVIRONMENT:
    > I got a call last night from a friend that has a houseful of Foreign
    > Exchange students that all share her PC (running Windows XP Home Edition).
    > I configured her PC so they all (her and the kids) have Limited accounts
    > for day-to-day use, plus she has an Admin account for maintenance. (I
    > really wish MS would have made the Power User group an option on the Home
    > Edition--if anyone knows a way, I'm all ears.)
    >
    > She needed to get on to do a report for her boss but the PC was locked by
    > one of their screensavers. Seeing as she's the Admin, how can one take
    > control of a PC that's locked by a user? This question seems basic, but I
    > had to admit I didn't know the answer.
    >
    > Thanks in advance!
    > John

    I'm not sure how this works when locked via a screen saver password, but try
    hitting ctrl-alt-delete twice and xp home will pop up a logon window when
    you are at the windows welcome screen. Incidentally I think you can log on
    to the built in admin account this way.

    Ian

    Ian, Feb 19, 2006
  6. Re: Logging on as Administrator when a user's screensaver has PClocked

    I told her to try hitting the Windows key + L next time it happens--see
    if that didn't bring her to XP's login screen.

    I wish I had seen this problem first hand, but I didn't. As the previous
    poster mentioned, the user could have installed a screensaver. Well,
    that was true when they all shared a single Admin level account (the
    default out of the box from MS... grrrrrrrrrrr), but now that student is
    on a limited account--so this is something he installed on that computer
    before I got to it and created individual accounts. The worst part is,
    this foreign exchange student's native language is Thai, so I can't read
    anything he's put on that machine.

    Thanks for the reply, Steve!

    John

    WinXP_Powered, Feb 19, 2006